Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 11:44:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Boaters, shout out!  (Read 868 times)
tonto (OP)

Activity: 609
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 13, 2012, 07:29:22 PM
Last edit: March 13, 2012, 08:00:45 PM by tonto

Anyone else in here love boating?  If so, what do you have, and what's your favorite water activity?  If you love boating but don't yet own one, what would you like to get (besides a yacht, of course).

1990 VIP Victory open-bow.  20 ft.  5.0 Ford motor w/OMC outdrive

I love cruising around with my wife and kids, and then stopping somewhere to jump out and swim around drinking some cold ones. Smiley

I'm trying to talk her into a 25 or 30 foot sailboat, but she likes to go fast I guess, 'cause she keeps saying "no" Smiley

[edit, fixed a typo which I discovered after reading the comment below]
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
March 13, 2012, 07:32:41 PM

(because a yacht, of course).
But but but.... what if I already have one?  Undecided

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
RandyFolds

View Profile
March 13, 2012, 08:25:54 PM

I crewed a 47' catamaran prototype diesel/electric hybrid from Panama to North Carolina. It was the swankiest boat I have ever worked on, but I don't recommend guinea pigging prototypes. Typical example: our fuel filters were plumbed after the fuel pumps and some filthy Colombian diesel had us up on a sand bar about a mile off of Cuba after blowing half a dozen filter seals. You ever been in an engine compartment with six inches of diesel on the floor? Terrifying...

I just found this online: "a Crowther design, #95 – MKII, 47 ft. in length, built by Alwoplast in Valdivia, Chile.  In fact, the boat just came up from Chile under its own power so there will be experienced crew there to talk about the trip and how all the systems performed."

Experienced crew, under it's own power, my ass. I had never set foot on a sail vessel before this one, and we had to be towed into Key West because we were losing diesel like a sieve while we ran.

All bitching aside, two larger-than-California King beds, a decent galley, nice big shower and shitter, plenty of deckspace and a big ole' lounge...I wouldn't mind having one of my own...
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12972

View Profile
March 13, 2012, 09:40:08 PM

My dad bought a C&C 27' Mk3 sailboat last year. We haven't been on any long excursions yet, though it's been nice to just sail around.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
RandyFolds

View Profile
March 13, 2012, 10:22:10 PM

My dad bought a C&C 27' Mk3 sailboat last year. We haven't been on any long excursions yet, though it's been nice to just sail around.

If you guys are comfortable enough sailing, you should totally do some sort of trip. I don't know where you are, but I bet there are some channel islands or barrier islands to head out to. Get a friend to join you and you guys could sail nonstop. If not, you can just drift while you sleep. I have worked on boats my whole life, but I had never been out far enough to just cut the engines, turn on the proximity alarms, and pass out for the night. It's pretty soothing.

After getting my sailing experience in on someone elses boat and dime, I dream about getting a ~35ft mono-hull and cruising around the Caribbean, if not pulling a transatlantic crossing. There is such a cool culture around it. I met so many sail-bums who just crewed boats aimlessly, and met a few more respectable fellows that captained boats to destinations as a job.

Obviously, I would go bigger and swankier for my dream craft, but I can see kicking down $10k in the next few years for a boat in decent shape. How else will I ride out the initial wave of zombie apocalypse.

I ended up meeting the guy I sailed with in a harbor bar while I was bumming around latin america. I had nowhere to be, so a couple beers later, I was on the docket as a crew member. I'm glad he wasn't smuggling coke, or rather, I am blissfully unaware of it if he did. I have never been through such customs bullshit as floating into Key West. They separated us and put us in interrogation rooms and left us sitting for a good two hours. I answered everything with a smile despite being treated like shit, and I suppose it's their job more or less, but goddamn. US Customs can suck it.
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12972

View Profile
March 13, 2012, 11:28:05 PM

The boat's harbored on Lake Winnebago in Wisconsin, so it won't ever see the ocean unless we want to go on a really long sailing trip. (Though two of my uncles sailed from Wisconsin to Florida when they were young, so it's definitely possible.) This year we'll probably try taking it to Lake Michigan, though this alone will take a long time.

Quote from: RandyFolds
I have worked on boats my whole life

What do you do?

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: