Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 09:23:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The Deathblow to Proof of Stake  (Read 7861 times)
devphp

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 03:06:49 PM

A lot of discussion is specifically about NXT.

Is there any difference in NXT's PoS implementation vs most of these new altcoins with PoS?

NXT's implementation is unique, except if those new altcoins are clones of NXT (NFD, NAS).
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
illodin

Activity: 966
Merit: 1003

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 03:07:10 PM

A lot of discussion is specifically about NXT.

Is there any difference in NXT's PoS implementation vs most of these new altcoins with PoS?

BlackCoin has PoS 2.0:

• Coin Age will no longer be a factor to generate Proof-of-Stake interest. There is a need for more nodes online and staking. More staking nodes will also speed up the BlackCoin network and transaction time. Do keep in mind the staking rewards are not affected by this change.
  • The stake modifier will be changed at every modifier interval
  • Further blockchain timestamp changes will be made to avoid Proof-of-Stake blocks from orphaning.
  • BlackCoin will no longer be using the Scrypt algorithm for its Proof-of-Stake phase, and will revert back to SHA-256D. Using Scrypt offers no real advantages , and is in fact slower compared to some of the other alternatives.
lynn_402

Activity: 462
Merit: 253

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 03:50:19 PM

POS in general is secure as they stake holders are if they are stupid and keep 1/3 of all coin at one place they can suffer like VRC..
If they are smarter like PPC they wont have such problem.

Here even didn't see any blow in POS security becouse attacked have to know how attack coin...

Here was panic fear of dumping 8m coin on market nothing more...
if they wanted  secure network they could do it other way.

PPC also has the advantage that, because it is older, distribution is considerably better. Which means that it's very unlikely that a single exchange would have a big percentage of all coins.
mczarnek

Activity: 527
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 03:56:56 PM

You don't need 51% of the coins just 51% of the active stake.  In no currency can 100% of the money supply be used for minting.  If it was then the currency couldn't be used for anything else.

I'm talking Nxt, because I know Nxt.

First of all, I believe Nxt has ~30% of the stake currently forging, so you're talking more like 15% of the stake needed.  New tools coming out and coinbase like wallets that could forge for people and pay them interest and leased forging(like pooled mining), as well as increased wallet security coming soon should increase this in the future.

It is estimated that an attack against Bitcoin would cost $1.15 billion. (http://www.coinometrics.com/bitcoin/brix)

Bitcoin also has a market cap of $ 8,133,288,923 meaning that a 15% attack against Bitcoin would be $1,219,993,338.45, so similar costs.

BUT Nxt's is maintainable.. next time Bitcoin halves, miner's will have to drop off the network.  Transaction fees simply can't support the miners.  Afterall, Nxt will have very low transaction fees, it is currently surviving off of 1 Nxt transaction fee, which is to be lowered, while even Gavin is predicting that the current fee should be $0.41.. once the inflation halves, Bitcoin is in trouble.  Nxt on the other hand can currently survive with $0.05 transaction fees, to be lowered as Nxt grows. Meaning Nxt's security and fees will go up, Bitcoin will go down.

For PoS attacks you need currency units of the network you intend to attack. If you succeed, you diminish the value of the owned currency units - estimatively by vast amounts; there's no reuse for different networks.

No you need to have currency units in the PAST.  That is the basis for the nothing at stake problem.

Say the active stake is 10% of the money supply.
In block X I have >5% of the money supply.
In block X+1 I sell my coins. 
By x+10 the transaction is confirmed the new owner(s) have the coins.

I now have NOTHING as in nothing at stake.
I can still re-org the network by building an alternate chain back at block x when I did have the majority of the stake.   It doesn't cost me anything to try, there is nothing I can lose in the process.  I am using not coins but the history of coins I once had to perform the attack.

Few things preventing it:
- If the network network sees you double forging on different forks, it will ban you for 1440 blocks.  Good luck performing such an attack when you can't write to multiple chains.  This means that you do indeed need to own 51% of the forging power.
-This need to take place with 720 blocks, at which point the network essentially agrees to a decentralized checkpoint.
-Economic Clustering, Nxt intends to make sure that transactions happen with a given 'Economic Cluster' which basically means that when you sell your Nxt you and the person buying your Nxt agree to which fork you are selling your Nxt on.  The more Nxt transferred on a given fork, the stronger that fork is.  If you transfer 15% of all Nxt, you need to pick which chain it is being transferred on, and therefore make that chain valid with that choice.  People buying your Nxt won't be willing to buy that much without pinning it to a specific chain.  Your new chain will not have that many transactions pinned to it.

Also, if you decided to cash out 15% of Bitcoin within about 10 hours.. you would crash the price down to zero.. meaning you do do a lot of damage by cashing out that much there too.  To the point that you might kill it.

BitSend ◢◤Clients | Source
www.bitsend.info
█▄
█████▄
████████▄
███████████▄
██████████████
███████████▀
████████▀
█████▀
█▀

Segwit | Core 0.14 | Masternodes
XEVAN | DK3 | Electrum soon
Bitcore - BTX/BTC -Project

BSD -USDT | Bittrex | C.Gather | S.Exchange
Cryptopia | NovaExchange | Livecoin
Litebit.eu | Faucet | Bitsend Airdrop

████
 ████
  ████
   ████
    ████
     ████
      ████
       ████
        ████
       ████
      ████
     ████
    ████
   ████
  ████
 ████
████

████
 ████
  ████
   ████
    ████
     ████
      ████
       ████
        ████
       ████
      ████
     ████
    ████
   ████
  ████
 ████
████
devphp

Activity: 336

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 04:02:48 PM

First of all, I believe Nxt has ~30% of the stake currently forging

Where did you get that number?

What does Total Balance under More info in the NRS Version section on the dashboard mean?
atc1

Activity: 308

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 04:16:14 PM

The problem is hardly with PoS. Think about what would have happened if it were PoW instead. It would all have been stolen,as in lost. Mintpal's security and the decision of the developer of one coin cannot be extrapolated to the whole system. The other PoS coins are doing just fine.

Brilliantrocket

Activity: 826

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 04:19:49 PM

The problem is hardly with PoS. Think about what would have happened if it were PoW instead. It would all have been stolen,as in lost. Mintpal's security and the decision of the developer of one coin cannot be extrapolated to the whole system. The other PoS coins are doing just fine.
Correct, but the integrity of the blockchain wouldn't be at a massive risk of compromise, as it was (is?) here.
EvilDave

Activity: 854
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 05:09:20 PM

also I think we need a lot of time to get to pure PoS as mainstream
maybe 5-10 years months

Fixed that for ya.....NXT is rolling up hard.

Nulli Dei, nulli Reges, solum NXT
Love your money: www.nxt.org  www.ardorplatform.org
www.nxter.org  www.nxtfoundation.org
Propulsion (OP)

Activity: 658

The Buck Stops Here.

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 05:13:37 PM

Not really though. A huge problem with PoS is when the currency is still in it's infancy. A lot of coins are left in exchanges instead of being staked.

In reality, when the coin is so young, it makes it very easy to create a new chain.

Here is another PoS currency that just fell susceptible to a malicious attack.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=679791.msg7859494#msg7859494
ChuckOne

Activity: 364

☕ NXT-4BTE-8Y4K-CDS2-6TB82

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 07:31:30 PM

For PoS attacks you need currency units of the network you intend to attack. If you succeed, you diminish the value of the owned currency units - estimatively by vast amounts; there's no reuse for different networks.

No you need to have currency units in the PAST.  That is the basis for the nothing at stake problem.

Say the active stake is 10% of the money supply.
In block X I have >5% of the money supply.
In block X+1 I sell my coins.  
By x+10 the transaction is confirmed the new owner(s) have the coins.

I now have NOTHING as in nothing at stake.
I can still re-org the network by building an alternate chain back at block x when I did have the majority of the stake.   It doesn't cost me anything to try, there is nothing I can lose in the process.  I am using not coins but the history of coins I once had to perform the attack.

Rolling and internal checkpoints will make your attack infeasible.
Zer0Sum
Legendary

Activity: 1588
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 07:41:21 PM

As usual, no one can think outside the little Crypto Box.

The problem is not coins or PoW vs Pos...
Problem = people FORCED TO CENTRALIZE millions of coins on amateur DODGY exchanges.

If the NYSE puts 30% of Apple stock outside on the street and it's stolen...
It says NOTHING about the safety of Apple Inc or Apple stock certificates.
Brangdon

Activity: 365
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 07:44:47 PM

No you need to have currency units in the PAST.  That is the basis for the nothing at stake problem.
No, that's not what "Nothing at stake" means. What you are describing is a history attack. It's a different kind of vulnerability. I described how Nxt currently mitigates it a few posts earlier, in #67.

You don't need 51% of the coins just 51% of the active stake.  In no currency can 100% of the money supply be used for minting.  If it was then the currency couldn't be used for anything else.
The value used for forging can be very close to 100%, though. In Nxt, when you transfer coins you have to wait a day before you forge with them, but all the coins you didn't transfer can continue to forge. I get the impression you think coins used for forging are somehow locked up, like in a special account. That doesn't happen. If you get paid 1000 NXT salary at the start of the month, you'll be forging with that money every day after the first. If you spend 30 NXT/day on living expenses, after 15 days you'll have half your money left, and will be forging with it. Most of the money you've paid to other people will probably be sitting in their accounts for more than a day, so will be forging for them. Most of the coins can, and probably will, be forging for whoever owns them.

Bitcoin: 1BrangfWu2YGJ8W6xNM7u66K4YNj2mie3t Nxt: NXT-XZQ9-GRW7-7STD-ES4DB
XbladeX
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 08:39:36 PM

POS in general is secure as they stake holders are if they are stupid and keep 1/3 of all coin at one place they can suffer like VRC..
If they are smarter like PPC they wont have such problem.

Here even didn't see any blow in POS security becouse attacked have to know how attack coin...

Here was panic fear of dumping 8m coin on market nothing more...
if they wanted  secure network they could do it other way.

PPC also has the advantage that, because it is older, distribution is considerably better. Which means that it's very unlikely that a single exchange would have a big percentage of all coins.
I agree with that but there i many factors that prevent many POS attacks.
POS is as secure as they owners are here is great justice of POS system
there is chart for POS coins noded but it talks a bit about communities and how they secure network at the end:
http://bitinfocharts.com/pl/comparison/nodes-ppc-bc-xc-vrc-nvc.html

Ass you see over time stacking is not so secure and people are stacking less i hope muiltisign feature some kind of 2FA in cryto will help solve that problem.
This is currently implemented in BitHalo/BlackHalo ( David Zimbeck creator ) but it will be open source in future, Blackcoin POS can stake using that multisign
this is great step in securing stacking process.

This is something like that you have 2 kays: one key on phone (or PC, server ext) 2nd on PC, to send receive you need both keys that will increase security lvl of staking nodes.
Education of holders is also important. to not let situation like that 1/3 of all supply on one exchange this is situation where you are looking for trouble.

Request / 26th September / 2022 APP-06-22-4587
bobtlk

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 08:57:53 PM

How do you generate POS with Peer Coin? I tried the walletpasshphrase <password> 99999,9 but nothing happened. Does Peer Coin need a different command? Sorry to stalk the thread for this but thought someone here may know? Thanks.
hicaribou

Activity: 815
Merit: 502

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 02:34:34 AM

How do you generate POS with Peer Coin? I tried the walletpasshphrase <password> 99999,9 but nothing happened. Does Peer Coin need a different command? Sorry to stalk the thread for this but thought someone here may know? Thanks.

Do you mean Peercoin PoS minting? Try this: walletpassphrase "your password or passphrase" 99999 true
darkota

Activity: 770

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 02:47:02 AM

Navajocoin, a PoS coin, was recently attacked and two doublespends occured from the attacker gaining over 30% of all coins. Pos really is Piece of Shit...
XbladeX
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 05:42:19 AM

Navajocoin, a PoS coin, was recently attacked and two doublespends occured from the attacker gaining over 30% of all coins. Pos really is Piece of Shit...

But POW coin can suffer the same...
http://www.coinwarz.com/cryptocurrency?sort=hashrate&dir=asc <===
as you see having 300hm+ (one single KNC titan can make attack on 50+ coins... )...
So POW Prof of Weak is not ultimate solution here too Shitcoins like lotto, leaf...

Today when 7day minig is popular and 95% of new coin are on exchanges like VRC (1/3) of all on 1 exchange POS networks are not secure the same goes to POW...
If someone will hack ghash.io and make 51% BTC will surfer too.

In POS OWNERS take responsibility for secure network if they fail their coin fail.
In POS people have greater motivation to protect network than POW,In POW one super computer/ASIC can make big mess.
Mayby only BTC,LTC,Doge is hard to attack rest is not secure too much...

Request / 26th September / 2022 APP-06-22-4587
LeChatNoir

Activity: 699
Merit: 501

Coinpanion.io - Copy Successful Crypto Traders

View Profile WWW
July 16, 2014, 07:21:58 AM

Do you mean Peercoin PoS minting? Try this: walletpassphrase "your password or passphrase" 99999 true

This!
And after that you will have to wait a few minutes before the GUI displays the wallet is unlocked and forging.

Coinpanion.io - Copy Successful Crypto Traders
cwb27

Activity: 148
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 07:25:30 AM

if pos so good, why is litecoin still second. take that
superresistant
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1120

View Profile