Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 12:26:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The best selling FPGA board  (Read 10326 times)
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
March 23, 2012, 02:55:54 AM

Excellent summary, TheSeven. Soon wondermine will apparently be producing his nanominer, and the projected sale price according to him fits in nicely.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
TheSeven

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

FPGA Mining LLC

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2012, 03:07:47 AM

Excellent summary, TheSeven. Soon wondermine will apparently be producing his nanominer, and the projected sale price according to him fits in nicely.

Competition doesn't sleep though!

Looks like basically all other FPGA board vendors are considering backplane setups as well now, except maybe for ztex.

My tip jar: 13kwqR7B4WcSAJCYJH1eXQcxG5vVUwKAqY
CA Coins
Donator

Activity: 305

View Profile
March 23, 2012, 05:10:12 AM

TheSeven, nice summary and thanks for working on the MPBM support for ztex. 

Are you getting high CPU load for the ztex boards with MPBM?  Ztex's java process doesn't use the CPU much and will run on an atom.  There was a bug during firmware programming that caused high CPU loads that was fixed.
TheSeven

FPGA Mining LLC

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2012, 05:42:05 AM

Are you getting high CPU load for the ztex boards with MPBM?  Ztex's java process doesn't use the CPU much and will run on an atom.  There was a bug during firmware programming that caused high CPU loads that was fixed.

Well, I said relatively high. It's like 5-10% per board on a dualcore 1.8GHz atom, and most of that can probably be done way more efficiently in C or even Java. It's just a damn lot compared to those <1% needed by the SimpleRS232 or Icarus protocol.

CA Coins
Donator

Activity: 305

View Profile
March 23, 2012, 06:10:08 AM

I see.  Thanks for the clarification.
torusJKL

Activity: 619

View Profile
March 23, 2012, 07:28:03 AM

X6500 Rev. 3:
  • Relatively high miner software CPU load due to interface design issues, will be fixed in future revisions

Is that a hardware problem that will be fixed with future revisions of the board or is it software and we can expect a fix also for rev 2 and rev 3 boards?

If you find my post useful send some Bitcoin: 167XM1Za8aG9CdbYuHFMpL2kvPsw6uC8da
Bitrated || bitcoin-otc || Moon Bitcoin Faucet
TheSeven

FPGA Mining LLC

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2012, 10:25:22 AM

X6500 Rev. 3:
  • Relatively high miner software CPU load due to interface design issues, will be fixed in future revisions

Is that a hardware problem that will be fixed with future revisions of the board or is it software and we can expect a fix also for rev 2 and rev 3 boards?

It's a hardware issue, but it isn't as bad as you might think. It just means running more than about 10 boards with an atom host might cause high stales.

DeepBit
Donator

Activity: 532
Merit: 501

We have cookies

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2012, 11:12:26 AM

Shipped from USA
It's not a pro, may be even the opposite :)

Welcome to my bitcoin mining pool: https://deepbit.net ~ 3600 GH/s, Both payment schemes, instant payout, no invalid blocks !
Coming soon: ICBIT Trading platform
Dhomochevsky (OP)

Activity: 242
Merit: 251

View Profile
March 23, 2012, 11:17:03 AM

I agree with that, it's highly subjective. For example, for me it's a con. Shipping from china is much better. Arrives in a week and some change, and I pay no duties. From the USA though it will take about 2 weeks, and I need to pay almost 50% duties.
rupy

Activity: 725

View Profile
March 23, 2012, 11:53:50 AM

Well, I said relatively high. It's like 5-10% per board on a dualcore 1.8GHz atom, and most of that can probably be done way more efficiently in C or even Java. It's just a damn lot compared to those <1% needed by the SimpleRS232 or Icarus protocol.

No, your setup is buggy, my 5 card cluster has 0% CPU usage on D510MO Atom with Java 1.6 on Suse.

BANKBOOK GWT Wallet & no-FIAT Billing API
TheSeven

FPGA Mining LLC

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2012, 02:14:08 PM

Are you getting high CPU load for the ztex boards with MPBM?  Ztex's java process doesn't use the CPU much and will run on an atom.  There was a bug during firmware programming that caused high CPU loads that was fixed.

No, your setup is buggy, my 5 card cluster has 0% CPU usage on D510MO Atom with Java 1.6 on Suse.

I would not call it buggy. It's by design. Java is just a lot more efficient than Python, and ztex's interface stresses this a lot. Each board worker needs to calculate about 20 SHA256 hashes per second on the host CPU, and this is currently implemented as python code, which is just generally slow for that kind of thing.
I might be able to use hashlib to improve this particular worker, but I can't use it in a lot of other places because it can't calculate midstates.
But then there's still the rather inefficient (iterating over all possible clock multipliers 10 times a second) overclocking algorithm. It could probably be optimized as well, but I'll stick with it for now for safety reasons, and to avoid unneccessary warranty/liability issues with ztex.

In any case, ztex boards need a relatively high amount of host-side calculations, which should better be done on the board's MCU (if it would be capable enough, which that EZ-USB crap probably isn't). That's what I'd call a bug. With other boards, the miner software just has to push work and gets notified if a nonce was found, which is less than 10% of the CPU usage that ztex's interface needs, usually <1% absolute (and would probably be <0.1% on your CPU, if implemented in Java).

torusJKL

Activity: 619

View Profile
March 23, 2012, 03:01:37 PM

I would not call it buggy. It's by design. Java is just a lot more efficient than Python, and ztex's interface stresses this a lot. Each board worker needs to calculate about 20 SHA256 hashes per second on the host CPU, and this is currently implemented as python code, which is just generally slow for that kind of thing.
I might be able to use hashlib to improve this particular worker, but I can't use it in a lot of other places because it can't calculate midstates.
But then there's still the rather inefficient (iterating over all possible clock multipliers 10 times a second) overclocking algorithm. It could probably be optimized as well, but I'll stick with it for now for safety reasons, and to avoid unneccessary warranty/liability issues with ztex.

How does the design of X6500 rev 2 & 3 compare to the Ztex in repsect of the CPU load?
Why is the Icarus protocol better if the problem is the host side SHA256 calculation?

If you find my post useful send some Bitcoin: 167XM1Za8aG9CdbYuHFMpL2kvPsw6uC8da
Bitrated || bitcoin-otc || Moon Bitcoin Faucet
TheSeven

FPGA Mining LLC

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2012, 04:10:13 PM

How does the design of X6500 rev 2 & 3 compare to the Ztex in repsect of the CPU load?

No difference between rev. 2 and rev. 3.
The kind of workload is very different between the ztex and x6500 board, on the latter it is more I/O bound, while ztex is just CPU-intensive.
I'd expect the x6500 to be slightly worse than the ztex here. In my tests 10 x6500 boards on a quadcore atom were utilizing 1.5-2 CPU cores, while 2 ztex boards were like 10-20% load on one core of a dualcore atom. This wasn't tested on the same machine, so there might be some more factors coming into play here, but I think you get a general idea of what it looks like.
IMHO this is the only drawback that the x6500 currently has, compared to the other boards, and this will definitely be redesigned in a future board revision.

Why is the Icarus protocol better if the problem is the host side SHA256 calculation?

Because for an Icarus worker, the host will only have to calculate one SHA256 per difficulty 1 share that was found, while on the ztex it's 20 per second additionally. Also, the ztex board will need to be polled for shares every 100 milliseconds (configurable), while the Icarus board will report shares by itself via an interrupt endpoint.

rupy

Activity: 725

View Profile
March 23, 2012, 04:18:38 PM

Ah, sorry it was related to MPBM.  Embarrassed

BANKBOOK GWT Wallet & no-FIAT Billing API
BFL-Engineer

Activity: 227
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2012, 04:45:38 PM

We are very happy to see that based on FPGA mining LLCs research,
it turns out that their products is the best that there is on the market Smiley

Good Luck,

BF Labs Inc.  www.butterflylabs.com   -  Bitcoin Mining Hardware
TheSeven

FPGA Mining LLC

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2012, 04:53:31 PM

Good Luck,

Actually I asked several people if they could name any more cons, because I feared exactly this would happen. They couldn't come up with any either.
Hm, now that I think of it, "not supported by cgminer" might be another one...

Can you name some more cons? I'd very happily listen to that. Everyone learns from their mistakes, and the JTAG-based protocol definitely was one.
Some of the cons that I listed for the other boards were present on the x6500 rev. 2 as well, but have been fixed in rev. 3.

I'd really appreciate it if some more experts on this area (whether affiliated with one of the board vendors or not) could chime in and make a better (and neutral) comparison chart. This whould probably be taken to some wiki (http://wiki.btcfpga.com/?) though.

rjk

Activity: 448

1ngldh

View Profile
March 23, 2012, 04:57:41 PM

Actually I asked several people if they could name any more cons, because I feared exactly this would happen. They couldn't come up with any either.

Can you name some more cons? I'd very happily listen to that. Everyone learns from their mistakes, and the JTAG-based protocol definitely was one.
Some of the cons that I listed for the other boards were present on the x6500 rev. 2 as well, but have been fixed in rev. 3.

I'd really appreciate it if some more experts on this area (whether affiliated with one of the board vendors or not) could chime in and make a better (and neutral) comparison chart. This whould probably be taken to some wiki (http://wiki.btcfpga.com/?) though.
The only other thing I can think of is that Ztex seems to have far lower power use than any of the others. Isn't it like 8 watts for a single chip at 200Mhash? If you double that for 2 chips that makes 16 watts, which is still lower than x6500 iirc.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
P_Shep
Legendary

Activity: 1795
Merit: 1198

This is not OK.

View Profile
March 23, 2012, 05:17:00 PM
Last edit: March 23, 2012, 06:23:40 PM by P_Shep

Good Luck,
fizzisist

Activity: 720
Merit: 525

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2012, 06:09:39 PM

The only other thing I can think of is that Ztex seems to have far lower power use than any of the others. Isn't it like 8 watts for a single chip at 200Mhash? If you double that for 2 chips that makes 16 watts, which is still lower than x6500 iirc.

Actually, we have some power measurements here (albeit on just one board right now, so the sample size is pretty small): http://fpgamining.com/documentation/hardware/power-measurements

Turns out we're in the same ballpark: 16.4 W at 400 MH/s.

TheSeven

FPGA Mining LLC

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2012, 06:16:17 PM

Well yeah, half the power for half the hashes...

fizzisist beat me to posting the x6500 numbers, but the ztex is told to be 9.4W for 190-230MH/s.

So there isn't really all that much difference among the FPGA boards in general, except for BFL  Roll Eyes

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: