Bitcoin Forum
June 18, 2024, 12:07:12 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [CLOSED] (Unofficial) XMR Community Monero FAQ thread  (Read 6577 times)
kd5zgl

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 11:24:19 AM

Is there a pie chart or some such showing the current distribution of network hashing power?
dreamspark

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 11:35:21 AM

Is there a pie chart or some such showing the current distribution of network hashing power?

No pie chart, all available charts are currently on   http://monerochain.info/charts
GreekBitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001

getmonero.org

View Profile WWW
July 15, 2014, 06:34:59 PM

There is a problem i have seen a few times from users reporting where they cant send XMR out of their wallets. simplewallet or bitmonerod reports something like 'failed to send ... " I dont have the exact problem report because apparently a user that had the problem today deleted his post after a fix recomendation... Huh

Anyway the fix should be this:

delete poolstate.bin, your compiled version is probably from the one before tx expiry was added. So also recompile with the latest commits.
Patel
Legendary

Activity: 1321
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2014, 04:46:14 AM

Terms/Vocabulary:

Key image -

One time key (address?) -

Cryptonote - The protocol which Monero is built on.

Cryptonight - The mining algorithm which Monero uses. CPU/GPU friendly algorithm.

Mix in count - Number of outputs you would like to mix your transaction with

Payment ID - Code which distinguishes senders payment, for receivers who use a single address for multiple transactions.

bangersdad

Activity: 227
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 06:03:15 PM

Hi there, im just picking up a 2nd hand laptop which i intend to install the XMR cli wallet. Apart from making sure the OS is 64bit are there any other specs that i will need. For instance will 4gb ram be sufficient? does it need a fast processor, how much hard disk space will i need to download the blockchain,  as i was hoping to get a cheap one off ebay.

Also are the instructions on monerotalk.org the best ones to follow regarding installing the cli?

Thanks for any help given.
smooth (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 09:10:50 PM

Hi there, im just picking up a 2nd hand laptop which i intend to install the XMR cli wallet. Apart from making sure the OS is 64bit are there any other specs that i will need. For instance will 4gb ram be sufficient? does it need a fast processor, how much hard disk space will i need to download the blockchain,  as i was hoping to get a cheap one off ebay.

Also are the instructions on monerotalk.org the best ones to follow regarding installing the cli?

Thanks for any help given.

64 bit OS with 4 GB should be sufficient. The block chain is currently about 1.8 GB on disk and is growing at about 10 MB per day.

Obviously a faster CPU will allow you to sync up faster, load the wallet faster, etc. But anything with a 64 bit OS should work.

As for download, installation instructions, etc., be sure to use only resources linked from the original post on the official Monero thread. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=583449.0

If you are buying a second hand laptop, make sure it is completely wiped, has a clean install, and is well maintained with security patches, AV, firewall, etc. Malware is always a risk with wallets.

EDIT: added to OP
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: