Bitcoin Forum
June 26, 2024, 11:09:43 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Going Forward, how should the units of bitcoin be denominated
Keep using BTC and fractions thereof - 11 (19.3%)
List in terms of satoshi - 10 (17.5%)
Use SI units - 10 (17.5%)
Use Bits - 24 (42.1%)
Something Else - 2 (3.5%)
Total Voters: 57

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Let's get the denominations of BTC straight  (Read 3044 times)
acs267

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 06:27:52 PM

How about this:

People use whatever they want to use. I don't use Satoshis, unless it's a Satoshi. I sometimes use Bits. Sometimes mBTC.
galbros
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 10:43:39 PM

This is a minor issue and needlessly confuses a lot of people.  I've gone to just using satoshi for up to one bitcent.  It is simple, everyone knows what I am talking about and for whatever reason zeros to the left of the decimal place with separators are easier for people to grasp than zeros to the right.

I'm all for people using whatever they want, but often the bit, m, and µ just confuses people.

Good Luck!
giveBTCpls

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 12:10:10 AM

From what i've gathered during my time here (1+ year) people just don't care to name bitcoin values beyond BTC and satoshi. Usually when there are like 2 or 3 0's (0.002 or 0.0002) they talk in terms of BTC, then when the amount of 0's become ridiculous they just say 2000 satoshi or what not. I have never seen anyone talking in terms of milibits in chats or whatever.

franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4256
Merit: 4533

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 12:10:48 AM

in england what we use for 100x the smallest denomination(penny) is:
quid
bin lid (cockney: bin lid~quid)
nicker
squid

but these are all local terms and social terms, the universal and international term is 'pound'

so although people will make up their own unique local favourite terms socially there still needs to be a universal term. and 'bit' seems to be the favourite for 100satoshi. yes there are a few nay sayers, so no need to push reply just to make yourselves known. this argument has gone on for 10 months now.. and its time you stop arguing about it and accept that many are saying yes to bit, or for you to invent  new term and start actually using it, rather then just saying no on a forum..

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 4680

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 12:25:21 AM

in england what we use for 100x the smallest denomination(penny) is:
quid
bin lid (cockney: bin lid~quid)
nicker
squid

but these are all local terms and social terms, the universal and international term is 'pound'

so although people will make up their own unique local favourite terms socially there still needs to be a universal term. and 'bit' seems to be the favourite for 100satoshi. yes there are a few nay sayers, so no need to push reply just to make yourselves known. this argument has gone on for 10 months now.. and its time you stop arguing about it and accept that many are saying yes to bit, or for you to invent  new term and start actually using it, rather then just saying no on a forum..

Your "bit" isn't any more "universal" or "international" than my "microbit".  They are both just popular nicknames, or as you call them "local terms and social terms".
Biodom
Legendary

Activity: 3794
Merit: 4005

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 01:19:01 AM

I think this is something that a lot of merchants are wondering. My site uses bits. I like that it allows for two decimal places if bitcoin go way up in value and will probably work well until we need to subdivide satoshi's further. What are your thoughts?

microbitcoins (or microbits, or mikes, or mickeys, or mics, or µbits, or µBTC, or µBitcoins, or you-bees, or youbits, or you-bee-tea-seas, or mu-bits, or mu-BTC, or mu-bitcoins, or bits, or whatever nickname you want to use) are a good choice. It's great that they allow two decimal places and that most of the digits are to the left of the decimal point where a separator such as a comma can be used to improve visual clarity.

I'm just a bit confused why people like the nickname "bits" for microbitcoins?

It seems confusing and misleading.  Bits?  Is that regular bits (Bitcoins), or millibits (millibitcoins), or microbits (microbitcoins)?

I say, stick with the a representation where 1 satoshi is 0.01, but use a nickname for microbitcoins that is less confusing and misleading than "bits".

Note:  I can't believe we're having this discussion yet again.  This has to be the 15th poll I've seen just on this site about this issue, and the 50th time I've seen discussions about it.  I'd think that by now people would realize that there is no official organization that can decree what the name will be.  Everyone is going to use whatever the heck name they want.  There will be some confusion for a while, and eventually popular nicknames will form organically just like they do with everything else in life.  There was no official organization that declared that dollars should be called "bucks", and yet we all understand when someone says, "that'll be 6 bucks".

because either some company (cough-bitpay-cough) or some hot headed users decided that they will ram "bits" down everybody's throats, but as numbers here are showing, only 37% are happy about it.
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 03:03:54 AM

Well personally, I like bits for microbitcoins because I think it is easy to say, short,
and will catch on well in mainstream society...and because of unit bias , we want
a relatively small unit...plus the fact that there's 2 decimal places after it
normalizes it...not to mention it makes sense in terms of "a bit" meaning
just a small amount of something.

DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 03:10:11 AM

Well personally, I like bits for microbitcoins because I think it is easy to say, short,

There are a lot of words that are short and easy to say.  Personally, I find that many of them are better choices than "bits".

and will catch on well in mainstream society

I hope you're wrong about this, but I suspect you're probably right.  Time will tell.

...and because of unit bias , we want
normalizes it...

This is a false argument.  It doesn't matter what nickname you use for microbitcoins, you'll still have "a relatively small unit" and "2 decimal places after it".  There is nothing intrinsic about the word "bits" that makes it any smaller of a unit or any different a number of decimals than any other nickname you might choose.

not to mention it makes sense in terms of "a bit" meaning

I disagree here, since a satoshi is a smaller amount.  "Bits" are 100 satoshi, that seems like more than "a small amount".
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 03:24:58 AM

There are a lot of words that are short and easy to say.  Personally, I find that many of them are better choices than "bits".

and will catch on well in mainstream society

I hope you're wrong about this, but I suspect you're probably right.  Time will tell.

...and because of unit bias , we want
normalizes it...

This is a false argument.  It doesn't matter what nickname you use for microbitcoins, you'll still have "a relatively small unit" and "2 decimal places after it".  There is nothing intrinsic about the word "bits" that makes it any smaller of a unit or any different a number of decimals than any other nickname you might choose.

not to mention it makes sense in terms of "a bit" meaning

I disagree here, since a satoshi is a smaller amount.  "Bits" are 100 satoshi, that seems like more than "a small amount".

Well, I'd say its more of an opinion than a strong argument.

You said you didn't understand why people like it.
I'm telling you why I like it, and keep in mind the
reasons why people like stuff aren't always perfectly
logical.

I notice you gave a lot of options but didn't specify
your own personal preference.  If you DON'T
like bits, feel free to tell us what's a better
option and why you like it.

zebedee
Donator

Activity: 668

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 08:33:40 AM

Clearly we should call 1 millionth of a bitcoin a "buck", because we all know it's gonna happen.
carlaonfire

Activity: 214
Merit: 100

BTC Enthusiast - LuckyBit moderator

View Profile WWW
July 15, 2014, 09:37:23 AM

I skip the "bits" and go BTC, mbtc (millibitcoin) and satoshi.

Skip the clones, play the best! | LuckyBit | The original falling coin game | Secure - Fair - Instant
Community information page | Official Faucet | Affiliate Campaign | Twitter Campaign | Make Your Own Game! |
YesBoss69

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 10:00:08 AM

This is definitely easier to deal with for sure. jesus how will regular people ever get a handle on 8 decimal places, thats what I wanna know!
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 02:03:48 PM

Clearly we should call 1 millionth of a bitcoin a "buck", because we all know it's gonna happen.

While I hadn't considered it in the past, I really I like this suggestion.  We can only hope you're right.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4256
Merit: 4533

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 02:25:48 PM

While I hadn't considered it in the past, I really I like this suggestion.  We can only hope you're right.

so in a conversation someon says can i hav a buck.. they would hand you a dollar or 100 satoshis?HuhHuhHuh?

buck is confusing when talking about finance.. plus its american.. so let me guess the brits will call it a quid, the chinese will call it a yen, and the russians will call it a ruble....

buck is for the fiat market. so leave it for the fiat market

i think your stuck in the mindset that micro-bit (2 separate words) will make people think when you say bit, then later someone says "micro-bit", that people will get confused that a microbit is smaller then a bit..

how about imagine microbit did not exist and we just used sats, bits, bitcoin, no micro's at all... case solved

a bit is not a whole bitcoin. whomever made up the word "microbit" has no concept.. of logic. its microbitcoin or microbtc so stop using the term microbit as it doesnt roll over the tongue and a bitcoin is not bit. so again there is no microbit.

if you want to describe a division of bitcoin use microbitcoin or microbtc not microbit. as i think that is where your getting stuck, due to the word microbit that is confusing the whole thing.

again
bit is not a whole bitcoin, there is no such thing as a microbit

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 02:39:51 PM

While I hadn't considered it in the past, I really I like this suggestion.  We can only hope you're right.

so in a conversation someon says can i hav a buck.. they would hand you a dollar or 100 satoshis?HuhHuhHuh?

buck is confusing when talking about finance.. plus its american.. so let me guess the brits will call it a quid, the chinese will call it a yen, and the russians will call it a ruble....

buck is for the fiat market. so leave it for the fiat market

Nah, "buck" will only be used for a microbit if bitcoin becomes so popular that it becomes the dominant currency used in the U.S.  People will stop using "buck" to refer to the U.S. dollar if the value of 1 USD drops low enough, just like they already stopped using "bit" to refer to 12.5 cents.  If you are concerned about confusion between a bitcoin "buck" and the U.S. currency "buck", then why aren't you concerned about confusion between a bitcoin "bit" and the U.S. currency "bit".  To paraphrase you, "so in a conversation someon says can i hav 2 bits.. they would hand you a quarter or 200 satoshis?HuhHuhHuh?"

again
bit is not a whole bitcoin, there is no such thing as a microbit

There is no such thing as a "bit" (in terms of bitcoin values) either.  They are both just nicknames for the exact same value.
Mowcore

Activity: 592

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 02:59:44 PM

Sorry, saying buck just doesn't work with me. It would have to be Quid but then that just stirs up another pot of shit stew lol.

Humble Weekly Bundle.Pay What You Want. Redeem on Steam. Support charity. Pay with BTCitcoin now!--> Paypal Sad
HeliKopterBen

Activity: 622

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 04:21:07 PM

This will naturally evolve over time.  We can't force it.  So far it looks like general consensus will gravitate towards bit, denominated as 1/1,000,000th of a bitcoin.  Coinbase has recently given users a choice to denominate their accounts in bits.

If you really want to enact change, start using the term bit(s) in everything you say and write.  Whether speaking person to person or commenting on here, reddit, yahoo news, or any other platform, reference price in terms of bits instead of bitcoins, especially when others in the conversation are referencing bitcoins.  For example, when someone asks you what the price of bitcoin is, say "The current price is 0.0625 cents per bit".  This will seem a bit awkward at first and people may look at you funny, but eventually it will catch on and become more natural to reference bits instead of bitcoin and other people will follow suit.

Counterfeit:  made in imitation of something else with intent to deceive:  merriam-webster
carlaonfire

Activity: 214
Merit: 100

BTC Enthusiast - LuckyBit moderator

View Profile WWW
July 15, 2014, 05:30:21 PM

This is definitely easier to deal with for sure. jesus how will regular people ever get a handle on 8 decimal places, thats what I wanna know!

It'll be a challenge for sure... besides i think the "satoshi" name is quite friendly Smiley

Skip the clones, play the best! | LuckyBit | The original falling coin game | Secure - Fair - Instant
Community information page | Official Faucet | Affiliate Campaign | Twitter Campaign | Make Your Own Game! |
phillipsjk
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001

Let the chips fall where they may.

View Profile WWW
July 15, 2014, 05:47:00 PM

I don't think skipping the 1µBTC denomination is a good idea. I just prefer  "mikes" as the short-form.

"Mills" are already used as a short-form for 1/1000th of a currency unit. Such units are not seem much outside of property tax rates though.

James' OpenPGP public key fingerprint: EB14 9E5B F80C 1F2D 3EBE  0A2F B3DE 81FF 7B9D 5160
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1464
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
July 16, 2014, 12:29:16 AM

How about 4 denominations, each with its own Unicode character? Formal names vs colloquial names need some work...here's a vague scheme (with approximated glyphs)

B⃦*,BITCOIN SIGN, value: 1 bitcoin
₥ BITCOIN MILLIBITCOIN SIGN, value: 0.001 bitcoins
ƀ BITCOIN BIT SIGN, value 0.001 millibitcoins
s̸ or s⃫, BITCOIN BITCENT SIGN, value 0.01 bits

B⃦*(similar to ฿ with two vertical bars for those with old browsers)

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: