Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 11:43:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [CLOSED] (Unofficial) XMR Community Monero FAQ thread  (Read 6575 times)
smooth (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 10:07:49 AM
Last edit: August 02, 2014, 01:28:02 AM by smooth

Thread is now closed. New replacement thread is here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=721045

This thread is to host a community-built FAQ for Monero [XMR].

Post questions and answers in new replies and I'll edit them into the FAQ.

Controversial changes will be held back in a separate controversial section until there is reasonable consensus.

Have at it.

Monero FAQ (collaborative draft)

Official software, wallets, etc.

Q: Where is the official Monero thread?
A: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=583449.0

Q: What are the minimum requirements for a computer to run the wallet?
A: A 64-bit OS is highly recommended. At the time of writing (July 2014), 4 GB of RAM should be sufficient, and 2 GB of disk space is required to store the block chain (currently growing at about 10 MB per day).

Q: How do I use Monero with 32-bit Windows?
A: The official 32-bit binaries have been reported to work only with PAE enabled. More info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_Address_Extension#Microsoft_Windows

Q: What are the best installation instructions to use, where do I get more information, etc.?
A: Be sure to rely only resources linked from the original post on the official Monero thread. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=583449.0

Q: When trying to send coins I get an error stating that transaction is too large.
A: This is due to many small inputs (dust) to the address such as from mining to it. The solution is to split up the transaction and send smaller amounts. This problem has mainly been mitigated by the pools updating their software to not payout dust amounts.

Q: Why is Monero not user friendly like most other cryptocurrencies? Why is there no official GUI wallet?
A: Monero is not a Bitcoin clone, and so it's code is entirely new (originally derived from Cryptonote). Similarly to the early Bitcoin days, a lot of pieces have just not been built yet - the puzzle is largely incomplete. There's good and bad that comes with this fact, amongst other things: there is certainly some additional risk as the code is a lot more experimental than that of Bitcoin, while on the other hand, there is also a lot of potential, as Monero is just in it's infancy. A GUI Wallet is certainly an important part of this puzzle, and there are unofficial GUI wallets that can be used (recognizing that they are test-quality software) -- see the next question.

Q: Where is the GUI wallet ?
A: The official release does not yet include a GUI wallet. Information about several available GUI wallets can be found on the GUI wallet bounty thread here : Bounty for open source ByteCoin/Monero GUI
The Jojatekok GUI wallet thread is here : [XMR] Monero Client .NET - A GUI wallet made for Windows

Q: Do I have to run a full node to keep a personal/offline wallet?
A: Yes. Note that at the present state of development, running a full node & using the wallet is not a particularly friendly venture, so it is wise to really go through the setup instructions available and see if your computer skills will tolerate the effort. Experienced/Advanced users will have no trouble setting up a node & wallet.

Q: Can I have multiple Monero addresses in my local node?
A: Short version - yes. Long version - Each wallet currently holds a single address. To have multiple addresses, you'll be creating and executing multiple wallets (one per address). Note: Multiple wallets cannot be running concurrently on a given system. Non-experienced users are strongly advised to not attempt running multiple wallets.  

Q: Monero blockchain uses too much RAM, is filling up my hard drive, etc. / What's up with all the bloat?
A: The privacy features in Monero do come at a certain cost of an increased blockchain size. That said, the codebase is very much alpha stage at the moment, and currently, there is absolutely no compression of the blockchain data. This is one of the main priorities for the dev team - to implement a robust & scalable database platform. The team is very active on this, but it is pointless to ask/spam 'are we there yet?' on the forums or IRC, since the task is non-trivial and will take whatever is the necessary amount of time to be done right(tm). When this is complete, bells and whistles will be heard on the Interwebs.  

Q: How do I use the view key?
A: tbd

Q: How do I restore the wallet from the mnemonic seed?
A: Use the --restore-deterministic-wallet flag when running your simplewallet, it will ask you for a NEW wallet name, a NEW wallet password, and then the previous 24 word string that was given to you when the original wallet file was created.

Q: How do I change my wallet password/name?
A: Restore the wallet from the mnemonic seed

Q: How do I generate a new wallet address for a transaction, like in Bitcoin?
A: This is not necessary with Monero, you only ever need one receiving address. A new receiving address is created automatically for every transaction, inside the program.

Q: How long does it take to send a transaction?
A: Block time is one minute. On average it will only take a one minute a transaction to first appear in the block chain; however, exchanges usually will require at least 18 confirmations (blocks) before adding funds to your account, and the standard wallet requires tbd confirmations before considering received coins to be available for use. A time of 10-20 minutes is generally the longest length of time you should consider waiting if your transaction isn't confirmed in a couple of minutes.

Q: What is the net hashrate/difficulty/coins in circulation?
A: Check this site

Q: I can't send XMR because simplewallet or bitmonerod reports something like 'failed to send ...." How do I solve this?
A: Delete poolstate.bin, your compiled version is probably from the one before tx expiry was added. So also recompile with the latest commits (or download the latest official binaries).

Q: I've heard that mixins can be unmasked if outputs are spent with mixin=0. Is this true?
A: (From tacotime) It refers to a well known privacy issue on CN coins. We've had a fix for this in the development for weeks now after corresponding with a Bitcoin core devs that should be more effective than the solution for Boolberry, we're just waiting until the core of the software is more mature before we roll it out.

Development team

Q: Who are the official development team members:
A: (in no particular order) - tacotime, eizh, smooth, fluffypony, othe, davidlatapie, NoodleDoodle

Q: Monero dev team seems to be too sluggish, does not?
A: (From fluffypony) We are far from sluggish. All 7 of the core team members have to earn a living. Each of us can spend 14 hours a day on Monero, but then we need to draw an hourly payment to cover our time. Thus far we have received well under 1 BTC in donations, a trivial amount. That means that all of our time and energy and effort is completely self-funded.  We are not sitting on mountains of XMR, this is a cryptocurrency that had an absolutely 100% fair launch. Given the current size of the cryptocurrency market I would argue that it had an even fairer launch than Bitcoin, because tons of people jumped on and mined it from day one. We had no opportunity to amass any sizeable amount of XMR. Thus, our entire effort is a labour of love and completely because we want to see XMR become useful. If we get no donations, we are unable to spend large amounts of time on it, and we will have to peck away at it in our spare time. If you want to see less "sluggishness" (i.e. more time allocated), then donate. If you haven't donated you have absolutely no room to manoeuvre in this discussion.

Exchanges

Q: What on earth are these 'PaymentIDs' I keep hearing about?
A: The way that Monero works today, causes the exchanges to have a single address to where all customer Moneros get deposited. Given the intrinsic privacy features built into Monero, the exchange is unable to verify the source of any incoming transaction. Enter 'PaymentIDs'. Each exchange user get's a unique PaymentID assigned, so that by tracking PaymentIDs on incoming transactions, the exchanges can identify the user account that is to be credited.

Q: I have send to an exchange without using the payment id? What do I do now?
A: Contact support. You have to be the first to claim that specific amount with a rough timeframe and normally they will credit it to your account

Price speculation

Q: Why is the price going down?
A: Because more people are selling more XMR than there are people buying XMR.

Q: Why is the price going up?
A: Because more people are buying more XMR than there are people selling XMR.

Q: Will the price go back up?
A: No one can predict future prices with certainty however it is likely that prices will fluctuate both up and down.

Mining/Pools

Q: Can I mine directly to my exchange address, or do I need to setup a local wallet?
A: Mining to exchange addresses is not possible at this time, as the pool will not attribute a PaymentID to your mining proceeds, resulting in the exchange not being able to find out who said proceeds belong to. Mining to an exchange address will almost certainly cause your funds to be lost. Note: There is one exception, as one pool (MinerGate) has advertised that they have implemented PaymentIDs in mining withdrawals. This has not been independently verified yet (to the best of my knowledge), and the pool in question is 'closed source', thus generally not recommended.

Q:Anything to do with pools ; Connectivity, payouts etc.
A:Contact the pool dev via their support methods (the Monero core team has nothing to do with operating the pools and won't be able to help). Many pool operators can be found on the IRC channels if immediate help is required.

Q: I'm mining with 'x' hashes/second. How much can I mine per day?
A: Use this formula, which will give you how much of a block you can mine in 24 hours: (x)/(net hashrate) * 60 * 24

Terms/Vocabulary

Key image - encoded version of a private key that does not reveal the private key, but reveals if the private key is used to attempt double spending

One time key (address?) - Monero public addresses are not the addresses to which coins are actually sent, instead they are used to create a unique address for each transaction.

Cryptonote - The protocol which Monero is built on.

Cryptonight - The mining algorithm which Monero uses. CPU/GPU friendly algorithm.

Mix in count - Number of outputs you would like to mix your transaction with

Payment ID - Code which distinguishes your payment for people who use single addresses (usually exchanges)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Quanttek

Activity: 93
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 10:16:19 AM

Q: I have send to an exchange without using the payment id? What do I do now?
A: Contact the support. You have to be the first to claim that specific amount with a rough timeframe and normally they will credit it to your account

Enthusiast. Neither trader, nor miner and also no big investor.
Community Manager for Monero
PM if you need mine to exchange or anti-cheat algorithm for node-cryptonote-pool
Finger

Activity: 259
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 10:20:02 AM

I have Windows 32-bits binaries & this system Smiley What do You recommend to do? Grin
myagui
Legendary

Activity: 1154
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 10:26:24 AM
Last edit: July 15, 2014, 04:05:39 AM by myagui

[1] featured in the op
Q: Can I mine directly to my exchange address, or do I need to setup a local wallet?
A: Mining to exchange addresses is not possible at this time, as the pool will not attribute a PaymentID to your mining proceeds, resulting in the exchange not being able to find out who said proceeds belong to. Mining to an exchange address will almost certainly cause your funds to be lost.

Note: There is one exception, as one pool (MinerGate) has advertised that they have implemented PaymentIDs in mining withdrawals. This has not been independently verified yet (to the best of my knowledge), and the pool in question is 'closed source', thus generally not recommended.

[2] featured in the op
Q: What on earth are these 'PaymentIDs' I keep hearing about?
A: The way that Monero works today, causes the exchanges to have a single address to where all customer Moneros get deposited. Given the intrinsic privacy features built into Monero, the exchange is unable to verify the source of any incoming transaction. Enter 'PaymentIDs'. Each exchange user get's a unique PaymentID assigned, so that by tracking PaymentIDs on incoming transactions, the exchanges can identify the user account that is to be credited.

[3] deemed unworthy of the op  Grin featured in the op
A: Yes. Note that at the present state of development, running a full node & using the wallet is not a particularly friendly venture, so it is wise to really go through the setup instructions available and seek help if feeling overwhelmed by the process. Experienced/Advanced users will have no trouble setting up a node & wallet in a few minutes (+ the download time for a recent blockchain).

[4] featured in the op
Q: Can I have multiple Monero addresses in my local node?
A: Short version - yes. Long version - Each wallet currently holds a single address. To have multiple addresses, you'll be creating and executing multiple wallets (one per address). Note: Multiple wallets cannot be running concurrently on a given system. Non-experienced users are strongly advised to not attempt running multiple wallets.  

[5] featured in the op
Q: Monero blockchain is filling up my hard drive / What's up with all the bloat?
A: The privacy features in Monero do come at a certain cost of an increased blockchain size. That said, the codebase is very much alpha stage at the moment, and currently, there is absolutely no compression of the blockchain data. This is one of the main priorities for the dev team - to implement a robust & scalable database platform. The team is very active on this, but it is pointless to ask/spam 'are we there yet?' on the forums or IRC, since the task is massive and will take whatever is the necessary amount of time to be done right(tm). When this is complete, bells and whistles will be heard on the Interwebs.  

[6] featured in the op
Q: Why is Monero not user friendly like most other cryptocurrencies? Why is there no official GUI wallet?
A: Monero is not a Bitcoin clone, and so it's code is entirely new (originally derived from Cryptonote). Similarly to the early Bitcoin days, a lot of pieces have just not been built yet - the puzzle is largely incomplete. There's good and bad that comes with this fact, amongst other things: there is certainly some additional risk as the code is a lot more experimental than that of Bitcoin, while on the other hand, there is also a lot of potential, as Monero is just in it's infancy. A GUI Wallet is certainly an important part of this puzzle, and a bounty is in progress for someone to build one to be adopted soon (possibly more than one).
The GUI bounty thread is here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=589561.0

(I'll keep editing this post as I gather more stuff, and will be cleaning up if the OP consolidates any information I've posted)
I'm on a work trip and will have little availability over the next couple of weeks, so it might be a while before I can add further contributions.
~ Myagui

dreamspark

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 10:30:39 AM

Q: When trying to send coins I get an error stating that transaction is too large.

A: This is due to many small inputs (dust) to the address such as from mining to it. The solution is to split up the transaction and send smaller amounts. This problem has mainly been mitigated by the pools updating their software to not payout dust amounts.

Q:Anything to do with pools ; Connectivity, payouts etc.

A:Contact the pool dev via their support methods, the Monero team have nothing to do with the operation of pools so any questions about pools are a waste of time directing at them. Many pool operators can be found on the IRC channels if immediate help is required.
Finger

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 10:53:01 AM

Ok. Looks like only 4GB RAM will solve my little problem, but i have no money now to improve system. My few notes will be lost? Is there a plan to launch online wallet like Bitcoin has blockchain.info where i can import my 32-bit wallet.bin?
smooth (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 10:54:56 AM

Ok. Looks like only 4GB RAM will solve my little problem, but i have no money now to improve system. My few notes will be lost? Is there a plan to launch online wallet like Bitcoin has blockchain.info where i can import my 32-bit wallet.bin?

The file you want to keep is your wallet.keys (or wallet.bin.keys, I don't remember exactly). That will allow you to recover your coins eventually.  Wallet.bin is just cached data from the blockchain so the wallet doesn't have to scan it again every time.

florida.haunted

Activity: 241
Merit: 125

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 10:59:51 AM

Q:
I have Windows 32-bits binaries & this system Smiley What do You recommend to do? Grin

A: If you do know that is PAE, I quote fluffypony's authentic answer:
"The 32-bit binaries are NOT obsolete - they work perfectly fine if PAE is enabled, and once we have the embedded database stuff working the 32-bit binaries won't even need PAE."

Speaking strictly, fluffypony is 100% right. Nevertheless, I suppose you do not know what is PAE. If so, but you are exciting what is it, having enough time to spend, read:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa366796%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

If you are lazy, you should first migrate to 64-bit Windows to forget MANY problems associated with 32-bit computing at all. Then, do the following:

*WINDOWS USERS* (I think Linux users may do very very the same)

In case of any technical problem you have encountered with Monero:

0. Assume your 32-bit wallet file name is "wallet.bin" (adjust this instruction for other name accordingly)
1. Backup your wallet.bin.* files.
2. Delete ALL Monero files from your computer.
3. Download 64-bit Monero zip & blockchain.bin from 1st sticky page of this thread.
4. Unzip & place all the files downloaded above to the directory: "C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Roaming\bitmonero\".
5. From the backup made at step 1, place wallet.bin.* files !!! EXCEPT wallet.bin itself !!! into directory at step 4.
6. Start bitmonerod.exe and wait for it to sync with the net.
7. Start simplewallet by the commad prompt: "simplewallet --wallet-file wallet.bin" (!!! name of the file that must NOT exist in directory at step 4 !!!).
8. When you want to stop any monero executables - ALWAYS type "exit" & be patient.

simplewallet re-creates correct version of wallet.bin for you.

Since you migrate to 64-bit Monero by CORRECT WAY mentioned above - you will never have any problem except being patient due to Monero is currently somewhat slow.

Finger

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 11:02:12 AM

The file you want to keep is your wallet.keys (or wallet.bin.keys, I don't remember exactly). That will allow you to recover your coins eventually.  Wallet.bin is just cached data from the blockchain so the wallet doesn't have to scan it again every time.

I don't remember too so i keep them all safe lulz

florida.haunted

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 11:17:18 AM

Q: Monero dev team seems to be too sluggish, does not?

A: Completely wrong, here I quoted authentic answer of Monero dev team leader, fluffypony:

- We are far from sluggish. All 7 of the core team members have to earn a living. Each of us can spend 14 hours a day on Monero, but then we need to draw an hourly payment to cover our time. Thus far we have received well under 1 BTC in donations, a trivial amount. That means that all of our time and energy and effort is completely self-funded.

- We are not sitting on mountains of XMR, this is a cryptocurrency that had an absolutely 100% fair launch. Given the current size of the cryptocurrency market I would argue that it had an even fairer launch than Bitcoin, because tons of people jumped on and mined it from day 1. We had no opportunity to amass any sizeable amount of XMR. Thus, our entire effort is a labour of love and completely because we want to see XMR become useful. If we get no donations, we are unable to spend large amounts of time on it, and we will have to peck away at it in our spare time. If you want to see less "sluggishness" (i.e. more time allocated), then donate. If you haven't donated you have absolutely no room to manoeuvre in this discussion.
superresistant
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1120

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 11:22:48 AM

Thanks, that'll save us a lot of time.

Finger

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 11:23:26 AM

All 7 of the core team members have to earn a living.

We all must earn for a living & we do in life what we love & can do best. Keep working on this beautiful crypto. I am now looking where to steal win64, hope i will not fuck up my PC for Monero.
florida.haunted

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 11:29:41 AM

Q: Can you explain what is viewkey in XMR donation address?

XMR:
46BeWrHpwXmHDpDEUmZBWZfoQpdc6HaERCNmx1pEYL2rAcuwufPN9rXHHtyUA4QVy66qeFQkn6sfK8a HYjA3jk3o1Bv16em

viewkey: e422831985c9205238ef84daf6805526c14d96fd7b059fe68c7ab98e495e5703

May we know publically, what money are donated via XMR, as we can track balance and/or income via BTC blockchain?
griffinriz

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 12:32:40 PM

Thanks a lot, its very important for newbies to know all this information.
superresistant
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1120

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 12:38:14 PM

Q: Where is the GUI wallet ?
A: The bounty thread is here : Bounty for open source ByteCoin/Monero GUI
The Jojatekok GUI wallet thread is here : [XMR] Monero Client .NET - A GUI wallet made for Windows

YesBoss69

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 01:06:05 PM

Thanks a lot, its very important for newbies to know all this information.

As a newbie, I concur!
I think more up-front faq info for cryptonote coins in general would be very beneficial, keep up the good work.
kbm

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 06:37:56 PM
Last edit: July 18, 2014, 05:29:19 AM by kbm

Q: How do I use the view key?
A: ?

Q: How do I restore the wallet from the mnemonic seed?
A: Use the --restore-deterministic-wallet flag when running your simplewallet, it will ask you for a NEW wallet name, a NEW wallet password, and then the previous 24 word string that was given to you when the original wallet file was created.

Q: How do I change my wallet password/name?
A: Restore the wallet from the mnemonic seed.

Q: How do I generate a new wallet address for a transaction, like in Bitcoin?
A: This is not necessary with Monero, you only ever need one receiving address. A new receiving address is created automatically for every transaction, inside the program.

Q: How long does it take to send a transaction?
A: Block time is one minute. On average it will only take a couple of minutes to send funds to someone; however, exchanges usually will require at least 18 confirmations (blocks) before adding funds to your account. A time of 10-20 minutes is generally the longest length of time you should consider waiting if your transaction isn't confirmed in a couple of minutes.

Q: Why is the price going down?
A: Because more people are selling more XMR than there are people buying XMR.

Q: Why is the price going up?
A: Because more people are buying more XMR than there are people selling XMR.

Q: Will the price go back up?
A: Yes.

Q: I'm mining with 'x' hashes/second. How much can I mine per day?
A: Use this formula, which will give you how much of a block you can mine in 24 hours: (x)/(net hashrate) * 60 * 24.

Q: What is the net hashrate/difficulty/coins in circulation?
A: Check this site.

Q: Can the cryptography behind Monero be broken?
A: Just like in Bitcoin, the sound cryptography has been shown to be broken with quantum computing. If such an event were to occur, all present cryptocurrencies would become immediately obsolete.

Q: Why is the blockchain file so big?
A: Most games are, in fact, much larger than the blockchain file. It will grow linearly at a size of 2-5 times bitcoin's blockchain size for any given amount of time, depending on the block size.

Q: Do I need to worry about my transaction not going through because the block size is too small?
A: No, Monero's block size is adaptive and has provably expanded in size to accommodate an increased demand for transactions. It shrinks after the transactions have subsided.

Q: What does XMR dev team do actually?
A: They develop new aspects to the software, compile binaries, fix bugs, drive Monero in the right direction, advertise, provide help and participate in constant open discussion about Monero.

Q: Do I need to understand programming to understand what projects the developers are working on?
A: No! All work is summarized in plain English on github when there is a commit.

Q: Was Monero pre-mined?
A: There is no pre-mine in Monero, and everyone that hasn't mined after the genesis block has paid the market price to get some!

Q: How can I get market and other Monero information on my phone?
A: Greekbitcoin has been working with a friend to provide an Android widget. Just search the app store for Monero! You can also sign up to github to receive email notifications of developers actions directly to your phone!

Q: Is Monero illegal?
A: The same laws that apply to Bitcoin also apply to Monero. Please read up on the laws of your country to see how they concern you.

Q: Does mixin count 1 mean that there is one other participant in your ring signature?
A: Mixin count 1 means ring signature with 2 people and mixin count 2 means ring signature with 3 people ect...

Q: Why Monero matters?
A: List of plusses

Q: What does Monero's emission curve look like?
A: Tacotime, a Monero core developer, has put together a very nice graph here. It can also be viewed here.

Q: Why the developers made integration with i2p?
A: It's the last little bit where you want to mask your traffic to the point where an attacker with access to your router can't even determine that you're using Monero. The CryptoNote protocol is VERY easy to detect in its current form.

Q: Isn't i2p damn slow?
A: No, relaying transactions through i2p is not too damn slow, absolutely not - and using i2p strengthens bot networks. I2p is a great project so we really enjoy working together with them.

Q: Can somebody tell me the main competitive advantages of XMR?
A: There are now over 10000 posts in this thread on bitcointalk that can give you the most full answer to this question, provided you start at the beginning and read everything up to date.

Q: I don't understand the RPC API, where can I get more information about it?
A: Yes, there is work being done on detailing the RPC API on Wikia, and if more information is required ask your questions in IRC on #monero-dev.

Q: What are those six characters when I open my wallet?
A: The first six letters of your address, useful if you're using multiple wallets or don't want to scroll up to see your full address.

Thanks Smiley
xulescu

Activity: 263
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 10:20:17 PM

Q: Can you explain what is viewkey in XMR donation address?

XMR:
46BeWrHpwXmHDpDEUmZBWZfoQpdc6HaERCNmx1pEYL2rAcuwufPN9rXHHtyUA4QVy66qeFQkn6sfK8a HYjA3jk3o1Bv16em

viewkey: e422831985c9205238ef84daf6805526c14d96fd7b059fe68c7ab98e495e5703

May we know publically, what money are donated via XMR, as we can track balance and/or income via BTC blockchain?

Unlike Bitcoin-based cryptos, Monero doesn't have two keys per address (public, private) but instead it uses three (public, view, spend). The view key allows one to view a wallet's activity (just like blockchain.info does in Bitcoin) but not spend funds - it is like a read-only key for an address. The spend key is like the private key in Bitcoin.
smooth (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 11:09:16 PM

[3] deemed unworthy of the op  Grin

It is in there.
myagui
Legendary

Activity: 1154
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 05:07:39 AM

^ Fixed!
~ Myagui

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: