Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 08:26:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Geocaching for bitcoins  (Read 9097 times)
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2012, 11:07:46 PM

Perhaps, getting into a dialog with a true geocacher is warranted. I found this guy: http://headhardhat-geocache.blogspot.com/

Bear in mind, I'm not advocating converting him to using Bitcoin, but tapping him for insight about geocaching in general. We may be missing something important as to why it won't work or, on the other hand, he'll enlighten us with something as to how he sees working. We're not experts at geocaching, therefore we must be humble enough to pique Andy Smith's thoughts on the matter.

~Bruno~

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2012, 01:12:48 AM

Perhaps, getting into a dialog with a true geocacher is warranted. I found this guy: http://headhardhat-geocache.blogspot.com/

Bear in mind, I'm not advocating converting him to using Bitcoin, but tapping him for insight about geocaching in general. We may be missing something important as to why it won't work or, on the other hand, he'll enlighten us with something as to how he sees working. We're not experts at geocaching, therefore we must be humble enough to pique Andy Smith's thoughts on the matter.

~Bruno~

That's a good idea. Find out what hardcore geocacher's are interested in doing.

Why did I have to use more words than you, CBH, to relay the same exact thing?

Andy should be pretty easy to get in touch with. I would suggest starting the dialog by being straight up with him, expressing our intent. If anybody is planning on doing just that, please express your intentions here first so that there's not two or three others doing the same thing.

~Bruno~
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2012, 01:36:29 AM
Last edit: March 23, 2012, 04:27:17 AM by Phinnaeus Gage

A video of the creator of geocoins: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RZm5seYbws

A video of geocachers hunting weed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tmL7vIZNK4

Upon viewing several more videos, you'll never guess what's commonly placed in geocaches...wait for it...Magic: The Gathering cards.

phelix
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1019

View Profile
March 22, 2012, 08:20:08 AM

~Bruno~

I'm a moderate geocacher. I would say they are in it for the riddles and the hunting. Certainly not for the money as there is none in geocaching.

But there could be and people not usually geocaching might just need that for motivation to participate in a bitcoin treasure hunt.

Is there something like an online scavenger hunt?

What about a bitcoin competition where you pay for a starting fee, have to solve some cryptocurrency related tasks and get your fee back once you finish?

Nyaaan

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2012, 01:44:51 PM

~Bruno~

I'm a moderate geocacher. I would say they are in it for the riddles and the hunting. Certainly not for the money as there is none in geocaching.

But there could be and people not usually geocaching might just need that for motivation to participate in a bitcoin treasure hunt.

Is there something like an online scavenger hunt?

What about a bitcoin competition where you pay for a starting fee, have to solve some cryptocurrency related tasks and get your fee back once you finish?

Yes, we should have an online BTC scavenger hunt on the Tor hidden web.
You can test out random 134j13io1i5hio13hio51ioh.onion links forever until you find a link to a bitcoin wallet ^_^
Tuxavant

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

Bitcoin Mayor of Las Vegas

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2012, 05:59:13 PM

I'm just catching up on some GREAT ideas in this thread... after a few minutes of pondering, I've come up with an advertising/coupon gimmick that merchants might pick up on... Effectively,

I post a coin4.me short URL for some free coins in some local geocaches - or even just QR codes in public places around the neighborhood that point to the same short URL.

This URL typically redirects to a query string that contains information about the bitcoin address so that the page can display the amount stored in the wallet. But I can also include a merchant code just as easy. The idea is that when the hunter finds the QR code/URL, they will get a message that says "you can spend these 2 bitcoins, worth $10 at Joes Pizza just around the corner. If someone already retrieved this money, mention Bitcoins for a 10% discount".

I'll have an agreement with the merchant to exchange the Bitcoins for cash (if they want, and at a discounted rate so I can kinda recover some of the money I front for the campaign).

That's what I'm thinking anyway.

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2012, 06:04:45 PM

I'm just catching up on some GREAT ideas in this thread... after a few minutes of pondering, I've come up with an advertising/coupon gimmick that merchants might pick up on... Effectively,

I post a coin4.me short URL for some free coins in some local geocaches - or even just QR codes in public places around the neighborhood that point to the same short URL.

This URL typically redirects to a query string that contains information about the bitcoin address so that the page can display the amount stored in the wallet. But I can also include a merchant code just as easy. The idea is that when the hunter finds the QR code/URL, they will get a message that says "you can spend these 2 bitcoins, worth $10 at Joes Pizza just around the corner. If someone already retrieved this money, mention Bitcoins for a 10% discount".

I'll have an agreement with the merchant to exchange the Bitcoins for cash (if they want, and at a discounted rate so I can kinda recover some of the money I front for the campaign).

Give me 10 years and I'll punch a whole in your stupid idea. Seriously, great thinking!

~Bruno~
Tuxavant

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2012, 06:06:37 PM

Give me 10 years and I'll punch a whole in your stupid idea. Seriously, great thinking!

~Bruno~

Haha! +1 4u

Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
March 22, 2012, 06:21:54 PM

Hm, is there a way besides sharing a complete private key to give someone the possibility to redeem let's say one BTC without having to trust any instawallet sites?

With private keys it might be the case that a not tech-savy user adds them to his wallet and then I also know that key - after that, just hope that the other one will transfer money to that account (especially likely if you do a vanity private key, that produces an address like "1caching12345abcde..."). With any other method I either have to be benevolent enough to still send one BTC to someone who finds that cache in 5 years (and I even need to be in possession of one BTC by that time!) or otherwise interact to get the money rolling.

I imagine something like a QR code leading to a "bitcoin://..." URL and the first one to scan this link only has to provide a bitcoin address and the 1 BTC that was taken from my account ages ago is on it's way to that address once the transaction that was generated via this has hit the network. Optionally it might be nice to be able to "decline" this gift and send the BTC back to an address set by me ages ago when I put it "in limbo".

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
Tuxavant

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2012, 11:20:56 PM

Hm, is there a way besides sharing a complete private key to give someone the possibility to redeem let's say one BTC without having to trust any instawallet sites?

I have no issue with trusting an established service like InstaWallet with a few dollars of Bitcoins. I keep track of the URLs to I can reclaim the Bitcoins if I need to. Private keys is easy to create, but difficult to access (currently). With an InstaWallet, it's pretty easy to see a balance and a send button - very intuitive for a noob.

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2012, 04:37:57 AM

Bitcoin: Use it like Groupon, but without the excessive fees.
pastory99

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 23, 2012, 05:27:50 AM

Doin well for the community Wink
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 24, 2012, 06:33:38 PM

Surely, it cant' be this simple! http://www.geocaching.com/brandedpromotions/default.aspx

Photo Contests

Geocachers are an incredibly creative — and a somewhat competitive — bunch. Marry a branded Trackable with a Photo Contest, and geocachers are capable of creating a wealth of valuable promotional content — content they share not only with other geocachers on Geocaching.com, but also with their extended networks on Facebook and other social networks. Examples of geocacher-created imagery from a recent Trackable Photo Contest are shown at right.

Casascius, where are you?

~Bruno~
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 25, 2012, 04:56:46 PM

Idea: Take a kid geocaching, and any bitcoins discovered goes to them.

Source: http://www.truepaganwarrior.com/2007/06/geocaching-for-fun-and-profit.html
The finding of the cache, seeing what's inside, and trading some of those items for ones we brought was neat. What made it a different kind of walk in the woods for me, though, was the kids. Holding the hand of a three-year-old on a somewhat rocky trail makes you look at the terrain in a very different way. She is completely trusting in your ability to keep her safe from harm as she improves her locomotive skills. It was a new way to experience the world through a child's eyes.

Kid: I'm bored!
Dad: What do you want to do?
Kid: I don't know.
Dad: You want to go treasure hunting?
Kid: YEA! How? Where?
Dad: By geocaching for bitcoins. Ready to go?
Kid: I bet I find more than you?
Dad: We'll see, son. We'll see.

I found my first bitcoin!
kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2012, 06:06:11 AM

Please go take a look at my post on geocaching.com related to bitcoins:

http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=294073

I hope to start hiding bitcoins in geocaches by next month.

Ciao!

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2012, 01:40:41 PM

Ciao!

Watching.
Spekulatius
Legendary

Activity: 1022

View Profile
April 16, 2012, 05:15:43 PM

Idea: Take a kid geocaching, and any bitcoins discovered goes to them.

Kid: I'm bored!
Dad: What do you want to do?
Kid: I don't know.
Dad: You want to go treasure hunting?
Kid: YEA! How? Where?
Dad: By geocaching for bitcoins. Ready to go?
Kid: WHAT? Huh
Dad: Yeah, I dont really know what that means either. Huh
Kid: Why did you say it then?
Dad: I dont know.
Kid: You are weird.
Dad: U are my son. Angry
Kid: Yeah, maybe. Angry
Dad: We'll see, son. We'll see.
kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2012, 05:46:54 PM

Ciao!

Watching.

Sad Looks like it got deleted...  I guess I must have posted in the wrong place. Or they didn't like the fact that my account has zero caches so far...

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.
Tuxavant

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2012, 05:51:21 PM

It was there. It got deleted. It seems Groundspeak doesn't like Bitcoins?

Tuxavant

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2012, 05:55:19 PM

Perhaps it was deleted under this TOS violation?  Grin

Source: http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules
9.  Commerciality and postings with a larger agenda: It is Groundspeak's desire to maintain forums for the purpose of promoting the activity of geocaching and location-based outdoor play.  We intend to limit forum discussions that promote commercial, social, political or charitable agendas as well as those which do not reasonably relate to the activity of geocaching and location-based outdoor play.

Threads or posts perceived to have been made with the intent of promoting any of the above agendas will not be permitted. Please note that our Volunteer Forum Moderators are authorized to exercise their discretion in providing some reasonable latitude for forum discussion postings relating to local events and issues in local discussion forums. Notwithstanding the above, Groundspeak reserves the right to include or permit the inclusion of limited commercial content in this forum, at its sole discretion.

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: