Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 09:09:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Which wallet is the best  (Read 2583 times)
gondel (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 13, 2014, 11:59:33 AM

Hello,
Just wandering which wallet is the best according to security?
Best wallet to make paper wallets?
Thanks
BR
Gondel
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
tsoPANos

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

In math we trust.

View Profile
July 13, 2014, 01:19:46 PM

In my opinion, Armory is the most secure wallet.
I comes with many security-related features.
gondel (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 13, 2014, 01:57:58 PM

Thank you for the quick response!
Can I make paper wallets with Armory? I know that I cannot with Multibit
BR
DubFX

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 13, 2014, 01:59:57 PM

Thank you for the quick response!
Can I make paper wallets with Armory? I know that I cannot with Multibit
BR
Yes you can do so with armory.
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2014, 05:54:42 PM

This will be one of the most secure ways of making paper wallets https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/mycelium-entropy
coory

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

We Have To Stop The IMC!

View Profile
July 13, 2014, 07:26:40 PM

in my opinion : btc-e and blockchain
DubFX

View Profile
July 13, 2014, 08:03:01 PM

Both of them are online and one is exchange wich you should never hold your coins on and blockchain.info may be vulneable.
coory

We Have To Stop The IMC!

View Profile
July 13, 2014, 08:13:28 PM

Both of them are online and one is exchange wich you should never hold your coins on and blockchain.info may be vulneable.
so what's your advice ?
which wallet is the best?
DubFX

View Profile
July 13, 2014, 08:21:42 PM

so what's your advice ?
Wallets that are stored in your computer for example Armory or offline wallets.
gondel (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 13, 2014, 09:15:58 PM

Why btc-e really?
Itis online and there is a chance that it can get hacked and your coins are in the hands of someone else..:/
coory

We Have To Stop The IMC!

View Profile
July 13, 2014, 10:16:56 PM

so what's your advice ?

thanks bro  Undecided
runam0k
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

Touchdown

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 12:32:28 PM

Armory's GUI is not terribly user friendly IMO.

I choose Electrum (PC - cold storage) and Mycelium (Android - hot wallet).  Both rock solid and it's easy to back up your wallets (or in the case of Electrum, the wallet seed).

Put Electrum on a cheap, always offline device (Raspberry Pi, cheap Android tablet, cheap Windows tablet/netbook) and you have a perfect cold storage setup capable of signing offline transactions as and when necessary.  You can have a watch only version of your Electrum wallet on your regular computer (for occasionally checking the wallet and for generating transactions to sign).

Get creative in the way you hide the Electrum wallet seed - for example, put it in a series of pictures or in the middle of a large, otherwise unrelated Word document and email it to yourself - then you will have the ability, in an emergency, to rebuild your wallet anywhere in the world.  No worrying about paper backups getting lost/stolen/destroyed.

The only thing lacking from the above is multisig.  I'm still waiting for the ideal multisig solution.
DubFX

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 01:44:02 PM

so what's your advice ?

thanks bro  Undecided
No problem Smiley
abercrombie
Legendary

Activity: 1159

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 06:12:43 PM
Last edit: July 15, 2014, 06:32:50 PM by abercrombie

Paper Wallets with a Bip-38 password are most secure because they will never touched the Internet until used, if created correctly.  And if someone breaks into your safe or safety deposit box, the encrypted public address won't work.

The paper can be put in a safe, along with an electronic version that is PGP encrypted on a USB stick.
thms

Activity: 427

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 12:31:01 AM

Paper Wallets with a Bip-38 password are most secure because they will never touched the Internet until used, if created correctly.  And if someone breaks into your safe or safety deposit box, the encrypted public address won't work.

The paper can be put in a safe, along with an electronic version that is PGP encrypted on a USB stick.

And where will you store your BIP-38 passphrase and your PGP key? I don't understand all these extra passwords that you will have to store somewhere the same way you would store your BTC private key. Might as well just store the private key directly.
abercrombie
Legendary

Activity: 1159

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 03:11:06 AM
Last edit: July 16, 2014, 08:08:02 PM by abercrombie

And where will you store your BIP-38 passphrase and your PGP key? I don't understand all these extra passwords that you will have to store somewhere the same way you would store your BTC private key. Might as well just store the private key directly.

Passphrase is stored in my head.   Grin

Never write down a password.  Lips sealed
runam0k
Legendary

Activity: 1092

Touchdown

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 11:23:07 PM

Passphrase is stored in my head.   Grin

Never write down a password.  Lips sealed
What about bus factor?  Strong passwords are difficult to remember, especially if you rarely use it.  Even more difficult for e.g. a family member to remember, without writing it down.  My wife now knows how to find the seed for my Electrum cold storage wallet.  The rest she can Google.  Multisig is the way to go, probably, for ensuring family members get your bitcoins should the worst happen.  Hand a few keys out, keep one with the will and make it e.g. 3 of x.  Still waiting for a good multisig wallet though (copay by bitpay is looking good, currently in beta).
joshraban76

Activity: 252

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 11:35:20 PM

I am using electrum and I think it is really solid. In the next week or 2 I will be buying a cheap laptop that will be used for offline only. I will configure it so that when I would like to process a transaction I will do it on the offline pc then transfer just the transaction to my online PC to actually process. I think this is a very good way to secure your coin.

\   \  \ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\◥◣◢◤//////////////// /  /   /
Win88.me ❖ Fair, Trusted Online BTC Gambling ❖
/   /  / ////////////////◢◤◥◣\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \  \   \
heybigboy1

Activity: 65

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 10:31:05 AM

I'm using MultiBit but thinking of using something a bit more.. Better Cheesy
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: