Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 03:45:34 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What percentage of your BTC should be kept in cold storage?  (Read 2497 times)
Lorenzo (OP)

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 10:44:17 AM

Cold storage = paper wallet, offline computer, secure hardware wallet, etc.

What do you think is the ideal percentage of BTC that should be kept in a cold wallet? Is there a trade-off between usability vs. security? If someone intends to hodl their bitcoins long term then perhaps 90 percent in cold storage sounds good. If someone is using their bitcoins to buy things, gamble, day trade, and invest in altcoins, then I would imagine 90 percent would be a pretty unrealistic figure.

What do you think?
Gianluca95
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1196

Reputation first.

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 10:47:46 AM

hypothesized capital: 100 BTC

If you want to stay in a safe condition, you have to put 90% of this capital in a cold storage, and the other 10% in your wallet that must be protect in every way.

█████████████████████████████
███▀█████████████████████▀███
███  ▀▀███████████████▀▀  ███
███     ████▀▀ ▀▀████     ███
███     ██▀       ▀██     ███
███     ██         ██     ███
███     ██▄       ▄██     ███
███     ████▄▄ ▄▄████     ███
███  ▄▄███████████████▄▄  ███
███▄█████████████████████▄███
.Mixin Safe.

▄███████▄     
██▀   ▀██
             ▄███████▄
██▄   ▄██             ██▀   ▀██
▀███████▀             ██▄   ▄██
   ███     ▄███████▄  ▀███████▀
   ███▀▀   ██▀   ▀██     ███
   █████   ██▄   ▄██     ███▀▀
   ▀▀▀     ▀███████▀     █████
              ███        ▀▀▀
              ███▀▀
              █████
              ▀▀▀
2/3 Multisig Decentralized
Bitcoin Custody Solutions
💎
💪
🔓
CONFIDENT
RELIABLE
RECOVERABLE
..GET STARTED..
Armed

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 11:00:56 AM

You could use different wallets on different computers and so on for extra security ( not keeping all eggs in one basket ).
Keep as much as you usually spend, that's probably the only advice someone can give you. It's up to everyone to do so.

cech4204a

Activity: 252

12CDKyxPyL5Rj28ed2yz5czJf3Dr2ZvEYw

View Profile WWW
July 16, 2014, 11:11:32 AM

Well depends on the ammount you have. If you have 1 BTC or less you don't give a fuck about cold storage. If you have 20 BTC, than keep what you need for your purchases off cold wallet and put others in cold wallet.

Bitcoin is DEAD
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 4668

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 11:26:12 AM

Store 100% of the bitcoins that you aren't going to spend soon in "cold storage".

The ONLY bitcoins that you should have in a hot wallet are the ones you plan to spend in the near future.

Simple.
Domino

Activity: 662
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 01:22:29 PM

What do you think is the ideal percentage of BTC that should be kept in a cold wallet? Is there a trade-off between usability vs. security? If someone intends to hodl their bitcoins long term then perhaps 90 percent in cold storage sounds good. If someone is using their bitcoins to buy things, gamble, day trade, and invest in altcoins, then I would imagine 90 percent would be a pretty unrealistic figure.

What do you think?

IMO, it depends on how much and how often you spend your bitcoin.
If you are not going to spend your bitcoin, you can put 100% of all bitcoin in a cold storage, but if you going to spend 1 btc a week, you could keep 2 btc in your personal hot wallet (with a good password of course) and replenish it every 2 weeks. Smiley

jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1023

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
July 16, 2014, 09:17:39 PM

What do you think?
What percentage of your paycheck do you keep in your wallet, in a checking account, in a savings account, in other investments?  If you have multiple accounts and distribute your money between them, follow that same pattern with your BTC.  It's a lot easier eating a small transaction fee for moving the money around than it is eating a loss of your coin because your hot wallet was compromised.

Jonny's Pool - Mine with us and help us grow!  Support a pool that supports Bitcoin, not a hardware manufacturer's pockets!  No SPV cheats.  No empty blocks.
jersey19957

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 09:33:48 PM

Store 100% of the bitcoins that you aren't going to spend soon in "cold storage".

The ONLY bitcoins that you should have in a hot wallet are the ones you plan to spend in the near future.

Simple.

This is pretty much it.
zhinkk

Activity: 266

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 09:35:03 PM

I feel like it shouldn't be a percentage. Unless you're a trader, it should be mostly ALL with the exception of some BTC used for buying things (under 10BTC for sure)
Baitty

Activity: 532

Currently held as collateral by monbux

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 09:35:37 PM

I think you should only have something in your hot wallet if you are going to be spending it in any time soon.

boraf

Activity: 315
Merit: 103

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 09:38:27 PM

If you are not actively trading bitcoin, you should store 100% of it in cold storage.
Baitty

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 09:49:05 PM

If you are not actively trading bitcoin, you should store 100% of it in cold storage.

Thats a good idea but at some point you'll maybe want to purchase something from a website with Bitcoin or off another useer. so I think that should be the only time you put a certain amount in a hot wallet.

zhinkk

Activity: 266

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 09:50:39 PM

Thats a good idea but at some point you'll maybe want to purchase something from a website with Bitcoin or off another useer. so I think that should be the only time you put a certain amount in a hot wallet.

Basically, what you can afford to lose. That's the definition of a hot wallet. But I often don't follow that rule myself. :/
bitcoinforhelp

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 10:03:15 PM

Cold storage should be 98% of your coins, im using site from sig to store mine offline on beautiful paper wallet Smiley
Baitty

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 10:12:41 PM

There's no percentage just have what you are not going to be using in the immediate future put in a cold wallet.

bitcoin_bagholder

Activity: 336

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 12:45:26 AM

Well depends on the ammount you have. If you have 1 BTC or less you don't give a fuck about cold storage. If you have 20 BTC, than keep what you need for your purchases off cold wallet and put others in cold wallet.

This.

Don't keep more than a couple hundred bucks worth of btc in a web wallet.

Bitmixer sucks

Bit-X sucks
batmanbad

Activity: 270

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 12:49:08 AM

I would say most so like 70% and the remaining 30% is on-hand for use of whatever you want.
Malin Keshar

Activity: 616

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 01:08:06 AM

Depends. If you are in aggressive instance, you can keep all in hot wallets for trade or to take quick advantage of price flutuactions and others oportunities.

If your main investment is not bitcoin, or if you are not a risk-prone investidor, you better 100% cold.

Anything between, part cold, part hot.
juju

Activity: 381

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 01:14:31 AM

What do you think?

Its very easy to use an offline wallet, and complete transactions quickly while its stored securely offline. This can be done in under 10 minutes in most cases, alot faster if you have practice. I would store every coin you have offline unless you need access to some immediately. Always use 2 Factor authentication when possible if you store your coins on online wallets.

I would research the Armory wallet: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=139601.0

Also if you can just download the vanity address generator and create private/public key pairs offline. Create backups of the keys on paper and/or encrypt them with a PGP key and save off the files on secure storage. Format the machine, and install another operating system before it is allowed to connect to the internet to ensure your keys were not saved and will not be broadcast to the internet. Alternatively if your storing serious coin, just buy a new hard drive and destroy the old one after formatting a few times.
Brewins
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 01:18:41 AM

Put any bitcoin you can't afford to lose on cold storage. This is my advice.
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  

Jump to: