Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 09:11:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Need S2 IO Board - Help  (Read 1914 times)
Grayson5 (OP)

Activity: 60
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 07:41:15 PM

Hi,

I've been having problems with all 3 of my S2's - they boot up but won't connect to the network.  I think it may be the IO board (specifically the ethernet port on them) and am looking to see if anyone has one (or 3) they are will to part with. 

OR - if you live in the Charlotte, NC area and are willing to bring your S2 IO board by to verify this is the problem (will pay for gas  Grin) - please let me know.

It is killing me that I have 3 S2's just sitting idol here......

BTW - I've contacted Bitmain but they have not been very helpful.....

Thanks.
CryptoCrane

Activity: 384
Merit: 256

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2014, 04:00:39 AM

Can you describe what you mean when you say that they won't connect to the network? Also, from a computer running on the same network, please open a command prompt and run "ipconfig /all" and post the results here. All Bitmain hardware comes with preset network settings that won't work if your router's IP address isn't 192.168.1.1. Many routers use 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.254, which could cause the problem you're describing. Additionally, please confirm that you don't already have a device running with the same IP address of 192.168.1.99.

I have a strong feeling that your problem is not with the hardware ;-)

theerachate

Activity: 79
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 12, 2014, 04:29:38 AM

Maybe, it's not the IO board's problem. Things you could try is flash the sd card, or check your router. mine was once failed to connect to the internet too. and I did reset the router and flash the sd card and now it works perfectly fine.
CryptoCrane

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2014, 04:37:57 AM

I wouldn't flash the SD card just yet, it's highly improbable that 3 of them were all bad. I've dealt with dozens of S2s without ever needing to flash the SD card.

theerachate

View Profile
July 12, 2014, 04:48:34 AM

I wouldn't flash the SD card just yet, it's highly improbable that 3 of them were all bad. I've dealt with dozens of S2s without ever needing to flash the SD card.

If 3 of them didn't work right at the first when he got them, then that could possibly be some physical problems.
CryptoCrane

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2014, 05:06:28 AM

If 3 of them didn't work right at the first when he got them, then that could possibly be some physical problems.

I think networking configuration is about 1000x more likely. I sell many of these on Amazon and offer support too. Every problem I've dealt with has been network configuration based. Hopefully OP responds and we get to the bottom of this for him.

dropt
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 12, 2014, 06:16:48 AM

PEBKAC is my guess.
Grayson5 (OP)

View Profile
July 12, 2014, 01:17:38 PM
Last edit: July 12, 2014, 01:52:47 PM by Grayson5

Below is the screen shot from ipconfig /all

I have 5 s1's that are working correctly on this network.  I think the problem resulted from a lightning strike I had this week.  It killed my cable modem and router - both had to be replaced.  Although 5 of my S1's work, all three of my S2's won't connect, along with my Terraminer, and another S1.

On the S2's the lights on the ethernet port never come on on either the S2 or at the router.  I would think that if there was some data traveling along the line lights at one end or the other would blink.

I have replaced the ethernet cable and verified that the router port works.

EDIT:  I have also reflashed the SD card and that didn't work. 

Any suggestions or help would be great.

http://grayson5h.squarespace.com/storage/programfiles/screens1.jpg
theerachate

View Profile
July 12, 2014, 03:57:38 PM

Below is the screen shot from ipconfig /all

I have 5 s1's that are working correctly on this network.  I think the problem resulted from a lightning strike I had this week.  It killed my cable modem and router - both had to be replaced.  Although 5 of my S1's work, all three of my S2's won't connect, along with my Terraminer, and another S1.

On the S2's the lights on the ethernet port never come on on either the S2 or at the router.  I would think that if there was some data traveling along the line lights at one end or the other would blink.

I have replaced the ethernet cable and verified that the router port works.

EDIT:  I have also reflashed the SD card and that didn't work. 

Any suggestions or help would be great.

If you said that you're already replaced the ethernet cable and checked that the router works just fine. Then yeah, probably the problem is the s2's themselves. Have you tried just only 1 S2 connect to the router? because you said that your Terraminer and ther another s1 doesn't work, so there's still a chance.

Cheers  Smiley
R4v37

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 12, 2014, 10:06:25 PM

ask bitmain guys to send you a new IO boards if its really the real problem here
my S1 cant hashing, and i ask Bitmain to send me a new one Cheesy

CryptoCrane

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2014, 01:59:50 AM

Lightning... That would explain a lot. I assume you've tried bypassing the front panel's Ethernet port and connecting the network cable directly to the Beaglebone. If not, try that.

Here's what I would try next:
Revive a Dead AntMiner S2...

Grayson5 (OP)

View Profile
July 13, 2014, 09:37:21 PM

Yep, tried that.  I think I have exhausted every possibility.  I sent an order to the BitMain guys for new IO boards but haven't gotten a confirmation yet.  Assuming that goes through I hope that will solve the problem.

Removing the Beaglebone and then resoldering it back on seems really tough......

sushi

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

ASIC Myth Buster

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 12:19:01 AM

If the e-mail response was too slow, or the PM response...  You might want to try one of their phone numbers.  +1-844-248-6246 or +44-020-30024099

This number was given out at Bitmain booth during the Bitcoin Conferences for a while.  

I heard the same phone number aired on the radio shows as well

But I don't know if Lighting Strike is covered under their warranty tho...  You might be better off contacting your homeowner or renter's insurance for that damage.

I have a similar issue.  The miner boots up, and the chaser lights on the both boards run - but it never connects to the network.  I think the beaglebone shorted out when I had a lightning strike.

I tried everything and can't get it to work.  It did start running for about 3 hours the other day and then stopped.....very frustrating.  

I am hoping I can purchase a new beaglebone from CoinTerra and install it myself.

Yep, tried that.  I think I have exhausted every possibility.  I sent an order to the BitMain guys for new IO boards but haven't gotten a confirmation yet.  Assuming that goes through I hope that will solve the problem.

Removing the Beaglebone and then resoldering it back on seems really tough......

>>> PM me for New ASIC Miner's Info.  We will go check it out <<<
FEEL GENEROUS TODAY?  ==> 1AHNusc3BQA2QJCokySAQ1Qtymr1ZyAG6P
Zelek Uther

Activity: 700
Merit: 504

Run a Bitcoin node.

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 12:33:22 AM

Yep, tried that.  I think I have exhausted every possibility.  I sent an order to the BitMain guys for new IO boards but haven't gotten a confirmation yet.  Assuming that goes through I hope that will solve the problem.

Bitmain will sell the controller board (complete with Beaglebone Black) separately.  I purchased one from them.

Run a Bitcoin node, support the network.
Grayson5 (OP)

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 12:44:51 AM

Were you having a similar problem with the Ethernet port?

Curious to see if this issue has occurred before......
Grayson5 (OP)

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 12:49:10 AM

Bitmain will sell the controller board (complete with Beaglebone Black) separately.  I purchased one from them.

How long did it take for them to confirm your payment and ship the board(s)?
Zelek Uther

Run a Bitcoin node.

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 05:50:37 AM

Were you having a similar problem with the Ethernet port?

Curious to see if this issue has occurred before......
It wasn't booting up. I think I unintentionally gave it electro-static shock damage when I opened it up after a general power failure (it was the only miner that didn't immediately restart). I found out later that the Enermax PSU has some sort of cool-down period (quite a long one) and maybe if i had just left it alone it would have come right by itself.

Zelek Uther

Run a Bitcoin node.

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 05:52:54 AM

How long did it take for them to confirm your payment and ship the board(s)?
It was pretty quick once i convinced them to stop trying to troubleshoot it and that I was happy to just pay for a new one. I got it within a week.

klondike_bar
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 11:48:10 AM

the BBB board just fits on using its IO pins i think - no soldering at all, just open the case and remove the central board to swap the beaglebone black.

other ideas:
1) try reseating everything. hash boards, control boards, power cabling, and the cables between the exterior ethernet/lcd and the backplane. something loose would cause issues
2) try just 1 at a time, and temporarily turn off everything else. if some other device already claimed the IP (192.168.1.99 or 192.168.1.199, i cant recall) that the S2 would not be able to communicate with the router or your PC.
3) try on another network, just in case of the above issue.
4) plug one in, then reboot your router. it may recognise and connect the device this way
5) check that there is an SD card on the BBB - in the fluke chance there isnt that would explain the issue

its unlikely 3 systems have the same issue - if you turn them on what happens? do the LEDS blink, does the LCD come on, do the lights on the ethernet port blink or light up with or without a cable inserted? Even without a web connection you should be able to boot up the device and have it display something on the LCD

24" PCI-E cables with 16AWG wires and stripped ends - great for server PSU mods, best prices https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=563461
No longer a wannabe - now an ASIC owner!
Grayson5 (OP)

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 12:52:26 PM

Tried all those and more....even reflashed the SD card.  Since I can't connect to the S2 with any method - and no lights flash on the ethernet port - I am thinking that's the issue.

I did receive confirmation from Bitmain this morning that they received my payment and are shipping the replacement boards.  I should know within a week or so if this was the problem. 

I appreciate all the help and suggestions from the community!

Will report back if this fixed the problem.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: