Bitcoin Forum
June 07, 2024, 06:35:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is there a peer-reviewed cryptocurrency journal? If not, should there be?  (Read 1836 times)
bigreddmachine (OP)

Activity: 193
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 12:33:39 PM

Hey everyone,

I realize that there have been previous posts regarding cryptocurrency papers, but I am not aware of anything being considered such as what I am about to ask.  If I am mistaken and there already is a movement related to my question, please redirect me and call it a day.  As for the reason for my post:

----------

It seems that every few weeks a new Whitepaper is released discussing some new Proof of [insert catchy word here] or some new feature for Bitcoin or other cryptocurrencies.  My struggle with these papers is that they are often biased or have holes in their arguments.

Additionally, it seems to be a struggle to find totally unbiased journalism regarding cryptocurrencies.

And so my question(s):
  • Is there an unbiased, peer-reviewed journal on Cryptocurrencies?
  • If not, would there be interest in one?
  • What ideas do you have for implementing such a journal?

I would be very interested in hearing people's thoughts.  I think it would be really nice to have a trustworthy, not for profit source of information that could be free of bias.  I would even be willing to be part of a group to start such a thing if there is interest.

Thanks,
BRM

PS: Please note, I have posted this question on /r/bitcoin as well.
Este Nuno
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

amarha

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 02:18:04 PM

That's a good suggestion and I'm surprised I hadn't seen it brought up before. With all the white papers flying around a good peer review process and an central depository where they can be published would be nice. Also people can publish their formal criticisms as well.

I think it would do the community some good to have something like this.
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2014, 02:26:55 PM

it would be a good idea to have such journal. but there should only be very good papers in it. and good ones are rare.

FrozenBit

Activity: 657
Merit: 102

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 03:49:46 PM

Peer reviewed already exists, it's simpler than you thought. What first needs to be realized is 90% of papers have paid for articles so if you don't like I suggest reading nothing but blogs. (Even then fiver exists to pay bloggers for stuff) This is an issue that really isn't an issue. It happens this day of age, media has always lied. Your smart enough to know that. So why are we acting like this is a huge scandal?

However, how anyone could mistake PRESS RELEASE vs straight fraud makes THEM the idiot. Let's get this straight; he mentions coindesk as untrustworthy. So now if you ever go to coindesk your a hypocrite etc.. Sticking with this logic, medium is a journalism platform THUS it's not to be trusted. Want to know the solutions? GOOGLE! It's really that easy, simply google what you want to know. That way you can form your own opinion.

The article is pretty shallow with evidence aswell. All he shows is emails, he never BOUGHT anything. Those emails wouldn't hold up in court. Enough said, innocent until proven guilty.
bigreddmachine (OP)

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 04:24:52 PM

Peer reviewed already exists, it's simpler than you thought. What first needs to be realized is 90% of papers have paid for articles so if you don't like I suggest reading nothing but blogs. (Even then fiver exists to pay bloggers for stuff) This is an issue that really isn't an issue. It happens this day of age, media has always lied. Your smart enough to know that. So why are we acting like this is a huge scandal?

However, how anyone could mistake PRESS RELEASE vs straight fraud makes THEM the idiot. Let's get this straight; he mentions coindesk as untrustworthy. So now if you ever go to coindesk your a hypocrite etc.. Sticking with this logic, medium is a journalism platform THUS it's not to be trusted. Want to know the solutions? GOOGLE! It's really that easy, simply google what you want to know. That way you can form your own opinion.

The article is pretty shallow with evidence aswell. All he shows is emails, he never BOUGHT anything. Those emails wouldn't hold up in court. Enough said, innocent until proven guilty.

I'm not sure I follow, or that you understood my request.  I am asking about an academic journal.

it would be a good idea to have such journal. but there should only be very good papers in it. and good ones are rare.

That's exactly why I bring up the topic. If there was a peer-reviewed academic journal which held papers to a more rigorous standard, many of the bad papers would be rejected and either improved or discarded.
arklan
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1008

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 05:33:13 PM

i'm no programmer or math wiz, but i'd absolutely like to see this exist. i'd be happy to help however i can. which given my background is probably not at all, but still!

i don't post much, but this space for rent.
cjcole8

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 08:32:49 PM

There are some bitcoin related papers that get published in peer reviewed sources.  Try searching for bitcoin in http://scholar.google.com.  Or even the IEEE search.  I think the best approach is to publish in locations already recognized and respected in the academic community.  Then start a new journal only once there is a a critical mass of papers are already being published in other peer reviewed sources.
Peter R
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 08:56:55 PM
Last edit: July 14, 2014, 09:11:04 PM by Peter R

I think there would be a demand for an academic journal like this (I'd like to propose the name J Bitcoin). It could be somewhat unorthodox in the sense that it would accept papers in all bitcoin-related fields (cryptography, economics, hardware engineering, etc).  But because of this, it would be something I may actually read it.  I think if we kept the quality high via a rigorous peer-review process, it may eventually establish itself as the journal for research regarding bitcoin.

Chris Wilmer volunteers to be an editor here, and I volunteer to donate 1 BTC if a credible plan to make this happen materializes here.  I've also received a few other messages from qualified people who are interested in contributing in one way or another.

I think three things need to come together (a website is the easy part):

1.  We need people with the right CVs on the Editorial Board.  I think we want a combination of recognized thought leaders in bitcoin, combined with PhD-types (especially with university connections).

2.  We need a diverse list of experts willing to review the submissions, and work with the authors to refine their arguments.

3.  We need a constant stream of high-quality submissions.  

All of these are easy to achieve if the journal is highly credible.  But it is these things that make it credible in the first place, so it's a chicken-and-egg problem.  

Perhaps this thread will help to further gauge interest and encourage additional discussion on the idea.

Run Bitcoin Unlimited (www.bitcoinunlimited.info)
Este Nuno
Legendary

amarha

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 09:05:18 PM

Surprise, surprise.

FrozenBit the king of shill accounts and shady marketing is defensive again. Shocking.

Roll Eyes
bitkoof

Activity: 68
Merit: 10

CoinDesker

View Profile WWW
July 15, 2014, 08:59:33 AM

How about the original, and best? https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
bigreddmachine (OP)

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 09:20:31 PM

How about the original, and best? https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf

It's a good paper.

My question was more prompted as a place to add legitimacy to all the new papers that come out.  It would be nice to hold these papers to a higher standard somehow.
opencryptocurrencyreview

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 13, 2014, 02:03:53 PM

Hi bigreddmachine

I've created something exactly suited to this purpose but neither have the time nor budget to advertise it so it's still 'hard to find' by anyone looking for it.

www.opencryptocurrencyreview.com

Please let me know what you think. It's not strictly a journal, but more of a place which collects research and then this research can be discussed without being lost in the dungeons of bitcointalk or reddit. It works on a voting system like reddit so the hope is that the good responses rise to the top.

Please can you help me advertise it. It's not for profit. It's purely to help the community discuss research ideas.

For example: here's a link to the Bitcoin whitepaper: http://www.opencryptocurrencyreview.com/papers/62/bitcoin-a-peer-to-peer-electronic-cash-system
Este Nuno
Legendary

amarha

View Profile
October 13, 2014, 02:32:55 PM

Hi bigreddmachine

I've created something exactly suited to this purpose but neither have the time nor budget to advertise it so it's still 'hard to find' by anyone looking for it.

www.opencryptocurrencyreview.com

Please let me know what you think. It's not strictly a journal, but more of a place which collects research and then this research can be discussed without being lost in the dungeons of bitcointalk or reddit. It works on a voting system like reddit so the hope is that the good responses rise to the top.

Please can you help me advertise it. It's not for profit. It's purely to help the community discuss research ideas.

For example: here's a link to the Bitcoin whitepaper: http://www.opencryptocurrencyreview.com/papers/62/bitcoin-a-peer-to-peer-electronic-cash-system

Very cool. I hope people see this and begin to use it. Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: