Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 04:01:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Marketing Agency Uses Homeless As Wi-Fi Hotspots  (Read 4779 times)
HostFat (OP)
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 1203

I support freedom of choice

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2012, 03:26:10 PM

"Marketing agency Bartle Bogle Hegarty (BBH) has launched a controversial charity scheme at this year's South by Southwest festival, in which homeless people are being used to provide Wi-Fi hotspots. The project, Homeless Hotspots, seeks to address people's need for a high-speed data connection at the festival in Austin, Texas, by issuing the homeless with T-shirts that say 'I am a 4G hotspot.' Passers-by may then pay what they wish either in cash or by PayPal to get online 4G networks via the Wi-Fi device that a homeless person is carrying and the proceeds go to the Front Steps Homeless shelter in Austin."
http://tech.slashdot.org/story/12/03/12/1413239/marketing-agency-uses-homeless-as-wi-fi-hotspots

I see some good ideas Smiley

NON DO ASSISTENZA PRIVATA - http://hostfatmind.com
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
March 12, 2012, 03:30:38 PM

... Couldn't they just hide devices and charge via PayPal or use something like DD-WRT's ad service?

What happens when the homeless person wants to walk somewhere else? Will there be a mob of weirdos walking around with the homeless so they don't move out of the service area?
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2012, 03:51:26 PM
Last edit: March 12, 2012, 04:09:12 PM by Phinnaeus Gage

... Couldn't they just hide devices and charge via PayPal or use something like DD-WRT's ad service?

What happens when the homeless person wants to walk somewhere else? Will there be a mob of weirdos walking around with the homeless so they don't move out of the service area?

Stay tuned! I have a feeling I'm going to like this thread, for it's right up my alley (no pun intended). First, allow me to read the article that the OP was so kind to offer up. I dearly hope it sparks creative juices (normally activated when I tickle my fancy).

~Bruno~

EDIT:

Read it but, moreover, read what was linked from it, along with the comments (won't take long for you to do the same). http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2012/03/the-damning-backstory-behind-homeless-hotspots-at-sxswi/
I believe it best if you read what I linked to before providing further comment.
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
March 12, 2012, 03:53:48 PM

This is awesome.

This sounds like the ridiculous bullshit I would come up with.

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2012, 04:11:41 PM
Last edit: March 12, 2012, 05:52:45 PM by Phinnaeus Gage

This is awesome.

Speaking of, on what page have you decided to place the newly created section entitled Twunker starting with the forthcoming second issue of Bitcoin Magazine?

~Cackling Bear~

EDIT: http://www.buzzfeed.com/jwherrman/the-sxsw-homeless-hotspots-everyones-flippi
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
March 12, 2012, 06:46:33 PM

This is awesome.

Yes it does Matthew, and yes it's totally awesome Smiley
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2012, 08:33:40 PM

SXSW or March 2012 BitCon? Dilemma! Need to flip a virtual coin for this one.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2012, 09:03:13 PM
Last edit: March 12, 2012, 09:25:43 PM by Phinnaeus Gage

Boy, did I have an excellent idea after viewing this: http://www.ted.com/talks/morgan_spurlock_the_greatest_ted_talk_ever_sold.html

Then discovered that one of Matthew's cousin already stole the idea from me: http://www.bumvertising.com/

Therefore, I needed to brainfart a hybrid idea.

1. Normal Bum Sign
2. Ad Sign
3. Free WiFi Hotspot
4. Rinse/Repeat
5. Profit

Cosbycoin

Activity: 980
Merit: 506

View Profile
March 12, 2012, 09:38:15 PM

Boy, did I have an excellent idea after viewing this: http://www.ted.com/talks/morgan_spurlock_the_greatest_ted_talk_ever_sold.html

Then discovered that one of Matthew's cousin already stole the idea from me: http://www.bumvertising.com/

Therefore, I needed to brainfart a hybrid idea.

1. Normal Bum Sign
2. Ad Sign
3. Free WiFi Hotspot
4. Rinse/Repeat
5. Profit

Wow....now let's get some bums to advertise bitcoin! lol
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2012, 09:50:21 PM

Duh! Sure as hell wasn't twunkin' 'bout "coinvertising" (thought you'll like) them delicious Girl Scouts cookies (price increased to $.20 USD per cookie this year).

To make it truly more profitable for these less fortunate souls, they can put their FirstBit addresses on their signs, thereby allowing them to amass a nest egg for their retirement.

They can go from this:

To this:

In the matter of a couple short years, all thanks to Bitcoin.

~Bruno~
Cosbycoin

Activity: 980
Merit: 506

View Profile
March 12, 2012, 10:17:38 PM

Duh! Sure as hell wasn't twunkin' 'bout "coinvertising" (thought you'll like) them delicious Girl Scouts cookies (price increased to $.20 USD per cookie this year).

To make it truly more profitable for these less fortunate souls, they can put their FirstBit addresses on their signs, thereby allowing them to amass a nest egg for their retirement.

They can go from this:

To this:

In the matter of a couple short years, all thanks to Bitcoin.

~Bruno~

you images depict a bubble if all bums did that lol
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2012, 11:44:05 PM

you images depict a bubble if all bums did that lol

Bubble, hell! Up, up, up! Like a rocket. Look at pic again.

As you can clearly see in the bell curve, the tipping point for Bitcoin occurs when companies start advertising on the Homeless.

~Bruno~
jCole

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 13, 2012, 01:48:32 AM

thats a great idea. Do the homeless make any money from this or just the organization?
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 13, 2012, 03:22:16 PM

thats a great idea. Do the homeless make any money from this or just the organization?

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/03/13/homeless-people-turned-into-walking-wifi-hotspots-in-charitable-experiment/

"I'd do it in a second. Out of every 20 people who sit down at my stand, at least six are on their iPhone or their BlackBerry or something trying to get Internet. I see it as a business opportunity. And you're giving me a shirt, too? I have no problem with it."

You know that this brings a whole new meaning to B2P. Maybe B2N: Bum 2 Net.

Please don't tell me that Homeless people are smarter than we are:

Text 1Danny1 to bitcoin Danny 1 BTC. (used as a verb)
Global BTC

Activity: 529

View Profile WWW
March 13, 2012, 11:14:35 PM

Why does this job need to be given only to homeless people? If they are paid less than a normal worker would be (and they are, since they aren't paid anything at all), I'd say this is profiteering off the poor.

Vitalik Buterin

Activity: 330
Merit: 397

View Profile
March 13, 2012, 11:48:55 PM

Why does this job need to be given only to homeless people? If they are paid less than a normal worker would be (and they are, since they aren't paid anything at all), I'd say this is profiteering off the poor.

I would imagine anyone can take it. It's just that homeless people just happen to be the ones that have the most free time and gain the most marginal value from money. And there is no such thing as a "normal worker"; each job has its own required set of skills and its own supply/demand curve so you can't really say one kind of work is more exploitative than another.

Argumentum ad lunam: the fallacy that because Bitcoin's price is rising really fast the currency must be a speculative bubble and/or Ponzi scheme.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2012, 12:44:48 AM

I would imagine anyone can take it. It's just that homeless people just happen to be the ones that have the most free time and gain the most marginal value from money. And there is no such thing as a "normal worker"; each job has its own required set of skills and its own supply/demand curve so you can't really say one kind of work is more exploitative than another.

Take a moment to view this video. Perhaps you, the reader, will gain a different perspective on this important issue. http://video.foxnews.com/v/1503882449001/homeless-turned-into-4g-hotspots

~Bruno~
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
March 14, 2012, 02:10:03 AM

Because they have the least chance to make money.

(Except the ones in Laguna Beach, CA which can make upwords of $100 a day just begging to tourists, which they throw away on alcohol nightly. The $100, not the tourists.)

LoupGaroux

Activity: 574
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 14, 2012, 02:30:18 AM

Because they have the least chance to make money.

(Except the ones in Laguna Beach, CA which can make upwords of $100 a day just begging to tourists, which they throw away on alcohol nightly. The $100, not the tourists.)

Been to Laguna Beach lately? Throw away as many tourists as you want, there will be more in the morning.
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
March 14, 2012, 02:34:52 AM

Been to Laguna Beach lately? Throw away as many tourists as you want, there will be more in the morning.

Not lately. I lived there and managed some retail businesses there in the last decade though.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: