Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 03:12:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Copyright Math  (Read 1382 times)
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2012, 04:18:56 PM
Last edit: March 16, 2012, 06:22:00 PM by Phinnaeus Gage

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/03/16/author-hilariously-illustrates-why-copyright-math-is-bogus/

Giving a recent TED Talk, author Rob Reid, creator of the online music subscription service Rhapsody, illustrated for the audience exactly why so-called “copyright math” is almost completely bogus.

“Copyright math” is a term used for the extrapolations published by groups like the Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA), or the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA), which lobby Washington for tougher laws on copyright infringement by claiming exorbitant financial and job losses due to online piracy.

The best thread on this forum that references copyright laws is 116 pages long and is entitled Intellectual Property - In All Fairness!: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=38854.0

Discuss.

~Bruno~

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2012, 04:44:33 PM

Your thread, you go first.  Wink

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2012, 04:51:29 PM

Your thread, you go first.  Wink

No you don't! I'm not falling for that trap, BadBear. Somebody else is going have to post a comment before I get involved in this vital politicized discussion. Do I have Atlas written on my forehead? (something tells me that I may regret writing that last sentence)

~Cackling Bear~
FirstAscent

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 16, 2012, 05:08:23 PM

Whenever I invite people into discussing a topic without throwing out some really provocative viewpoints to begin with, the thread ends up being a meta discussion about discussing the topic instead of discussing the topic.

Frustrating as hell.
P_Shep
Legendary

Activity: 1795
Merit: 1198

This is not OK.

View Profile
March 16, 2012, 05:14:23 PM

Whenever I invite people into discussing a topic without throwing out some really provocative viewpoints to begin with, the thread ends up being a meta discussion about discussing the topic instead of discussing the topic.

Frustrating as hell.

God, I hate it when that happens.
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
March 16, 2012, 05:17:49 PM

The math checks out.  Next.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 16, 2012, 05:20:04 PM

Frustrating as hell.

Here are some provocative viewpoints that are nearly on topic:
0.999999999.......... < 1
Pi is more awesome than e
P=NP

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2012, 05:57:21 PM

Frustrating as hell.

Stupid me! You are correct, FirstAscent. I have now added an image to the OP. The video is only about 5 minutes long and fun to watch.

~Bruno~
FirstAscent

View Profile
March 16, 2012, 05:59:10 PM

Frustrating as hell.

If the digits on the LHS go on forever, is the above statement true or false?

Speaking of provocative, is Godel's Theorem provocative? I only wish I understood it enough to say yes or no.
FirstAscent

View Profile
March 16, 2012, 06:02:04 PM

Stupid me! You are correct, FirstAscent.

I speak from firsthand experience.

I have now added an image to the OP. The video is only about 5 minutes long and fun to watch.

Sadly, I have not yet watched the video. Frustrating, isn't it? I mean, geez, it's just five minutes. And I love TED too! However, the image is somewhat helpful. So is he saying that stupid ringtones are where the financial losses are, and music piracy does not account for most of the losses?
notme
Legendary

View Profile
March 16, 2012, 06:24:25 PM

Frustrating as hell.

Speaking of provocative, is Godel's Theorem provocative? I only wish I understood it enough to say yes or no.

Which of his theorems?  One of the two incompleteness theorems, or one of his other works?

Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2012, 06:25:40 PM

Stupid me! You are correct, FirstAscent.

I speak from firsthand experience.

I have now added an image to the OP. The video is only about 5 minutes long and fun to watch.

Sadly, I have not yet watched the video. Frustrating, isn't it? I mean, geez, it's just five minutes. And I love TED too! However, the image is somewhat helpful. So is he saying that stupid ringtones are where the financial losses are, and music piracy does not account for most of the losses?

Now, I official admit that I fucked up! I've revised the OP some more. Thank you, FirstAscent, again, for bringing this to my attention. I will never again start a new thread offering up a so vague first post.

~Bruno~
FirstAscent

View Profile
March 16, 2012, 06:46:57 PM

Frustrating as hell.

Which of his theorems?  One of the two incompleteness theorems, or one of his other works?

Godel's incompleteness theorem(s) is/are known as Godel's Theorem.
FirstAscent

View Profile
March 16, 2012, 06:56:38 PM

The best thread on this forum that references copyright laws is 116 pages long and is entitled Intellectual Property - In All Fairness!: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=38854.0

I was a participant in that thread. For the record, a movie is a stream of data which can be construed to be a very large number that, even if compressed, changed, and so on, is unlikely to exist anywhere else in our Solar System as something which exists for the purpose of viewing. Conclusion: it only exists because a group of people made it, and would not have existed otherwise, and thus, its creators deserve to not have it copied and distributed by others.
notme
Legendary

View Profile
March 16, 2012, 07:29:05 PM

Frustrating as hell.

Godel's incompleteness theorem(s) is/are known as Godel's Theorem.

Well, I find the first more provocative than the second, which is why I ask.  Also, Godel had other theorems in the areas of computability and recursive functions.  But, most provocative of all was his work proving the undisprovability of the axiom of choice, which opened up thousands of new proofs never before possible.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: