Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 03:10:51 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Good resources for programming in C?  (Read 714 times)
bridgesro (OP)

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 12, 2014, 07:49:30 PM

I'm hoping to learn how to program in C/C++ in my spare time after work. I'm going through a book right now that's pretty helpful, but I was hoping some people here could point me towards some other good books or other resources that could help me along.

I'm still at the bare basics level right now, but I'm open to some more advanced resources for when I'm ready to check them out. Any general advice or programming tips would be great too. Thanks!
robbyd86

Activity: 135
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 13, 2014, 12:25:14 AM

cplusplus.com is a site I used a lot just to look up different keywords etc.  It's not super clear all the time, but I could usually work it out.

I learned through school, so most of the resources were slide shows and lectures the teacher put together.  We used the book "Starting out with C++" by Tony Gaddis.  It seemed pretty good, has a lot of challenges/quizzes at the end of each chapter to help you learn.

Stackoverflow.com is another great site for any programming language.  I'm not too advanced as I just did the first class, but I will be taking the advanced class next spring which I'm looking forward to.
Remember remember the 5th of November
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile
July 13, 2014, 01:16:59 AM

StackOverflow should be used only when you have clear goal or well defined question to ask. Since the site is rating based you can have your account suspended(at least the question asking rights) if you get too many downvotes.

Also, many oldschool programmers who have decades of programming experience will recommend Dennis Ritchie and Brian Kernighan's The C Programming language 3rd edition book.

BTC:1AiCRMxgf1ptVQwx6hDuKMu4f7F27QmJC2
Malin Keshar

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 13, 2014, 10:39:05 AM

C++: how to program ?

Or this tutorial:

http://www.learncpp.com
RedDiamond

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 13, 2014, 11:56:37 AM

This book is classic: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_C_Programming_Language
The second author (Dennis Ritchie) was the origal desiger of C language.
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2014, 03:43:49 PM

http://www.amazon.com/Primer-5th-Edition-Stanley-Lippman/dp/0321714113

It has an entire glossary of definitions of all the programming terms and vocabulary you'll ever find, so if you have a specific question or you want to talk programming with other programmers you'll know what the fuck they're on about and it will let you search for even more resources because you'll know the proper programming terms for what you make.
josephliton

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 13, 2014, 03:53:40 PM

Get the C++ Ebook, a complete C++ course
    Getting Started with C or C++
    C Tutorial
    C++ Tutorial
    From C++ Beginner to C++ Expert - a book series
    Take C and C++ Practice Quizzes
    Solve Practice Problems

bitmaster111

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2014, 06:11:02 PM

if you want to learn good knowledge about c/c++ so we have to start watching some videos on YouTube and needs to download good tutorial for beginner on Google . you will easily learn c/c++ with help videos now it try because it is the best way to learn with videos and also entertaining part Smiley
bridgesro (OP)

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 10:57:28 PM

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I've got quite a bit of an Amazon wishlist now, lol!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: