Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 12:36:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [2014-07-14] Bitcoins and Gravy: Ohio's Bitcoin Boulevard!  (Read 990 times)
coinneo (OP)

Activity: 46
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2014, 11:11:24 PM

http://letstalkbitcoin.com/blog/post/episode-24-ohios-bitcoin-boulevard

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 12:06:49 AM

Congrats on the success of Bitcoin Boulevard.
Here is an idea:
Heinen's is an upscale grocery store chain based mostly in the Cleveland area.
http://www.heinens.com
Have you talked with them about possibly accepting BTC?

coinneo (OP)

Activity: 46
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
July 15, 2014, 01:42:31 PM

Heinens would be great, and in fact we have already spoken with another grocery store in the area. But, we are still uncovering a lot of logistical issues for a store this size. There is simply not tight enough POS integration today to do this quickly and without development costs. Bitcoin revenues are so low right now, that investing in development is not something that has an ROI worth considering.

For instance, this issue also affects restaurants. Many of them use Micros POS systems. To even begin talking with Micros for a custom native integration is $15,000, and that does not include actually doing the work.

My hope is that the "bigs" (BitPay, Coinbase) will work with POS vendors to attain native integrations. Once this happens, it will be faaaar easier to approach larger organizations.
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 04:06:04 PM

Heinens would be great, and in fact we have already spoken with another grocery store in the area. But, we are still uncovering a lot of logistical issues for a store this size. There is simply not tight enough POS integration today to do this quickly and without development costs. Bitcoin revenues are so low right now, that investing in development is not something that has an ROI worth considering.

For instance, this issue also affects restaurants. Many of them use Micros POS systems. To even begin talking with Micros for a custom native integration is $15,000, and that does not include actually doing the work.

My hope is that the "bigs" (BitPay, Coinbase) will work with POS vendors to attain native integrations. Once this happens, it will be faaaar easier to approach larger organizations.

Evolution takes time. Thanks for the updates and great work.  Smiley

ThomasCrowne

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

★☆★ 777Coin - The Exciting Bitco

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 06:07:39 PM

I wonder how much work would be involved in taking one of the existing open-source POS systems (UniCenta or Softaculous for example) to incorporate crypto-payments?

mercistheman

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 11:38:01 PM
Last edit: July 15, 2014, 11:50:05 PM by mercistheman

Most POS systems have a key that can be mapped to enter a summary total for the day... or map a payment scan code ...
Most convenience stores are capable of accepting several forms of payments (some from other devices ).
Worse case is you do a simple journal entry to the corporate software system... if all goes well then you talk about real time integration to the POS device.
Start with the POS manufacturer... the accounting folks are used to creating new entries...
I'm sure this would not be difficult... don't let the front end store folks scare you away.
counter

Activity: 798
Merit: 500

Time is on our side, yes it is!

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 01:25:20 AM

I love these bitcoin boulevards!
They bring great consumer awareness and good practical use to the bitcoin ecosystem.

Every major city should have one!

Same hear, I'm going to give some serious thought to where would be a good place to propose such a place in my area.  There is no good reason this would not work and I'm mad at myself for not coming up with something similar to this idea till now..
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: