Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 12:37:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Are Physical Coins a good investment?  (Read 1929 times)
jcoin200 (OP)

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 03:25:40 PM

I've been looking at investing in physical BTC coins for a little while now, but I wondered if they are the best bet.  Heres what I was thinking:

For example : You buy a 1BTC physical coin for 1BTC (the funded value) + a premium, say $300.  So right now you'd pay about 1.48BTC.

Then if BTC value goes up to say $750, the coin would only be worth 1.4BTC, and less if BTC goes higher.

So my question is, is it better to just hold BTC rather than physical coins?  Assuming the coin gains some collectors value, it would have to gain a lot in my opinion to keep with with any rise in BTC.  Any thoughts?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
C10H15N

Activity: 811
Merit: 1004

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 03:32:02 PM

A physical coin with an intact hologram will not only have the underlying bitcoin value, but also the collectable value of that physical bitcoin with an intact hologram.  Make sense? 

Only when the tide goes out do you discover who's been swimming naked. -Warren Buffett
jcoin200 (OP)

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 03:38:01 PM

A physical coin with an intact hologram will not only have the underlying bitcoin value, but also the collectable value of that physical bitcoin with an intact hologram.  Make sense? 

Yes I get that, I'm just wondering if they are as good of an investment as straight BTC.  Because if BTC were to rise, the "collectors value" would have to rise too to match the rise in BTC value.  If it didn't the coin would be worth less in BTC.
C10H15N

Activity: 811

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 03:41:38 PM

An intact physical bitcoin should never be worth less than the underlying bitcoin. 

Only when the tide goes out do you discover who's been swimming naked. -Warren Buffett
jcoin200 (OP)

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 03:45:50 PM

An intact physical bitcoin should never be worth less than the underlying bitcoin.  

Yes again I realize 1BTC will always equal 1BTC. But say you buy a Casascius 1BTC which carries a $400 premium in addition to the 1BTC funded value, would you of been better off to just hold the $400 worth of BTC, rather than put it into the collectors value of the coin?  Cause if BTC goes up, then that $400 extra you paid for the coin would be worth less in BTC.  Same in $ value per say, but less in BTC.  See what I'm getting at?
Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 03:56:08 PM

Yes I get that, I'm just wondering if they are as good of an investment as straight BTC.  Because if BTC were to rise, the "collectors value" would have to rise too to match the rise in BTC value.  If it didn't the coin would be worth less in BTC.

It's an open question. Some think the numismatic value will effectively remain denominated in btc as bitcoin value rises, others think more so in fiat. To give some "historical" perspective, IIRC, we had tiny btc premiums in 2012, then the boom in btc popularity in spring 2013 boosted premiums significantly (toward 1.5x-2x for a 1BTC Series-2 Casascius coin). The lull over summer/fall 2013 dropped premiums down (1.25x-1.5x), but nowhere near pre-spring2013. Then the run-up in November boosted premiums again (back toward 2x), and now they're down a bit again...

NOTE: I'm only talking about Casascius coins. Others are far less "iconic", so I don't see much sense in discussion their numismatic appeal (seems a lot less likely to hold long-term, IMO). The story of Casascius coins tracks bitcoin very nicely; from inception as a conversation piece to production-termination due to regulatory aggression... It takes that sort of history to create lasting numismatic value. Fundamentally, "collector value" makes no practical sense; it's our human nature in seeking ties to the past and continuity (and therefore mementos) that drive it.

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
Melbustus
Legendary

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 04:00:53 PM

Arguments against btc-denominated premiums:
1) People think in fiat.

Arguments for sustained btc-denominated premiums:
1) People will think in btc when dealing with btc assets.
2) Premiums on many gold/silver bullion coins are enormous. There are hundreds of different issue pre-1933 gold and silver coins that trade for *many* multiples of their bullion/melt value.
3) There aren't many Casascius coins in existence. Especially compared to the surviving populations of gold and silver coins that still maintain bullion-premiums of many multiples.

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
jcoin200 (OP)

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 04:11:29 PM

It's an open question. Some think the numismatic value will effectively remain denominated in btc as bitcoin value rises, others think more so in fiat. To give some "historical" perspective, IIRC, we had tiny btc premiums in 2012, then the boom in btc popularity in spring 2013 boosted premiums significantly (toward 1.5x-2x for a 1BTC Series-2 Casascius coin). The lull over summer/fall 2013 dropped premiums down (1.25x-1.5x), but nowhere near pre-spring2013. Then the run-up in November boosted premiums again (back toward 2x), and now they're down a bit again...

NOTE: I'm only talking about Casascius coins. Others are far less "iconic", so I don't see much sense in discussion their numismatic appeal (seems a lot less likely to hold long-term, IMO). The story of Casascius coins tracks bitcoin very nicely; from inception as a conversation piece to production-termination due to regulatory aggression... It takes that sort of history to create lasting numismatic value. Fundamentally, "collector value" makes no practical sense; it's our human nature in seeking ties to the past and continuity (and therefore mementos) that drive it.

Thank you, this is what I was wondering, if they have a history of keeping their premium in BTC value, not the equiv fiat value.  It seems you are right, going with a Casascius will probably be a good bet long term, while the lesser known coins probably not so much.  Thanks for the insight!
djjacket

Activity: 784
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 04:42:48 PM

Very good explanation.  Numismatic appeal and demand comes from many factors - condition, appeal, rarity, history.  IMO the taking into these factors, the best investment would be High Grade ANACS slabbed Casascius coins.  The history of the coins is well documented.  The ANACS grading standardizes the condition and preserves the condition.  The original 2011 coin in a pristine condition is not an easy find considering the value at the time they were produced.  They were developed as a novelty and way to bring attention to bitcoin.  Many of those early coins probably did not get stored properly to maintain the original condition.
Melbustus
Legendary

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 04:45:16 PM

... Many of those early coins probably did not get stored properly to maintain the original condition.

Definitely not. I used to carry a couple around unprotected in my pocket and pass 'em around.

giveBTCpls

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 11:44:56 PM

If Bitcoin goes mainstream, physical coins would be a really legit investment because of collectible and rarity value. Like I see it being exposed in a museum in 50 years as something curious to see.

chennan
Legendary

Activity: 1316

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 03:14:55 AM

There are many physical bitcoind that can be easily made. They are not special and unique that will make sure its value appreciate as the time is going by. It is not worth to pay premium to buy it rather than just holding bitcoin.

Mieehayii

Activity: 490

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 07:13:54 AM

One way, you can do day trade, buy low and sell high, but the trend needs to constantly stare

███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀███▀████
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▀▄█████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▄█▄▀████

███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▀▀▀████████▀▀▀██▀▀▀███████████▀▀▀██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████▀▀▀█████
███          ▀███   ████████   ██    ▀█████████   ██           ▀████   █████
███   █████▄   ██   ████████   ██      ▀███████   ██   ██████▄   ███   █████
███   ██████   ██   ████████   ██   █▄   ▀█████   ██   ████████   ██   █████
███   █████▀   ██   ████████   ██   ███▄   ▀███   ██   ████████   ██   █████
███          ▄███   ▀██████▀   ██   █████▄   ▀█   ██   ███████▀   ██   █████
███   ▄▄▄▄▄███████   ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ███   ███████▄      ██   ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▄███   █████
███   █████████████▄        ▄████   █████████▄    ██        ▄▄▄█████   █████
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
.Any Store Can Buy, Sell and Accept Cryptocurrency.██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
[[[ Whitepaper    Twitter     Facebook]]]
[[[  Telegram      Medium     Youtube ]]]
Rub3n

Activity: 563
Merit: 501

S> Cheap SocialMedia Hype's

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2014, 01:41:25 AM

Yes again I realize 1BTC will always equal 1BTC. But say you buy a Casascius 1BTC which carries a $400 premium in addition to the 1BTC funded value, would you of been better off to just hold the $400 worth of BTC, rather than put it into the collectors value of the coin?  Cause if BTC goes up, then that $400 extra you paid for the coin would be worth less in BTC.  Same in $ value per say, but less in BTC.  See what I'm getting at?

I think it's personal preference. However I also think digital will get you the most money. Imagine btc going to 50 usd. A 400 usd 1 btc coin is then a lot less interesting.

TookDk
Legendary

Activity: 1960
Merit: 1062

One coin to rule them all

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2014, 06:58:28 PM

I think it's personal preference. However I also think digital will get you the most money. Imagine btc going to 50 usd. A 400 usd 1 btc coin is then a lot less interesting.

The coin would be worth nine time the face value in terms of bitcoin, in your described scenario.

Cryptography is one of the few things you can truly trust.
polynesia
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 01:10:09 AM

It also depends on how many physical coins are made ('rarity' factor).
If a manufacturer floods the market with physical coins as BTC prices move up, then the premium will not move up proportionately.
Brewins
Legendary

Activity: 1120

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 06:55:15 AM

Its like investing in silver artwork and special edition coins. They are sold by more they face or silver value, and may or may not be worth much more in the future.

I don't know much about this market, but I think the bitcoin market is in some sense more risky, because we have less previous cases for us to analyze, and less risky, because we can count on bitcoin's history of valuation over years.

polynesia
Legendary

Activity: 1358

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 03:46:25 PM

Its like investing in silver artwork and special edition coins. They are sold by more they face or silver value, and may or may not be worth much more in the future.

I don't know much about this market, but I think the bitcoin market is in some sense more risky, because we have less previous cases for us to analyze, and less risky, because we can count on bitcoin's history of valuation over years.

You even have physical coins made out of gold these days.  Roll Eyes

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ericxlmu/2014/07/21/chinese-bitcoiner-made-physical-bitcoin-in-pure-gold/
TookDk
Legendary

Activity: 1960
Merit: 1062

One coin to rule them all

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2014, 04:19:00 PM

You even have physical coins made out of gold these days.  Roll Eyes

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ericxlmu/2014/07/21/chinese-bitcoiner-made-physical-bitcoin-in-pure-gold/

lolz, you are funny  Cheesy

Mike made a 1000 BTC, 1 Oz Solid Gold back in in 2011:
http://casascius.uberbills.com/?address=1Au1uZnK87eUMoJKRL9S3wroM29AiUQtL5

Cryptography is one of the few things you can truly trust.
redwhitenblue

Activity: 104
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 06:58:22 PM

I would say that physical coins would be a horrible investment as you do not have the ability to send the coins around the world for $0.06 US. If anything the coins would probably trade at a discount to what is on them as you would have an elevated risk of theft.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: