Bitcoin Forum
July 05, 2024, 11:43:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ASIC Block Erupter Cube, not working, hardware problem?  (Read 1959 times)
patriotminer76 (OP)

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 08:51:29 PM

Hi,

I bought a block erupter cube second hand from a guy who said it worked great.  I have a spare 750W power supply but it has only 1 6 pin PCI-e so I bought an adapter to convert one of the sata connections to the PCI-e 6  pin.  Anyway, I plugged it all in, shorted the ps so it stays on full time, and....nothing.  One green light goes on then it looks like the other lights for a second and then the cube powers off, shorting my PS with it.

I can get it to not short the PS by plugging in no more than 3 boards.  Never does the ethernet port ever show a light (with or without a cable) and I honestly don't know enough about these things to figure out what may be wrong.

I was told the board has a lifetime warranty but how do I know if it is my cube or some other problem, perhaps with my power supply?

Tips or help are welcome.

Chris
7queue

Activity: 177
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 11:54:29 PM

You really need a proper power supply with those, once the relay trips there is a huge current demand, this causes an under powered supply to save it self.

8 )

8 )
gpfleging

Activity: 51

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 02:11:09 AM
Last edit: July 11, 2014, 05:13:30 AM by gpfleging

Here is some info on set-up for these cubes.
http://md5live.com/asicminer-block-erupter-cube-setup/
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=352658.0

I agree that you need a PSU with dual 6-pin PCIe connectors that have sufficient 12V+ AMPs.  From experience I think my BE ran fine on the normal speed with dual 20A rails on the PSU.  The bitcointalk page referenced above says 28A/rail and that it jams the PSU to max in rush current when it first starts.

The other things that were must checks when I got mine were to ensure all the boards were seated correctly and that the fan was plugged in and spinning.  The unit will immediately shut off if there is not a proper fan that meets the RPM rating that is expected.  If you need a fan replacement at some point I think there is a MASCOOL 2200rpm fan has a high enough rpm.

Beyond that when I had mine once it was powered correctly with the fan it would allow IP connection to it to set up the mining information.

Good luck..
Glizlack

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 05:04:36 AM

I still have 3 of them going. I would suspect your power supply is issue. Just because they claim 750w doesn't really mean they are. So what brand is it? Does it really only have 1 pcie express connector?

Steve

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
brudog

Activity: 79
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 13, 2014, 02:26:20 AM

I have several cubes but one does just what you say and wont start unless I remove the fuse, turn on the power, then re-install the fuse.
Intrepid One

Activity: 21

View Profile
August 30, 2014, 02:09:36 PM

i found that you need really robust power supplies to run the BE cubes.

I bought a couple of (forget name brand) power supplies (850's) that said that they had 35 amp on the 12V rail and they wouldn't even turn on one then i tried a 750 watt Thermal take power supply same issue wouldn't even power up the unit.

then we tried corsair CX600 and they powered up and ran fine.

These BE cubes will call out power supply manufactures bluffs when it comes to how much power they say they make on the 12V rails and what they actually do
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: