Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 02:36:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The catalyst that will drive BTC over $1000  (Read 4768 times)
Blazin604 (OP)

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 03:14:43 PM

Isn't it obvious that the next catalyst that will cause the price of BTC to increase will be when the winklevos etf starts. As soon as people can start purchasing "COIN" I predict the price of BTC to go to the moon and beyond. We should all be paying very close attention to this.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
RyNinDaCleM
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1009

Legen -wait for it- dary

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 03:28:27 PM

While it would be good news, the ETF already has their coins. Unless they plan on buying more to keep up with their own demand, I don't see how this would directly affect the price other than the news aspect.  Undecided

hellscabane
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 04:33:23 PM

Although that'll likely have a positive affect on bitcoin, I don't see this even having a significant upward impact on the price of bitcoin. More so, I don't see this single event propping the marketcap by over $5B.

It could be a first spark in raising the price that high, but there'll have to be a whole bunch of other events in order for this to happen.
Dalmar

Activity: 1092
Merit: 500

Life is short, practice empathy in your life

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 04:50:58 PM

Although that'll likely have a positive affect on bitcoin, I don't see this even having a significant upward impact on the price of bitcoin. More so, I don't see this single event propping the marketcap by over $5B.

It could be a first spark in raising the price that high, but there'll have to be a whole bunch of other events in order for this to happen.

Look at what the Gold ETFs did to the price of Gold since the early 2000s. Something similar could happen to bitcoin, but even more amplified.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄
▄▄██████████████████████▄
 █████████████▀█████████████▄
▄█████████████▀ ▄█▀ ███████████
▄██████████      ▀▀  ████████████
▄█████████████   ▄▄▄   ▀▀██████████
█████████████▀   ████▄   ▀█████████▄
█████████████    ▀▀█▀▀   ▄██████████
████████████▀   ▄▄      ████████████
████████████   ▄████▄    ███████████
█████████      ██████    ██████████
█████████▄▄            ▄██████████
▀██████████  ██  ▄▄▄▄████████████
▀█████████▄▄█▄ ███████████████▀
▀██████████████████████████▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀▀██████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

B i t c o i n t a l k   ▄▄▄▄▄

DONATION CAMPAIGN

▄
                                   ▄██
               ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄           ▄███
             ▄█████████▄        ████
▄▄▄         ▄████████████     ▄████▀
 ▀██▄▄      █████████████   ▄█████▀
  ▀█████▄   █████████████  ▄██████
    ▀█████▄  ███████████▀▄███████
     ▀██████▄▄▀▀██████▀ ████████▀
       ████████▄      ▄████████▀
        █████████▄  ▄██████████
         █████████████████████
          ████████████████████
          ███████████████████
          ███████████████████
          ██████████████▀▀▀
          ███████▀▀▀▀
          ▀▀▀▀

BE A HOPE
FOR A LIVABLE WORLD
▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄
▄▄███████████████████▄▄
▄▄█████████████████████████▄▄
▄███████████████████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▀██████████
███████████▀       ▀█▀       ▀█████████
███████████▀                    █████████
███████████                     █████████
█████████████                   ███████████
██████████████▄               ▄████████████
████████████████▄▄▄         ▄█▀▀   ████████
███████████▀▀     ▀▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄██     ▄████████
██████▀█▄                ▀▀▀█▄ ▄█████████
██████▄ █▄          ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄███████████
██████▄ ▀█                ▄████████████
██████▄  ██████▄▄▄    ▄██████████████
▀██████▄██████████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████████████████▀
▀▀█████████████████████████▀▀
▀▀███████████████████▀▀
▀▀▀█████████▀▀▀

ONE

little

HELP CHANGES
EVERYTHING

..DONATE..
theonewhowaskazu

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 04:55:50 PM

Look at what the Gold ETFs did to the price of Gold since the early 2000s. Something similar could happen to bitcoin, but even more amplified.

The difference B that gold cant be arbed and thus naked-short-squeezed nearly as easily. Also Btc hasn't an alternative optio.

CryptInvest
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1132

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 04:57:09 PM

Certainly growth is due to the news like receiving payments by Google, ebey and so on. Time is on our side and sooner or later such an event happen.
hellscabane
Legendary

Activity: 896

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 10:14:30 PM

The difference B that gold cant be arbed and thus naked-short-squeezed nearly as easily. Also Btc hasn't an alternative optio.
I admit something similar could happen to bitcoin, but that isn’t necessarily the case per se. If there is a multitude of incoming demand for bitcoin, this would be definitely the case. With gold, one of the key fundamental underlying factors is that gold has consistently had significant demand throughout time. In general, stocks, derivatives, and precious metals/stones continuously garner sustained support. Unfortunately, in the eyes of a lot of the mainstream economy, bitcoin doesn’t.
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 10:22:12 PM

Isn't it obvious that the next catalyst that will cause the price of BTC to increase will be when the winklevos etf starts. As soon as people can start purchasing "COIN" I predict the price of BTC to go to the moon and beyond. We should all be paying very close attention to this.

Not when the trading starts but when it is approved and the official date for trading is announced. The people that buy COIN on the open market will be at the top of a bubble (or at least above today's ATH)
hyphymikey

Activity: 784

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 10:30:44 PM

There are more people wanting bitcoin that will never buy on an exchange than people already invested in bitcoin. People like my father and all his friends that are over 60, I'm talking old money millionaires. The ETF will allow them to get into bitcoin as an investment without having to use an exchange. The ETF will see such a demand that the Winklevii will probably buy 10X more coins than they own over the next 5 years alone. Imagine all the other ETFs that will want to compete with COIN that haven't even bought their initial investment of bitcoins yet.

DEFINITELY A GAME CHANGER COMING SOON.
byronbb
Legendary

Activity: 1414

HODL OR DIE

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 01:02:13 AM

While it would be good news, the ETF already has their coins. Unless they plan on buying more to keep up with their own demand, I don't see how this would directly affect the price other than the news aspect.  Undecided

Because it allows people to enter into huge positions the current exchanges are unable to satisfy. In other words, the COIN etf should become the defacto pricing mechanism and all the exchanges will follow it. Most likely there will be a run up on the exchanges a week or two before the ETF launches, then a nice huge pop, followed by a massive selloff.

Keyara

Activity: 174
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 01:12:54 AM

The current price already price in the expected good news of the etf.
theonewhowaskazu

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 01:14:59 AM

The current price already price in the expected good news of the etf.

Are you kidding? Btc never prices in anything, either to the upside or the downside, because everybody is too busy reinforcing the trend. Why do you think its so volatile?

RyNinDaCleM
Legendary

Legen -wait for it- dary

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 01:20:49 AM

Because it allows people to enter into huge positions the current exchanges are unable to satisfy. In other words, the COIN etf should become the defacto pricing mechanism and all the exchanges will follow it. Most likely there will be a run up on the exchanges a week or two before the ETF launches, then a nice huge pop, followed by a massive selloff.

But will investors be able to take physical (for lack of better terms) delivery of the actual coins? I haven't seen anywhere that this was mentioned before. If not, then they are effectively trading paper that is merely backed by Bitcoin.

houseo

Activity: 180
Merit: 102

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 01:47:16 AM

But will investors be able to take physical (for lack of better terms) delivery of the actual coins? I haven't seen anywhere that this was mentioned before. If not, then they are effectively trading paper that is merely backed by Bitcoin.

isn't that how gold etfs work? and all etfs for that matter.
RyNinDaCleM
Legendary

Legen -wait for it- dary

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 01:59:49 AM

It could be  Huh ETF's are one thing I've never traded. So I don't know. That's why I ask

Dalmar

Activity: 1092
Merit: 500

Life is short, practice empathy in your life

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 02:02:13 AM

It could be  Huh ETF's are one thing I've never traded. So I don't know. That's why I ask

ETFs are basically paper shares, you can't take delivery on the underlying asset. It's not like futures contracts on comex.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄
▄▄██████████████████████▄
 █████████████▀█████████████▄
▄█████████████▀ ▄█▀ ███████████
▄██████████      ▀▀  ████████████
▄█████████████   ▄▄▄   ▀▀██████████
█████████████▀   ████▄   ▀█████████▄
█████████████    ▀▀█▀▀   ▄██████████
████████████▀   ▄▄      ████████████
████████████   ▄████▄    ███████████
█████████      ██████    ██████████
█████████▄▄            ▄██████████
▀██████████  ██  ▄▄▄▄████████████
▀█████████▄▄█▄ ███████████████▀
▀██████████████████████████▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀▀██████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

B i t c o i n t a l k   ▄▄▄▄▄

DONATION CAMPAIGN

▄
                                   ▄██
               ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄           ▄███
             ▄█████████▄        ████
▄▄▄         ▄████████████     ▄████▀
 ▀██▄▄      █████████████   ▄█████▀
  ▀█████▄   █████████████  ▄██████
    ▀█████▄  ███████████▀▄███████
     ▀██████▄▄▀▀██████▀ ████████▀
       ████████▄      ▄████████▀
        █████████▄  ▄██████████
         █████████████████████
          ████████████████████
          ███████████████████
          ███████████████████
          ██████████████▀▀▀
          ███████▀▀▀▀
          ▀▀▀▀

BE A HOPE
FOR A LIVABLE WORLD
▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄
▄▄███████████████████▄▄
▄▄█████████████████████████▄▄
▄███████████████████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▀██████████
███████████▀       ▀█▀       ▀█████████
███████████▀                    █████████
███████████                     █████████
█████████████                   ███████████
██████████████▄               ▄████████████
████████████████▄▄▄         ▄█▀▀   ████████
███████████▀▀     ▀▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄██     ▄████████
██████▀█▄                ▀▀▀█▄ ▄█████████
██████▄ █▄          ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄███████████
██████▄ ▀█                ▄████████████
██████▄  ██████▄▄▄    ▄██████████████
▀██████▄██████████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████████████████▀
▀▀█████████████████████████▀▀
▀▀███████████████████▀▀
▀▀▀█████████▀▀▀

ONE

little

HELP CHANGES
EVERYTHING

..DONATE..
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 02:12:31 AM

It could be  Huh ETF's are one thing I've never traded. So I don't know. That's why I ask

ETFs are basically paper shares, you can't take delivery on the underlying asset. It's not like futures contracts on comex.

YOU can't, but big players can in the form of baskets of many shares (basket size is defined somewhere in the filings, I forgot what it is).
Brewins
Legendary

Activity: 1120

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 03:31:29 AM

For me will be regularization outside the taxes world of bitcoin in Europe or in USA, with the first regulated exchange open in USA or in Euro zone, or acceptance as payment method by big players. Or China starting to love bitcoin and unban it, what is less likely than Thaiti winning the next Word Cup only with clear sheets.

Can't see any others UNIQUE events starting a rally.
piramida
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1010

Borsche

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 07:00:35 AM

There is no "plan" - as soon as they sell enough shares to cover their current assets, they will be obliged to buy more bitcoin. At market price. So even 200mil invested into that ETF would put a huge pressure on the price and send it to 4 digits - there's not that much coin for sale at these low prices,

i am satoshi
mladen00
Legendary

Activity: 2124
Merit: 1013

K-ing®

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 11:32:54 AM

One ''big player'' like google, fb, ebay and BTC will go + 10000$

IOTA
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print