Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 02:11:34 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New user  (Read 1605 times)
naelh8 (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 30, 2011, 02:55:09 PM

Hi, I think I'm boing to buy some bitcoins, but I would like to have some more information:
1) I have installed the client, it correctly say I have 0 bitcoins and no operation.
How can I be sure everything is working correctly?
Where the "ubercripted" file with bitcoins is saved? can I preserverve it using online services like Dropbox?

2) how to buy a little amount of bitcoins? something like 10, you know, just for starting.

Thanks, bye!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kokjo
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

You are WRONG!

View Profile
April 30, 2011, 02:59:38 PM

Hi, I think I'm boing to buy some bitcoins, but I would like to have some more information:
1) I have installed the client, it correctly say I have 0 bitcoins and no operation.
Where the "ubercripted" file with bitcoins is saved? can I preserverve it using online services like Dropbox?

2) how to buy a little amount of bitcoins? something like 10, you know, just for starting.

Thanks, bye!
1) in ~/.bitcoin/wallet.dat but i would not use dropbox un encrypted, just to easy to steal your money. Smiley

2)http://coinpal.ndrix.com/ or i can give you 0.05btc, just need an address Cheesy

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell
Alex Beckenham

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 30, 2011, 03:01:38 PM

Thanks, bye!

Just for starting, I'll give you 0.05 bitcoins if you paste me your bitcoin address from the client.

The ubercrypted file (wallet.dat) is not encrypted at all, so don't upload it to Dropbox unless you have manually encrypted it yourself using something like Truecrypt.

Alex Beckenham

View Profile
April 30, 2011, 03:03:33 PM

2)http://coinpal.ndrix.com/ or i can give you 0.05btc, just need an address Cheesy

Funny coincidence, but a good lesson naelh8... you should give kokjo and I each different addresses.

Then you know where each incoming payment is coming from.

kokjo
Legendary

You are WRONG!

View Profile
April 30, 2011, 03:17:36 PM

Funny coincidence, but a good lesson naelh8... you should give kokjo and I each different addresses.

only if he is giving us them in 'privacy', else i could still pay to your address, and you to mine

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell
Alex Beckenham

View Profile
April 30, 2011, 03:21:38 PM

only if he is giving us them in 'privacy', else i could still pay to your address, and you to mine

Yep, maybe just label one address as "Donations from forum", paste the address here, and then not use it for anything else.

naelh8 (OP)

View Profile
April 30, 2011, 05:30:07 PM

Yep, maybe just label one address as "Donations from forum", paste the address here, and then not use it for anything else.

Wait.. that means that I can "have" more than one address at time
that the files does not connect my money to any type of "account" and that it is possible to give as fiew as o.o5.
so next question is what is the mininum coin fracion?
kokjo
Legendary

You are WRONG!

View Profile
April 30, 2011, 05:33:15 PM

Wait.. that means that I can "have" more than one address at time
that the files does not connect my money to any type of "account" and that it is possible to give as fiew as o.o5.
so next question is what is the mininum coin fracion?
techinaly: 0.00000001btc. practialy:0.01btc. and yes you can have as many as you like. your address is the hash of a public key, of which you have the private part. just like gpg/pgp: you can have as many as you like Cheesy

naelh8 (OP)

View Profile
May 01, 2011, 11:26:30 AM

you say that someone seeng my moneyfile can stole my coins, so, my "moneyfile" can be used as direct payment using an usb stick?

what if i want to separe my coins into two files/ want to merge the money of two?
2_Thumbs_Up

Activity: 323
Merit: 251

View Profile
May 01, 2011, 12:00:06 PM

you say that someone seeng my moneyfile can stole my coins, so, my "moneyfile" can be used as direct payment using an usb stick?

what if i want to separe my coins into two files/ want to merge the money of two?

I don't think there are any good tools for this right now, but it should be possible to implement if somebody would want to. However, for now, you could simply move your wallet.dat (your money file) from the bitcoin folder to somewhere else. Then, when you restart the client it will recreate a new wallet.dat for you. You would then have two different wallets and you could send money between them. You would have to be very careful not to overwrite any of the files while moving them around though.

Now that think of it, it would be very neat if the official client could handle multiple wallets at once, say you have a folder simply called wallet and you could have any number of *.dat files in it. That way it would be very easy to have multiple "accounts", like one savings account and one day-to-day account which you also use on your cell phone. I for one would really like this functionality.
naelh8 (OP)

View Profile
May 02, 2011, 08:01:07 AM

I don't think there are any good tools for this right now, but it should be possible to implement if somebody would want to. However, for now, you could simply move your wallet.dat (your money file) from the bitcoin folder to somewhere else. Then, when you restart the client it will recreate a new wallet.dat for you. You would then have two different wallets and you could send money between them. You would have to be very careful not to overwrite any of the files while moving them around though.

Now that think of it, it would be very neat if the official client could handle multiple wallets at once, say you have a folder simply called wallet and you could have any number of *.dat files in it. That way it would be very easy to have multiple "accounts", like one savings account and one day-to-day account which you also use on your cell phone. I for one would really like this functionality.

Moreover, this would allow a new form of  "real life usage" in the sense that an economical chip without access to the network (that consumes lots of energy and and space)
can be integrated into cards of the shape of credit cards that can be used to pay at supermarket with a card reader/writer.
The reader/writer can be produced for less then 30 euros (with naive production mechanism) and the cards with much less.
(It is kind of weird to spoke about euro prices in this forum)

Everyone can have his account on the pc, and use a reader/writer to recharge the card.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: