Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 06:59:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Best mining software settings for the BFL single  (Read 5880 times)
jamesg (OP)
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000

AKA: gigavps

View Profile
March 15, 2012, 01:30:34 AM

Hello fellow bitcoiners,

Since BFL singles are flying out all over the world to eagerly awaiting purchasers, I wanted to start a thread to find and list the best settings to use with the single. So if you have a single and have tested some settings, share them!

Thanks,
gigavps

* Looks at Fred0  Cheesy
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
March 15, 2012, 01:38:22 AM

Hello fellow bitcoiners,

Since BFL singles are flying out all over the world to eagerly awaiting purchasers, I wanted to start a thread to find and list the best settings to use with the single. So if you have a single and have tested some settings, share them!

Thanks,
gigavps

* Looks at Fred0  Cheesy
Well, for starters I can't be bothered to look through the cgminer thread to find out what I am doing wrong. What flags are usually used for no gpus and only BFL units with cgminer?

For ufasoft, I use this:

Code:
bitcoin-miner-x64.exe -i 2 -o http://user:pass@pool.com:8332

And I can add and remove devices without a software hiccup, since it recognizes them as soon as they are plugged in.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
jamesg (OP)
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
March 15, 2012, 01:54:16 AM

So far for cgminer I have something similar to this.

Code:
-o http://pool.com:8332 -u username -p x -I 9 --api-listen --failover-only -S /dev/ttyUSB0 -S /dev/ttyUSB1 -S /dev/ttyUSB2 -S /dev/ttyUSB3 -S /dev/ttyUSB4

Since I am on linux and have more than 1 single, I have to specify each one in the config.

In BAMT to get things to show up in the monitoring tools I do:

Code:
settings:
  cgminer: 1
  cgminer_opts: -o http://pool.com:8332 -u username -p x -I 9 --api-listen --failover-only -S /dev/ttyUSB0 -S /dev/ttyUSB1 -S /dev/ttyUSB2 -S /dev/ttyUSB3 -S /dev/ttyUSB4
  do_cgsnoop: 1
  do_bcast_status: 0
  do_mgpumon: 1

You have to use cgsnoop to broadcast things directly from cgminer since GPUmon and mGPUmon are designed to work with, wait for it, GPUs.
P_Shep
Legendary

Activity: 1795
Merit: 1198

This is not OK.

View Profile
March 15, 2012, 04:37:20 AM

Well, for starters I can't be bothered to look through the cgminer thread to find out what I am doing wrong. What flags are usually used for no gpus and only BFL units with cgminer?

For ufasoft, I use this:

Code:

And I can add and remove devices without a software hiccup, since it recognizes them as soon as they are plugged in.

If you're using the cgminer binaries, it won't work - BFL is disabled by default, you need re-compile it with it enabled.
rjk

1ngldh

View Profile
March 15, 2012, 04:40:06 AM

For ufasoft, I use this:

Code:

If you're using the cgminer binaries, it won't work - BFL is disabled by default, you need re-compile it with it enabled.
Ah that's where I was tripping up. I like the plug-n-play ufasoft version, so I don't have to specify each device, but I want my BAMT charts and graphs Sad

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
P_Shep
Legendary

This is not OK.

View Profile
March 15, 2012, 05:28:24 AM

I'm sure very soon cgminer will have it enabled by default Smiley
RoloTonyBrownTown

Activity: 350

View Profile
March 15, 2012, 05:37:31 AM

I'm currently using:

Code:
cgminer -o http://pool.com:8332 -u x -p x -S COM7 --disable-gpu

Seems to work Smiley     Haven't bothered with Intensity as I'm getting a pretty steady 830ish Mh (according to cgminer anyway, but I'm not sure how much I trust that figure) Wink

zefir
Donator

Activity: 919

View Profile
March 15, 2012, 07:52:01 AM
Last edit: March 15, 2012, 08:04:03 AM by zefir

Two things for cgminer: first, as P_Shep noted, FPGAs are not supported in cgminer's default build configuration. If working with Linux, build your BFL-only cgminer with
Code:
./autogen.sh && ./configure --disable-opencl --enable-bitforce && make

Second, due to the fact that the Singles are working the full nonce range en-block, there are no mining related parameters. If you read the BFL-only cgminer's help message (./cgminer --help), you'll see that those parameters you usually fight with to get GPU mining optimized (e.g. intensity) are missing. The only parameter that is considered for FPGAs is the --temp-cutoff that is meant to stop a device that reached the given temp (default: 95°C). But since the Singles are throttling themselves, they a) never reach the default cuttoff temp and b) it does not really make sense to use a lower value since the devices take care themselves to not burst into flames.

I'm still waiting for my Singles to test, therefore this is only from what the code says.

Tl;dr: there are no 'best mining settings for the BFL single' in cgminer.

jamesg (OP)
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
March 15, 2012, 10:20:37 AM

Two things for cgminer: first, as P_Shep noted, FPGAs are not supported in cgminer's default build configuration. If working with Linux, build your BFL-only cgminer with
Code:
./autogen.sh && ./configure --disable-opencl --enable-bitforce && make

Second, due to the fact that the Singles are working the full nonce range en-block, there are no mining related parameters. If you read the BFL-only cgminer's help message (./cgminer --help), you'll see that those parameters you usually fight with to get GPU mining optimized (e.g. intensity) are missing. The only parameter that is considered for FPGAs is the --temp-cutoff that is meant to stop a device that reached the given temp (default: 95°C). But since the Singles are throttling themselves, they a) never reach the default cuttoff temp and b) it does not really make sense to use a lower value since the devices take care themselves to not burst into flames.

I'm still waiting for my Singles to test, therefore this is only from what the code says.

Hi zefir, what about the queue for BFL singles? What about forcing the submission of stale work? How do these play into running the BFL single correctly?

I think there are other options to be played with that may or may not help to optimize the single. Thoughts?
jamesg (OP)
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
March 15, 2012, 10:36:15 AM

I want my BAMT charts and graphs Sad

Hi rjk,

The latest BAMT v0.5 with all of the fixes has cgminer compiled with BFL support. I donated heavily to also have lodcrappo fix up BAMT to recognize singles.

You can have your BFL singles and BAMT too!  Grin
rjk

1ngldh

View Profile
March 15, 2012, 02:53:36 PM

I want my BAMT charts and graphs Sad

Hi rjk,

The latest BAMT v0.5 with all of the fixes has cgminer compiled with BFL support. I donated heavily to also have lodcrappo fix up BAMT to recognize singles.

You can have your BFL singles and BAMT too!  Grin
Cool, I need to get around to trying it.

Mousepotato

Activity: 896

Seal Cub Clubbing Club

View Profile
March 15, 2012, 04:50:36 PM

Sorry for the slightly off-topic post, but is BFL getting new orders delivered within 4-6 weeks?  I remember seeing a thread about who ordered when and if it had been shipped/delivered yet.  But the search feature on SMF is horribad and I can't find that thread anymore.  I really want to order some Singles, but not if I have to wait 2 months.

Mousepotato
BTC-engineer

Activity: 360

View Profile
March 15, 2012, 05:38:09 PM

Sorry for the slightly off-topic post, but is BFL getting new orders delivered within 4-6 weeks?  I remember seeing a thread about who ordered when and if it had been shipped/delivered yet.  But the search feature on SMF is horribad and I can't find that thread anymore.  I really want to order some Singles, but not if I have to wait 2 months.

Here it is.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=67887.0

█         
                             ▀██       
                              ███▄     
                              █████     
                 ▄██████████   █████   
            ▄███████████████   █████▄   
         ▄██████████████████   ██████   
       █████████████████████  ███████   
     ██████████████████████   ████████ 
   ▄████████▀                █████████ 
  ██████    ▄██████         ██████████ 
 ███▀    ▄██████████      ███████████   
██       ████████████    ████████████   
          █████████████   ██████████   
            █████████████   ███████     
              █████████████▄    ██▀     
                 ██████████████         
                    ▀███████████████▄   
                          ▀███████████▀

FLUX 

VALVE      UBISOFT     GAMING ECOSYSTEM      Origin      GAMELOFT 
                   WEBSITE WHITEPAPER MEDIUM TWITTER FACEBOOK TELEGRAM █       

17 - 24 April
   Public Sale
zefir
Donator

View Profile
March 15, 2012, 06:07:53 PM

[...]

Hi zefir, what about the queue for BFL singles? What about forcing the submission of stale work? How do these play into running the BFL single correctly?

I think there are other options to be played with that may or may not help to optimize the single. Thoughts?

Sure that parameters are still available with FPGA miners, but they are not directly related to mining itself. Those you named are for pool management, and this depends on the pools you use, the fallback strategies you like etc. You need to know if your pool honors stale shares, but thats independent of the used device. Like we know from kano's explanation in another thread that P2Pool is not the best choice for Singles.

You might even prefer going solo, as soon as your C200 and RigBoxes arrive Wink

Or were you explicitly asking for the best BFS settings when mining for the major pools around?

Turbor
Legendary

Activity: 1022

BitMinter

View Profile WWW
March 15, 2012, 06:24:37 PM

I hope we will see a working build for win7 soon ! I want to run Icarus and the singles with cgminer.

zefir
Donator

View Profile
March 15, 2012, 07:28:04 PM

I hope we will see a working build for win7 soon ! I want to run Icarus and the singles with cgminer.

Building cgminer for Windows is not quite trivial, not sure if other devs than Con are actually doing them. I once started de-coupling cgminer dependencies to make it compilable with VisualStudio but gave up after realizing that a) it's to much work and b) Windows folks are not really interested in building their programs for themselves...

P_Shep
Legendary

This is not OK.

View Profile
March 15, 2012, 07:40:56 PM

There's a full guide floating around to compile cgminer for windows. Not sure where though.
P_Shep
Legendary

This is not OK.

View Profile
March 15, 2012, 07:45:31 PM

http://pastebin.com/3pzivj32
Turbor
Legendary

Activity: 1022

BitMinter

View Profile WWW
March 15, 2012, 07:57:58 PM

I'm lazzy... i give out a 5 BTC bounty for a working (Icarus and BFL) windows build.

jamesg (OP)
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
March 15, 2012, 07:58:34 PM

I'm lazzy... i give out a 5 BTC bounty for a working (Icarus and BFL) windows build.

Please start your own thread for this.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: