Bitcoin Forum
July 05, 2024, 10:37:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Impact of extraneous transactions on value of Casascius Coins  (Read 695 times)
the joint (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 11:05:39 PM

Since I'm in the process of trying to liquidate some physical coins, I've been running some first-bits through Casascius's Bitcoin Analyzer and I'm seeing that some coins, including one of my October-minted Series 1 error coins, have received some of those "pinging" type transactions.  In some cases, it's as small as 1 Satoshi while others are as large as 0.001 BTC.

Do you think this has any impact on the collector value of a coin?  If so, in a positive or negative way?  For example, would someone think this decreases the coin's collector value as it may no longer be considered to be in "original" condition or because the balance does not match the denomination?  Or, would someone think it's more valuable simply because the coin's denomination has increased?

My initial impression upon seeing that one of my error coins has received an extraneous transaction was negative -- I was disappointed that the balance no longer matched the denomination.  But, if such extraneous transactions do indeed have a negative impact upon the collectible value of the coin, then it could be worthwhile (and certainly easy) to send small, extraneous transactions (e.g. 1 Satoshi) to all active physical coins.  This would be made possible through Casascius's website as he publicizes all addresses.

Is there a way to create a physical coin with an address that is "locked" for further deposits but whose balance can still be withdrawn?
miffman
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1005

PGP ID: 78B7B84D

View Profile
July 12, 2014, 11:07:39 AM

To be honest, I really don't think it impacts too much on the value. People are not too phased by the balance, as the condition of the coin itself imo

█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
BitBlender 

█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
Pkofet

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 12, 2014, 11:53:29 AM

Is there a way to create a physical coin with an address that is "locked" for further deposits but whose balance can still be withdrawn?

How could you stop the others from sending you bitcoin?  Huh

Ibian
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1278

View Profile
July 12, 2014, 04:11:55 PM

Collectors that think something that is worth more is worth less must have some kind of mental health issue.

Look inside yourself, and you will see that you are the bubble.
the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 12, 2014, 06:05:03 PM

Collectors that think something that is worth more is worth less must have some kind of mental health issue.

How thoughtful.

Same goes for all those Bitcoin idiots that pay more for the all-silver 10 BTC Casascius coin compared to the gold & silver 10 BTC coin, right?   Huh

They're called collectibles for a reason.  There's psychological impact there. 
the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 12, 2014, 06:06:51 PM

How could you stop the others from sending you bitcoin?  Huh

I assumed it was a rather absurd question, but sometimes you never know until you ask.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: