Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 12:33:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Judge Shoots Down ‘Bitcoin Isn’t Money’ Argument in Silk Road Trial  (Read 1911 times)
keanbosch (OP)

Activity: 72
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 02:50:56 PM

http://www.ahametals.com/judge-shoots-bitcoin-isnt-money-argument-silk-road-trial/

“It’s money 2.0, a huge huge huge deal.”
Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 03:11:48 PM

Wow, that is pretty stern language in the opinion. Pretty clear indication of which way this "impartial" judge is leaning. There will be some important case law established in this trial.

roslinpl
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1199

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2014, 04:02:09 PM

Huehue Smiley

"Bitcoin isn't money" Smiley

But it is worth a lot of money in a same time Cheesy

DannyElfman

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 04:31:32 PM

This is really not a surprise as the Ulbright team made a very weak argument in reference to the money laundering charge.

I think the other charges are questionable since AFAIK he did not actually sell any of the drugs, but rather ran the website. I think the charges are similar to bringing charges against this forums mods for scams done by other users.

With that being said the muder for hire accusations are very troubling and I am very curious as to why he was not charged with these crimes, even though the murders were apparently not carried out (he could be charged with solicitation of trying to hire a hitman, or whatever the appropriate name of the charge would be). 

This spot for rent.
commandrix

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 04:50:04 PM

It's like suing major league baseball teams because some fans of one team beat up a fan of a rival team. (Really happened.) I've kind of assumed that what happens outside of the stadium is really not the baseball teams' problem unless maybe some of the players and/or team employees were involved. But the court ruled that the baseball team was partially liable.

What I think is that maybe Silk Road should have done a better job of policing its own site, but when you get to a certain size, it's like Youtube, which doesn't know that somebody might be violating copyright law unless someone files a DMCA request.
jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 08:22:38 PM

I think the other charges are questionable since AFAIK he did not actually sell any of the drugs, but rather ran the website. I think the charges are similar to bringing charges against this forums mods for scams done by other users.

Agreed.

With that being said the muder for hire accusations are very troubling and I am very curious as to why he was not charged with these crimes, even though the murders were apparently not carried out (he could be charged with solicitation of trying to hire a hitman, or whatever the appropriate name of the charge would be). 

While I am merely speculating, I would _hope_ the reason he was not so charged was that any discovery process on the part of a competent defense team would uncover evidence of entrapment.

Anyone with a campaign ad in their signature -- for an organization with which they are not otherwise affiliated -- is automatically deducted credibility points.

I've been convicted of heresy. Convicted by a mere known extortionist. Read my Trust for details.
allthingsluxury
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2014, 08:33:53 PM

Wow, that is pretty stern language in the opinion. Pretty clear indication of which way this "impartial" judge is leaning. There will be some important case law established in this trial.

Agreed.

minerpumpkin

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

A pumpkin mines 27 hours a night

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 01:20:10 AM

It's interesting. We'll have to see whether people will take exactly the side that is supporting their argument if it comes to things like this. I mean, well, it can't be argued that Bitcoin possesses a certain value nowadays and can be used as a means of payment

I should have gotten into Bitcoin back in 1992...
DannyElfman

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 04:53:29 AM

Agreed.

While I am merely speculating, I would _hope_ the reason he was not so charged was that any discovery process on the part of a competent defense team would uncover evidence of entrapment.
Well if he was entrapped into soliciting these murders then I would think that the fact that he allegedly solicited these murders would not be able to be used against him either in trying to show probably cause for his case, for his bail hearings, or in his trial.

I might speculate that the government chose not to charge him with these crimes in case he was found not guilty in the crimes he is being charged with now.

This spot for rent.
Ron~Popeil

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 06:08:10 AM

Agreed.

Well if he was entrapped into soliciting these murders then I would think that the fact that he allegedly solicited these murders would not be able to be used against him either in trying to show probably cause for his case, for his bail hearings, or in his trial.

I might speculate that the government chose not to charge him with these crimes in case he was found not guilty in the crimes he is being charged with now.

That is a real possibility. If the murder for hire charges turn out to be true or even look true people will turn on him quickly. I am withholding judgement on it until the prosecution presents their case.

jc01480

Activity: 854
Merit: 500

Nope..

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 07:18:46 AM

Meanwhile, a federal judge just declared Bitcoin as currency.  That decision will come back to haunt the courts and be cited as a court ruling in future arguments of the same nature.
jbreher
Legendary

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 04:43:30 PM

Meanwhile, a federal judge just declared Bitcoin as currency.  

No. The ruling was that bitcoins are 'funds' within the language of the money laundering statutes.

Indeed, the ruling specifically indicates that "Bitcoins can be either used directly to pay for certain things or can act as a medium of exchange and be converted into a currency..."

If Bitcoins can be _converted_ into currency, then they are not in and of themselves currency.

edit: typo

Anyone with a campaign ad in their signature -- for an organization with which they are not otherwise affiliated -- is automatically deducted credibility points.

I've been convicted of heresy. Convicted by a mere known extortionist. Read my Trust for details.
AliceWonder

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 05:05:56 PM

This is really not a surprise as the Ulbright team made a very weak argument in reference to the money laundering charge.

The difference is this forum isn't conspiring with the scammers, which is what DPR is being accused of.

QuarkCoin - what I believe bitcoin was intended to be. On reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/QuarkCoin/
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 05:10:48 PM

Meanwhile, a federal judge just declared Bitcoin as currency.  

No. The ruling was that bitcoins are 'funds' within the language of the money laundering statutes.

Indeed, the ruling specifically indicates that "Bitcoins can be either used directly to pay for certain things or can act as a medium of exchange and be converted into a currency..."

If Bitcoins can be _converted_ into currency, then they are not in and of themselves currency.

edit: typo

But 'funds' are not the same as 'property', so doesn't this court conflict with the major IRS ruling?

AliceWonder

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 05:11:43 PM

With respect to why he wasn't charged with the FC murders, a prosecutor only has one shot. The case would have been really weak, They don't know who FC is, who R&W was (I suspect they were the same), or if any of the people even existed.

If they charge him, a jury decides there isn't enough to convict, and a month later they find better evidence - it's too late. So they dropped the charges because it didn't have high chance of success with the evidence they have. Especially without even identification of FC or R&W.

I suspect he will be charged in Maryland for the alleged hit on his employee, after the NY trial. That wasn't dropped and is still in play.

QuarkCoin - what I believe bitcoin was intended to be. On reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/QuarkCoin/
kokojie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1003

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 05:16:58 PM

It's one thing have scams happen on the forum. It's entirely another thing when you have illegal substance as categories listed for people to buy/sell items in, and also made a ton of forum posts related to these items.

btc: 15sFnThw58hiGHYXyUAasgfauifTEB1ZF6
transient858

Activity: 153

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 05:18:06 PM

What is the odd the accused will be acquitted?
AliceWonder

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 05:23:16 PM

I suspect his only chance is if the defense can demonstrate that evidence was collected illegally and therefore not admissible but Ross appears to have left a pretty clear trail.

What a jury will decide though is very hard to predict.

ajareselde
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 05:53:45 PM

I suspect his only chance is if the defense can demonstrate that evidence was collected illegally and therefore not admissible but Ross appears to have left a pretty clear trail.

What a jury will decide though is very hard to predict.

That is probably his best defense, but i doubt the jury will decide in his favor, knowing he did what he did.
Even when they see how that argument is valid, bad media press that surrounds bitcoin will make them turn their heads to any iragularities in the case.
I think hes in a very bad position, and that he wont get away with it easy.
jbreher
Legendary

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 07:35:15 PM

But 'funds' are not the same as 'property', so doesn't this court conflict with the major IRS ruling?

Well, that is one way to look at it.

However, the IRS is a part of the Executive branch. They have not ruled -- in a judicial sense -- as to the nature of bitcoin. They have stated that _their_interpretation_ of the regulations (CFR), which are in turn an _interpretation_ of the statutes (USC), has led them to issue the _guidance_ (not even binding upon taxpayers, nor the Tax Court) that bitcoins will be _treated_ as property for the express scope of administering the tax code.

This particular court (a single US Circuit?*) has made the judgement that bitcoin should be treated as 'funds' within the application of the money laundering statutes. (*part of the Judicial branch - this is an article III court, right? IIRC)

If the scope of each ruling were universal, these would be interpretations that are in conflict. But their scopes are narrowly defined.

If the SR judge's ruling withstands all appeals, then her ruling that bitcoins are 'funds' for the purpose of the money laundering statutes will become precedent - albeit only within that District, or as high as the appeals process rises.

Guidance from the IRS is legally worthless in any event. Though it does provide ... err ... guidance on what the IRS position is likely to be in any action against a taxpayer - again appealable all the way through Tax Court, US Curcuit, US Court of Appeals, and USSC.

Bear in mind I am merely regurgitating what I believe to be - IANAL.

Edit: emphasis on _treated_

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: