Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 06:06:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Geocaching for bitcoins  (Read 9098 times)
phelix
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1019

View Profile
December 08, 2012, 05:37:35 PM

print paper wallet with cool design, fill with small bitcoin amount, deposit like any other geocacheing treasure.

https://www.bitaddress.org

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2012, 12:30:24 PM

print paper wallet with cool design, fill with small bitcoin amount, deposit like any other geocacheing treasure.

I've hidden about 50 fliers with two instawallet addresses on two versions of the fliers...

No one has claimed thed bitcoins yet.... haha

How user friendly is the paper wallet?

I personnaly have not used one yet, but will look into it when I am on a computer (on the bus right now)

If anyone is near Ohio, USA, feel free to find some of Team_Little_Bear's caches & you'll be rewarded with some bitcoin.

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.
phelix
Legendary

View Profile
December 10, 2012, 09:45:55 PM

I've hidden about 50 fliers with two instawallet addresses on two versions of the fliers...

No one has claimed thed bitcoins yet.... haha

How user friendly is the paper wallet?

I personnaly have not used one yet, but will look into it when I am on a computer (on the bus right now)

If anyone is near Ohio, USA, feel free to find some of Team_Little_Bear's caches & you'll be rewarded with some bitcoin.

nice. the thing about these bills is they really look good. you can swipe them with the gox app so if you know your tools it is very user friendly. probably it would be a good idea to add this info (maybe on the back side).

I have not yet found a way to check the balance other than copy past from qr code scanner app to browser & blockexplorer.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2012, 01:07:25 AM

Perhaps it was deleted under this TOS violation?  Grin

Source: http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules
9.  Commerciality and postings with a larger agenda: It is Groundspeak's desire to maintain forums for the purpose of promoting the activity of geocaching and location-based outdoor play.  We intend to limit forum discussions that promote commercial, social, political or charitable agendas as well as those which do not reasonably relate to the activity of geocaching and location-based outdoor play.

Threads or posts perceived to have been made with the intent of promoting any of the above agendas will not be permitted. Please note that our Volunteer Forum Moderators are authorized to exercise their discretion in providing some reasonable latitude for forum discussion postings relating to local events and issues in local discussion forums. Notwithstanding the above, Groundspeak reserves the right to include or permit the inclusion of limited commercial content in this forum, at its sole discretion.

Sounds to me like a new geocaching enterprise may be in order. One based on Bitcoin and advertisers, thus truly making it worthwhile for the masses to get involved.

Can't fiat be considered a political concern? If so, then hiding a penny would violate their TOS. You can't get a more larger agenda then that of money, can you?

~Bruno K~
redbeans2012

Activity: 887
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 02:07:05 AM

Here is my idea for Geocaching / treasure hunt.  I've always wanted to do it but just don't have time, especially since I dove into Solavei 100%.

I wanted bury a thumb drive somewhere with the wallet on it.

Then have a website that gave clues ect.  Rent out advertising space on the website... take some of that advertising $$ and keep adding to the amount that is on the thumb drive (or any other medium to store btc's on).  Even if its at the bottom of a lake somewhere.  If the amount gets high enough, people will be putting on scuba suits. 

Someone do this. (not sure if this was mentioned in the thread, didn't read it all)

Mike
phelix
Legendary

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 07:23:27 PM

Here is my idea for Geocaching / treasure hunt.  I've always wanted to do it but just don't have time, especially since I dove into Solavei 100%.

I wanted bury a thumb drive somewhere with the wallet on it.

Then have a website that gave clues ect.  Rent out advertising space on the website... take some of that advertising $$ and keep adding to the amount that is on the thumb drive (or any other medium to store btc's on).  Even if its at the bottom of a lake somewhere.  If the amount gets high enough, people will be putting on scuba suits.  

Someone do this. (not sure if this was mentioned in the thread, didn't read it all)

Mike

cool idea. could be done with a paper wallet, too.

also rising bitcoin price could add motivation.
JustJake

Activity: 60
Merit: 10

Numisalis - Physical Tradable Bitcoin

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2013, 08:10:17 PM

I made a post in the Project Development section of this forum.  I am not doing an open Alpha of my Bitcoin geocaching game.  Its is called BitScavenger and can be found at http://bitscavenger.net.

Here is the post from the other forum:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=182212.0

I have been in crunch mode trying to work out all the bugs that I completely forgot that it would be a good idea to have some geocaches set up before announcing the game.  I will try to get some set up in my home town of Austin TX so you can see that the app works.  There is so much I want to do with this, but before I get ahead of myself, please give me feedback on how well the core concept works.
108shivad

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 25, 2017, 12:21:38 AM

Hey guys,

new to geo-cacheing for bitcoin. visiting a few places in CA (yep, as the x-governor would say Cal-leaf-forn-ya) where i can find the coins relativeyl easy, but the questions don't seem related to the location. i.e. i get into one residential street, pure houses, and the question is: "what company would you buy from here?". Huh tried everything, street names, numbers, couldn't pick up the coins. same for a bunch of others. Huh

any suggestions?

thanks
shivad
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
April 25, 2017, 02:34:03 AM
Last edit: April 25, 2017, 04:39:43 AM by QuestionAuthority

Hey guys,

new to geo-cacheing for bitcoin. visiting a few places in CA (yep, as the x-governor would say Cal-leaf-forn-ya) where i can find the coins relativeyl easy, but the questions don't seem related to the location. i.e. i get into one residential street, pure houses, and the question is: "what company would you buy from here?". Huh tried everything, street names, numbers, couldn't pick up the coins. same for a bunch of others. Huh

any suggestions?

thanks
shivad

I'm the OP of this thread (changed my nick years ago). Back when I started this thread I put some btc in a geocache in San Francisco's Lincoln Park. They were never recovered. I'll give you a big hint to finding them. Standing at the geocache you can see the golf course clubhouse, the Legion of Honor and the Golden Gate Bridge. As far as I can tell it's the only geocache in the park where you can see all three from one spot.

Good luck

BTW: I put them there when btc wasn't worth as much. There are two whole coins in that cache.

108shivad

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 25, 2017, 04:15:03 AM

ah-hah!
 so u r "newt343" eh? i see it on the beach down there. thnx. but i only see 1. is the other downtown (just south of Presidio)? {what is a 'fidi gem'}. lol. nice work. but these bitcoin questons r killing me. thanks. i'll give 'em 'nother try.  Kiss

GBY
shivad
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
April 25, 2017, 04:26:13 AM

ah-hah!
 so u r "newt343" eh? i see it on the beach down there. thnx. but i only see 1. is the other downtown (just south of Presidio)? {what is a 'fidi gem'}. lol. nice work. but these bitcoin questons r killing me. thanks. i'll give 'em 'nother try.  Kiss

GBY
shivad

Yes, you must have found it. One is at Lincoln and has directions to the other downtown. Congrats!

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: