Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 03:24:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: apparently dead 5770 - newby casual mining fun  (Read 1626 times)
frograven (OP)

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 18, 2012, 07:36:19 AM

I've been mining for a few days with a second hand Radeon 5770 I got from Ebay to mess about with - with my electricity rates I'm strictly in break even territory, but it's been interesting.

Anyway my 5770 just stopped working - system just went off while I was using it.
Now the system won't boot, the system will start, fans (both system and Radeon) will spin up for a fraction of a second on power up then the whole PC will shut down.

PC runs fine using onboard graphics.

OS is Xubuntu, I've been overclocking a lot using "aticonfig", was running the system a bit hot for a few days (95c), but the last few days its been cooler and I've been running more stably (until it went splat), typically overclocked to 945.

PSU is a 430 watt Seasonic, but I was pulling about 220W at maximum work so I dont think I was overdoing it there.

The obvious thing is I've just overdone it with a cheap second hand video card - are such failures to be expected with 2 year old video cards being overclocked? Anyway, it was fun while it was lasted - but am I courting failure with ebay 2nd hand cards? Or or should I just not overclock them.

No smoke, smell or obviously damaged components on the board. Cooling was OK (had a few extra fans going).

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
legolouman

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

Decent Programmer to boot!

View Profile
March 18, 2012, 07:45:11 AM
Last edit: March 18, 2012, 08:10:11 AM by legolouman

I had a 5750 of mine do that. I did the same thing, over clocked it, and ran it hotish, with the fan high. My fan died not that long ago.

Did you check your fan? I'm willing to bet that the bearings went.

If it isn't the fan, then a VRM or something bad fried.

Running at 95 degrees is easy to do on a mid range card like that, the coolers aren't sufficient to the power they have. The Rule of thumb I've chosen to live by: Don't push the cards past 80 Degrees C.

You probably killed it.

Thanks to hongus for noticing that I missed the 95C temp.

If you love me, you'd give me a Satoshi!
BTC - 1MSzGKh5znbrcEF2qTrtrWBm4ydH5eT49f
LTC - LYeJrmYQQvt6gRQxrDz66XTwtkdodx9udz
hongus

Activity: 736
Merit: 100

Adoption Blockchain e-Commerce to World

View Profile
March 18, 2012, 07:55:57 AM

I don't think 95c is a very safe temp to run at, especially because you were OCing pretty hard. Not all eBay cards are bad, maybe you just had bad luck with one. If you're not good at fixing cards you can resell it on ebay or on these forums as a broken card, it won't go for as much but theres always someone willing to buy it.

legolouman

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

Decent Programmer to boot!

View Profile
March 18, 2012, 08:07:42 AM

I don't think 95c is a very safe temp to run at, especially because you were OCing pretty hard. Not all eBay cards are bad, maybe you just had bad luck with one. If you're not good at fixing cards you can resell it on ebay or on these forums as a broken card, it won't go for as much but theres always someone willing to buy it.

Oh my, that entirely slipped by me as I was reading it. I must edit my post to reflect that.

If you love me, you'd give me a Satoshi!
BTC - 1MSzGKh5znbrcEF2qTrtrWBm4ydH5eT49f
LTC - LYeJrmYQQvt6gRQxrDz66XTwtkdodx9udz
frograven (OP)

View Profile
March 18, 2012, 08:26:53 AM

Running at 95 degrees is easy to do on a mid range card like that, the coolers aren't sufficient to the power they have. The Rule of thumb I've chosen to live by: Don't push the cards past 80 Degrees C.

You probably killed it.

I was running it about 95 for a few days, then backed it down and it was wandering around in the low to mid 80s. But it also may have got much hotter for short periods while I was fiddling with it all.
Still that was quite interesting... and when I wasn't mining it was nice to have something that was OK for games (compared to what I'm used to). Now to keep an eye on ebay again, with my new found knowledge.

rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
March 18, 2012, 12:36:29 PM

You probably killed it.

I was running it about 95 for a few days, then backed it down and it was wandering around in the low to mid 80s. But it also may have got much hotter for short periods while I was fiddling with it all.
Still that was quite interesting... and when I wasn't mining it was nice to have something that was OK for games (compared to what I'm used to). Now to keep an eye on ebay again, with my new found knowledge.

Does the system boot if you just remove the card? It is unusual for a card failure to kill the entire system. Still sounds PSU-ish to me.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
frograven (OP)

View Profile
March 18, 2012, 09:41:28 PM

Does the system boot if you just remove the card? It is unusual for a card failure to kill the entire system. Still sounds PSU-ish to me.

yes, system is fine without the card. I will try the card in another PC when available  to eliminate the PSU as the problem.

silverbox
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 19, 2012, 03:43:16 PM

95C!!  When my cards get to 75C I downclock/reduce workload or add fans Smiley
frograven (OP)

View Profile
March 22, 2012, 02:55:06 PM

well I got back on the horse and purchased another 5770.. in fact I got 2 as the guy was selling both cheaper than one... and back mining at a conservative 71deg c..

When my 9MART pcie-x1 to x16 adapter arrives I'll upgrade my PSU and try this dual graphics card stuff.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: