Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 07:04:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Government bankrupting the average citizen?  (Read 2023 times)
Jon (OP)
Donator

Activity: 98
Merit: 12

No Gods; No Masters; Only You

View Profile
March 14, 2012, 05:26:58 AM

The US government is barring oil companies from drilling on so-called "public land" and rather have us depend on foreign countries for our oil supply.

In turn, gas prices go up, the cost of shipping goes up and so does the cost of food and other necessities. Before we know it a 50% increase in the cost of gas will be a nearly identical increase in the cost of bread.

The statists proclaim that it should be the individuals duty to go to alternative sources of fuel; otherwise, the hungry man can suffer and the working man can lose his job, because he can't afford the commute.

Is anyone so wise and so virtuous to dictate how we should travel and how we should sell and ship our food in the name of cleaner air? That is the question.

The fact is when the individual truly wants an electric vehicle, she will have it and no sooner. To force her into starvation and poverty to reach the end of cleaner energy -- is that truly preferable?

It won't only be the business owner bearing the cost of this governmental experiment; it will be the average individual as well.

The Communists say, equal labour entitles man to equal enjoyment. No, equal labour does not entitle you to it, but equal enjoyment alone entitles you to equal enjoyment. Enjoy, then you are entitled to enjoyment. But, if you have laboured and let the enjoyment be taken from you, then – ‘it serves you right.’ If you take the enjoyment, it is your right.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bb113

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 14, 2012, 05:33:57 AM

Well, get rid of subsidies and tariffs as well. Also fix the legal system so that individual's find it easier to get compensated fairly for whatever they may lose due to the excavations.

Since all of this will not happen at once the point is somewhat moot.
Jon (OP)
Donator

View Profile
March 14, 2012, 05:39:30 AM

Well, get rid of subsidies and tariffs as well. Also fix the legal system so that individual's find it easier to get compensated fairly for whatever they may lose due to the excavations.

Do you believe that all residential living will be ruined because of oil excavation?

The Communists say, equal labour entitles man to equal enjoyment. No, equal labour does not entitle you to it, but equal enjoyment alone entitles you to equal enjoyment. Enjoy, then you are entitled to enjoyment. But, if you have laboured and let the enjoyment be taken from you, then – ‘it serves you right.’ If you take the enjoyment, it is your right.
bb113

Activity: 728

View Profile
March 14, 2012, 05:42:15 AM

Do you believe that all residential living will be ruined because of oil excavation?

No. I'm just pointing out the preexisting non-free market context of these regulations.
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 14, 2012, 05:47:59 AM

The solution to oil has nothing to do with drilling for oil.  The solution is Natural Gas.  We are capping wells we've drilled because too many were drilled the prices have dropped.  Gasoline engines can be quite cheaply converted to run on natural gas.  We have enough gas to drop oil demand, and all it would take is a small tax credit program for conversions.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
Jon (OP)
Donator

View Profile
March 14, 2012, 05:52:51 AM

The solution to oil has nothing to do with drilling for oil.  The solution is Natural Gas.  We are capping wells we've drilled because too many were drilled the prices have dropped.  Gasoline engines can be quite cheaply converted to run on natural gas.  We have enough gas to drop oil demand, and all it would take is a small tax credit program for conversions.

If we could convert to natural gas on just tax credits, I would be impressed considering it's money that already exists.

notme
Legendary

View Profile
March 14, 2012, 05:56:48 AM

The solution to oil has nothing to do with drilling for oil.  The solution is Natural Gas.  We are capping wells we've drilled because too many were drilled the prices have dropped.  Gasoline engines can be quite cheaply converted to run on natural gas.  We have enough gas to drop oil demand, and all it would take is a small tax credit program for conversions.

If we could convert to natural gas on just tax credits, I would be impressed.

A vehicle can be converted for $300 in parts.  Enough people have gas lines to their home to get the vehicles on the road.  Once there are vehicles on the road, gas stations will start carrying natural gas.

Canada and Europe already have many natural gas powered vehicles.  We're lagging here.  The economics are there, it just needs a small nudge in the right direction.

Jon (OP)
Donator

View Profile
March 14, 2012, 05:59:06 AM

A vehicle can be converted for $300 in parts.  Enough people have gas lines to their home to get the vehicles on the road.  Once there are vehicles on the road, gas stations will start carrying natural gas.

Canada and Europe already have many natural gas powered vehicles.  We're lagging here.  The economics are there, it just needs a small nudge in the right direction.

Now I am really impressed. I will certainly be researching this.

How abundant and affordable is natural gas?

Thanks!

notme
Legendary

View Profile
March 14, 2012, 06:07:37 AM

Thanks!

http://www.cngnow.com/ has some good info.  It looks like there are some regulations that add a premium, so in addition to the $300 in parts, there will be the labor and the regulatory burden.

Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
March 14, 2012, 06:19:57 AM

Thanks!

http://www.cngnow.com/ has some good info.  It looks like there are some regulations that add a premium, so in addition to the $300 in parts, there will be the labor and the regulatory burden.

Here in South Korea too. We've been using LPG gas for like 10 years on all public transportation, taxis, etc.

compro01

Activity: 590

View Profile
March 14, 2012, 03:19:48 PM

The US government is barring oil companies from drilling on so-called "public land" and rather have us depend on foreign countries for our oil supply.

if you think the US's domestic oil production capacity would do anything to oil prices, your calculator needs new batteries.

Thanks!

Natural gas is cheap. Really cheap.

At present rates here, including delivery, natural gas is $6.42/gigajoule.

A gigajoule of gasoline (about 8.5 gallons) is about $35.

However, the trade off is you need 4-6 times as much space to store the same amount of energy.
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
March 14, 2012, 04:31:56 PM

I'm european and i have a gas powered car. Work like a normal car and almost every gas station has natural gas. And it's much cheaper than gasoline

RandyFolds

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 14, 2012, 04:56:59 PM

I highly doubt that you can safely and legally convert a gasoline engine with $300 in parts. My buddy just sold his 2002 LPG Honda Civic for well over $20k in Los Angeles...the same car you can get for $3k in gasoline form...so if it could be done for $300, my guess is the Mexican mechanics that actually know how to work on things would be rolling around on giant piles of money from converting hondas all day. They aren't.

He could only use it to and from work due to the extremely limited range and lack of LP stations anywhere off the beaten path.
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
March 14, 2012, 04:59:46 PM

I highly doubt that you can safely and legally convert a gasoline engine with $300 in parts.

That does sound a bit too cheap. I don't think it's rightly $3,000 though, but even here in Korea new cars that are LPG cost much more.

$20k versus $3k is a bit of a rare case though.

I would say you could do the conversion  for $1k here in Korea.

notme
Legendary

View Profile
March 14, 2012, 05:08:19 PM
Last edit: March 14, 2012, 05:24:22 PM by notme

I highly doubt that you can safely and legally convert a gasoline engine with $300 in parts. My buddy just sold his 2002 LPG Honda Civic for well over $20k in Los Angeles...the same car you can get for $3k in gasoline form...so if it could be done for $300, my guess is the Mexican mechanics that actually know how to work on things would be rolling around on giant piles of money from converting hondas all day. They aren't.

He could only use it to and from work due to the extremely limited range and lack of LP stations anywhere off the beaten path.

It looks like there are some regulations that add a premium, so in addition to the $300 in parts, there will be the labor and the regulatory burden.

Can it be done safely for $300 in parts, yes.  Legally, no.  Also, pricing in LA has nothing to do with costs.  You might want to spend a little more to get a bigger tank, but other than hooking up the fuel lines all you have to do is adjust the fuel-air ratio.

RandyFolds

View Profile
March 14, 2012, 05:18:47 PM

I highly doubt that you can safely and legally convert a gasoline engine with $300 in parts.

That does sound a bit too cheap. I don't think it's rightly $3,000 though, but even here in Korea new cars that are LPG cost much more.

$20k versus $3k is a bit of a rare case though.

I would say you could do the conversion  for $1k here in Korea.

Granted, that example was the month that the Prius no longer qualified for the "carpool lane exception" in LA and there was a mad hustle to get LPG vehicles so single commuters could still use the HOV lanes. I am sure it being California, and Los Angeles in particular adds a shitload of red tape/expense.

Still, my buddy picked an excellent time to move to Ohio.

notme; how do you registration and smog and whatnot if you go the illegal route? register it as gas and then do then conversion? I had a friend that did that with left-drive hondas and made bank, but it entailed converting the cars to right drive to get them registered, then reverting them to left-drive and selling them to the ricer crowd.

nebulus

Activity: 490

... it only gets better...

View Profile
March 14, 2012, 05:28:57 PM

Is anyone so wise and so virtuous to dictate how we should travel and how we should sell and ship our food in the name of cleaner air? That is the question.

You can live without food for about 40 days, you can live without air for about 10 minutes. That is the answer.

notme
Legendary

View Profile
March 14, 2012, 05:47:41 PM

notme; how do you registration and smog and whatnot if you go the illegal route? register it as gas and then do then conversion? I had a friend that did that with left-drive hondas and made bank, but it entailed converting the cars to right drive to get them registered, then reverting them to left-drive and selling them to the ricer crowd.

Where I live, I can register a vehicle and get it inspected without anyone looking under the hood.  Even if they did, they are unlikely to notice the extra fuel line.  We also have no emissions tests, so that wouldn't throw off any flags.  As long as nothing is falling off, lights work, brakes and tires have enough pad/tread, you can get a sticker.

I don't know how people can live in places where the government inserts itself in your ass every chance it gets.

RandyFolds

View Profile
March 14, 2012, 08:39:08 PM

I don't know how people can live in places where the government inserts itself in your ass every chance it gets.

It's pretty easy...you just bend over and spread 'em.
Jon (OP)
Donator

View Profile
March 14, 2012, 09:13:05 PM

As long as you get your food stamps and your welfare check, it feels good, eh?

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: