Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 02:54:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Facebook analyzed World Cup posts to see which countries type "goooal" the longe  (Read 577 times)
umair127 (OP)

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 05:09:43 PM

(To be clear, they factored in other languages as well, see below.)

Facebook has analyzed posts during the World Cup to see which countries celebrate goals the “loudest”—that is, add the most characters when typing the words “goal” in English, “gol” in Spanish and Brazilian Portuguese, “golo” in European Portuguese, and “tor” in German. (While other languages have their own written words for soccer goals—such as ゴール in Japanese or ประตู in Thai—Facebook says those are the only four where they saw “significant use of redundant characters in exuberant posts.”)

Among countries whose teams participated in this year’s World Cup, Mexico celebrated the most joyously, adding an average 6.6 extra characters per gol, not including punctuation. Overall, Venezuela, despite not fielding its own team, took the gooooooooooooool title, adding an average 12.9 extra characters.
http://qz.com/229553/these-are-the-w...t-on-facebook/

sana8410

Activity: 448

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 05:18:09 PM

oh shit i just saw that venezuela averaged 12.9 extra characters. their venezuelan sample size would have been like 2 tho because internet is so shoddy there ...

RENT MY SIG FOR A DAY
umair127 (OP)

Activity: 378

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 05:24:47 PM

oh shit i just saw that venezuela averaged 12.9 extra characters. their venezuelan sample size would have been like 2 tho because internet is so shoddy there ...
I noticed that too. One of the few things they have to be excited about these days. I guess they really need the extra o's.

Side note: Venezuela scored dead last on Foreign Policy's 2014 investment return index the other day (out of those countries with data).

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: