Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 02:43:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why a career in computer programming sucks  (Read 1932 times)
cknat (OP)

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 09:44:29 AM

So what advantage does a 60-year-old .NET programmer have over a 27-year-old .NET programmer when they both have, at most, 5 years of experience doing .NET programming? Absolutely none. I’d make the case that it’s better to hire the 27-year-old because he is still at the stage of his career where he enjoys the stuff and is therefore more motivated to learn and work harder, while the 60-year-old is surely bitter about the fact that he’s getting paid less than the younger programmers. No one wants a bitter employee.
Bitsaurus

Activity: 873
Merit: 1007

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 09:49:23 AM

Don't know, but my dad who is recently retired was making $160/hr do contractor work for Boeing as a program manager.  I doubt a 27 yo would make that rate as a contractor since they wouldn't have the experience under their belt.

A new startup that needs 16 hour days may not hire the 60 year old though.
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
July 15, 2014, 10:04:07 AM

All this says to me is you just shouldn't go for a job where you know you're going to be miserable, something I've advocated since I left school, yeah, if you can bear it, part time job or something, but for a career? There's no way you should force yourself to do something you hate just to earn money, you'll never be good at something you hate.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: