Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 09:22:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Geocaching for bitcoins  (Read 9098 times)
pastory99

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 19, 2012, 05:10:20 AM

That’s pretty complex. I’m not sure people are ready for Raiders of the Lost Ark geocaching. Maybe it would be better if we just stashed some bitcoin private keys and tracked them on a website.

I bet you'll have second thoughts on your post after viewing this 1:56 video, paying close attention to mark 1:33. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbJHCwdUITk

Shit just got real!

~Bruno~

=O
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2012, 05:31:55 AM

That’s pretty complex. I’m not sure people are ready for Raiders of the Lost Ark geocaching. Maybe it would be better if we just stashed some bitcoin private keys and tracked them on a website.

I bet you'll have second thoughts on your post after viewing this 1:56 video, paying close attention to mark 1:33. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbJHCwdUITk

Shit just got real!

~Bruno~

=O

To quote Bill O'Reilly: I don't know what that shit means!

~Bruno~

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2012, 05:44:05 AM

That’s perfect! All we need to do is get Coca-Cola and the State of New Mexico as clients to fund the operation.  Grin

QR Code Mobile Scavenger Hunt

and a completely different video

QR Code Scavenger Hunt
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2012, 06:23:46 AM

That’s perfect! All we need to do is get Coca-Cola and the State of New Mexico as clients to fund the operation.  Grin

QR Code Mobile Scavenger Hunt

and a completely different video

QR Code Scavenger Hunt

You’re not getting any better Bruno. ESET antivirus and mangomoney.com can also afford to fund this. How do we do it?

I've done nothing but research this topic for the past two hours, and believe I found the question to your answer. Setting up a Geocaching Marketing Campaign http://paul-kwiatkowski.com/?p=402

I believe there are 4 key components to building a strong geocaching campaign: providing a strong incentive; constantly updating the advertising; providing a great companion site; and social media integration.

Even the smallest coffee shop could make good use of this sort of marketing.
phelix
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1019

View Profile
March 19, 2012, 07:38:46 AM

subscribing

Arrr! 'tis smells like treasure hunt.

edit: bitpirates.com ?
edd
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2012, 11:38:43 AM

This might be something I'd be willing to re-work SearchingForSatoshi.com for. Maybe to run alongside the idea of linking paper money to bitcoin addresses or somehow incorporating one idea into the other.

(This post written mainly to subscribe.)

Still around.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2012, 01:12:12 PM

This might be something I'd be willing to re-work SearchingForSatoshi.com for. Maybe to run alongside the idea of linking paper money to bitcoin addresses or somehow incorporating one idea into the other.

Or a hybrid cache search: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=68845.msg808984#msg808984

Consider it geocaching in plain view.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2012, 02:03:35 PM

Screwing around at My Own Labels, I created the following to get the creative juices flowing: http://www.myownlabels.com/photo_labels/SPVR07/

These are peel-and-stick bookplates, albeit pricey. The one shown below are $.80 USD each sold in blocks of (?). I'm sure we could make similar ones with our own printers.

proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
March 19, 2012, 02:43:18 PM

searchingforsatoshi.com would be awesome for this sort of thing.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2012, 02:44:07 PM
Last edit: March 19, 2012, 02:56:28 PM by Phinnaeus Gage

Yep! Can definitely bootstrap this idea to geocaching.com: http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.aspx?guid=45874e01-e266-43d9-b6d9-09baaf9b04ec

edd
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2012, 05:45:58 PM

Yep! Can definitely bootstrap this idea to geocaching.com: http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.aspx?guid=45874e01-e266-43d9-b6d9-09baaf9b04ec

I really like the idea of having a t-shirt with a QR code which reveals a encrypted key (or part of one) or a clue or a unique URL, but I verified with the guy who did the shirts for the convention, it will be relatively much more expensive to print many shirts with a different QR code on each than to have shirts with identical prints.

Also, a sponsor might be convinced to pay for a new shirt or three for the sake of the game, but what happens if it doesn't get worn? How many shirts should be sent out to make for an interesting hunt and how much time should be alotted with no activity before considering starting over?

Still around.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2012, 07:20:42 PM

I really like the idea of having a t-shirt with a QR code which reveals a encrypted key (or part of one) or a clue or a unique URL, but I verified with the guy who did the shirts for the convention, it will be relatively much more expensive to print many shirts with a different QR code on each than to have shirts with identical prints.

Also, a sponsor might be convinced to pay for a new shirt or three for the sake of the game, but what happens if it doesn't get worn? How many shirts should be sent out to make for an interesting hunt and how much time should be alotted with no activity before considering starting over?

That’s my concern too. Costly items can be given away by large companies. We need to do something cheaper. I don’t think the T-shirt idea will be cost effective for a small group of people. We should have a website and promote the hunts on social media. It would be nice if a Smartphone app programmer could donate their time to making something to display the hunts on most phones.

Going to reply without Googling to prove my point. A tad of research may be warranted.

There are quality plane colored tees that could be had for under $5.00 USD each. The QR-Code could be printed out, then ironed onto the shirt.

~Bruno~

EDIT: http://www.cheapestees.com/anli10cotee.html?gclid=COyiobyZ9q4CFQIBQAodOVYEwQ
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2012, 07:47:08 PM

That's not too bad. Where do you get the iron-on or do you know how to make them yourself? I've never done that so I have no idea how difficult it is.

You can get them here or at Walmart: http://h71036.www7.hp.com/hho/cache/344461-0-0-225-121.html

You print it out on your printer just like if you were printing anything else. Very easy. Even the ironing aspect is easy.

~Bruno~
edd
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2012, 08:18:54 PM

That's not too bad. Where do you get the iron-on or do you know how to make them yourself? I've never done that so I have no idea how difficult it is.

You can get them here or at Walmart: http://h71036.www7.hp.com/hho/cache/344461-0-0-225-121.html

You print it out on your printer just like if you were printing anything else. Very easy. Even the ironing aspect is easy.

~Bruno~

Okay, that could work. My t-shirt guy could probably get the shirts for even less. I could have him print a logo and maybe a bitcoin business sponsor ad, while leaving a big enough space for the iron-on.

Still around.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2012, 12:55:41 AM

Ok, then it can be put together. So now, how do we market the idea?

First, we get this horse head mask, then... Seriously, I'm working on it. A better reply is forthcoming.

~Bruno~
edd
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2012, 01:02:16 AM

First, we get this horse head mask, then... Seriously, I'm working on it. A better reply is forthcoming.

~Bruno~

Marketing for this is really the easiest part, IMO.

The tricky part is designing the game in a fun and unique way.

Still around.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2012, 01:20:56 AM
Last edit: March 21, 2012, 01:34:07 AM by Phinnaeus Gage

~Bruno~

Marketing for this is really the easiest part, IMO.

The tricky part is designing the game in a fun and unique way.

Summer is right around the corner, therefore I'm in a festival state of mind while currently conducting this research. My thought process may vector to another direction while on this hunt, but at the moment still in this line of thinking.

I need a question answered, one asked many times before on this forum. Where can I view a list of the current fattest wallets? This could be relevant, for I've something in mind. Moreover, I desire to know the largest wallet that's never been touched, possibly Satoshi's.

~Bruno~
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2012, 06:32:01 AM

Here's a quick 1:44 video: Using QR Codes for Contests and Other Entry Forms http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtoqsmLAFpY
edd
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2012, 09:08:23 AM

Since I seem to be suffering from a bit of insomnia, I figured I might as well put a few ideas down before I forget them.

Sponsors pay for shirts.

Visitors may register and get sent a shirt for free. (One per address, of course.)

One random shirt has a QR code containing a private key which holds one BTC. All other QR codes are clues.

Clues send players on a geocaching treasure hunt and the grand prize is the private key to a wallet publicly published on the site which grows until it's claimed or a pre-determined amount of time has passed.

Still around.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2012, 03:24:59 PM

Since I seem to be suffering from a bit of insomnia, I figured I might as well put a few ideas down before I forget them.

Sponsors pay for shirts.

Visitors may register and get sent a shirt for free. (One per address, of course.)

One random shirt has a QR code containing a private key which holds one BTC. All other QR codes are clues.

Clues send players on a geocaching treasure hunt and the grand prize is the private key to a wallet publicly published on the site which grows until it's claimed or a pre-determined amount of time has passed.

A QR code with a message above (and/or below) it: Crack this code and claim the biggest prize on the internet (or something like that). The prize being the largest untouched Bitcoin wallet/address. Of course it can't be cracked with today's technology, but it does bring awareness to Bitcoin.

For this to have maximum impact, I suggest a well thought out landing page being the first stop. A landing page with rotating adverts, this is. And to make it not a total waste of time for the visitor, a Bitcoin faucet and, perhaps, a coupon.

~Bruno~
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: