Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 02:32:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Request For Designs: Bitcoin Client User Interface  (Read 8020 times)
mizerydearia (OP)

Activity: 574
Merit: 507

View Profile
August 03, 2010, 09:21:39 PM
Last edit: August 03, 2010, 10:06:59 PM by mizerydearia

I propose for the community to establish ideas and designs on how to present an implementation of a Bitcoin client.

For Bitcoin to establish successfully throughout the world there must be a variety of clients, each designed to satisfy to a particular market or community.

In my opinion, the primary, official client design is focused more on developing Bitcoin than to offer usability to satisfy expectancies of users.  And anyone in the community can and are encouraged to contribute to provide more and better clients.

Some ideas for clients/interfaces:
  • web browser extensions
  • web-based or site-specific (e.g. fb app)
  • software-specific plugins (e.g. pidgin)
  • pda, mobile phone

Existing clients: http://www.bitcoin.org/wiki/doku.php?id=bitcoin_clients

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jgarzik
Legendary
qt

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
August 03, 2010, 09:29:41 PM

Frankly, I think the official bitcoin client should be for more sophisticated users, and "average users" should be directed to user-friendly services like http://www.mybitcoin.com/ that do not require additional software to be installed.

IMO websites and existing browsers should be all one needs to fully participate in the bitcoin economy.

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
bytemaster

Activity: 770
Merit: 566

fractally

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2010, 03:00:56 AM

It depends on whether or not you want to rely on trusting a 3rd party.   mybitcoin.com would in theory have access to all private keys and thus could spend my money.  Where as a full local client is more secure. 

https://fractally.com - the next generation of decentralized autonomous organizations (DAOs).
jgarzik
Legendary
qt

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
August 05, 2010, 04:08:44 AM

It depends on whether or not you want to rely on trusting a 3rd party.   mybitcoin.com would in theory have access to all private keys and thus could spend my money.  Where as a full local client is more secure. 

That is an over-generalization.

For inexperienced "Aunt Tillie" users, www.my-bitcoin-site.com is far more likely to have given thought to encrypting and backing up the wallet.  A website is more likely to have a more intelligent bitcoin P2P firewall scheme in place.

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
BioMike
Legendary

Activity: 1658
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 05, 2010, 06:23:56 AM

Here in the Netherlands we have a system called iDEAL for online payments. I don't know the
details but it works like a bank transfer (the seller sends you to a specific site of the bank with a
receipt, you validate the payment at the site of the bank, bank sends confirmation of payment
to the seller, goods are shipped.) It works easy, quick and safe. You might want to check that
system and see how it could be adapted for BC use (browser plugin that shows the page and
reads the wallet?)
bitcoinex

Activity: 350
Merit: 252

probiwon.com

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2010, 12:52:45 PM

Here in the Netherlands we have a system called iDEAL for online payments. I don't know the
details but it works like a bank transfer (the seller sends you to a specific site of the bank with a
receipt, you validate the payment at the site of the bank, bank sends confirmation of payment
to the seller, goods are shipped.) It works easy, quick and safe. You might want to check that
system and see how it could be adapted for BC use (browser plugin that shows the page and
reads the wallet?)

<a href ='bitcoin:to="1ndy8897h4398374fhwsf98a7ssdf"'>

New bitcoin lottery: probiwon.com
- Moжeт, ты eщё и в Heвидимyю Pyкy Pынкa вepyeшь? - Зaчeм жe вepoвaть в тo, чтo мoжнo нaблюдaть нeпocpeдcтвeннo?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: