Bitcoin Forum
July 08, 2024, 02:42:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Microsoft tells users to stop using strong passwords everywhere  (Read 5673 times)
IacceptBTC

Activity: 54
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 09:59:16 PM

If the site that you are using the password for properly restricts login attempts by both IP address and by username then it should be very difficult to gain access to even a weak password if the attacker doesn't have a hash of the password.
taipo

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

Kia ora!

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2014, 11:51:24 PM

- Sites limiting the size of passwords is just stupid.
- Most password crackers begin with hacking a copy of the database password hashes rather than bruteforcing the password field of a website
- Any site of any worth will use password salting which makes it much harder for an attacker to brute force your password from a hash stored in the database
- You need at least an 80 bit password.
- The keyspace is what password crackers work on, that and a number of common password patterns people use.

If you use lower and upper case, numbers and special characters then the keyspace is about 96 characters ( a-z, A-Z, 0-9, !-? ). Chances of attaining 80 bits or higher with an 8 or higher character password are good if you use the full character set.

Problem is they are difficult to memorise.

Try http://www.safepasswd.com and set it to Easy To Remember, and set the password length to 10 for your dumb password, and to 18 for your hard one.
Easy: bRitain8@2
Hard: H#iNTerceptor23rAid1

Use your easy password for everything except stuff that matters, use the hard password and if no length restrictions, the easy password for everything else

i.e. H#iNTerceptor23rAid1+bRitain8@2
------- Hard -------------- Easy ---

If an attacker nabs your easy password from other site they won't be able to use it to help them one bit with breaking the longer password, because in of itself, its not crackable by any password cracker on this earth at this point in time.

Support the two platforms essential to protecting the identities of whistleblowers. Both accept bitcoin donations.
https://globaleaks.org - GlobalLeaks ( btc: see http://goo.gl/D5wM0L )
http://goo.gl/sZg2RN  - SecureDrop: whistleblower submission system
Benjig

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 20, 2014, 12:06:48 AM

What does not seem correctly to me is to keep the password in the same computer or written down in a paper, in the computer anyone can stole it and in paper you can lose it.
So if you put a strong password but you do some of the above is the same or worst that if you put a weak one.
Bitcoin Magazine

Activity: 252

View Profile
July 20, 2014, 12:10:02 AM

Microsoft tells users to stop using strong passwords everywhere

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/jul/16/microsoft-stop-using-strong-passwords-everywhere

<< Weak passwords have their place, argues new research from Microsoft, and they help users conserve brainpower for where it is needed. >>

Microsoft sucks dick.  that's all i have to say.

i am here.
Lorenzo

Activity: 406

View Profile
July 20, 2014, 05:20:03 AM

My online banker doesnt allow a password over 7 characters long. Thats not secure now is it.. I thought this was such a joke I brought it up to the customer service, and they really had nothing to say.. Seriously...?

Having an online password of 7 characters is fairly secure.  You can't brute force a web password if they programmed it correctly.
7 characters would be something like 12,000 hours on a really crummy pc.  So better machines would reduce that a lot.  So 7 certainly is crackable.

Many sites have restrictions which either restrict the time allowed between login attempts and/or lock you out after a set number of failed attempts.
Argwai96
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

Thug for life!

View Profile
July 20, 2014, 07:59:00 AM

Not "everywhere". This is nothing new. No need to use very strong passwords on sites w/ no connection to financial/personal information, really. Not the end of the world if you lose access.
Amitabh S
Legendary

Activity: 1001
Merit: 1003

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 04:12:20 PM

What is more annoying is some crappy sites like Dominos pizza have annoying password rules.. so simple passwords won't work.

Coinsecure referral ID: https://coinsecure.in/signup/refamit (use this link to signup)
redsn0w
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1042

#Free market

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 04:20:49 PM

Users should use and reuse weak passwords for websites which don't hold valuable information, say researchers from Microsoft, overturning decades of accumulated wisdom on internet security.

By not having to worry about remembering complex unique passwords for every individual website, users can focus their efforts on recalling secure passwords for high-value sites like banking or e-commerce.

I don't see the "everywhere" from your title.

Another article for hits made by theguardian

My online banker doesnt allow a password over 7 characters long. Thats not secure now is it.. I thought this was such a joke I brought it up to the customer service, and they really had nothing to say.. Seriously...?

My online banking account requires a second code sent to my personal phone (2FA).
Also all the banks here rely either on a sms code or a token for extra security.

And I live in Romania......

Yes  that's correct... The 2FA system is very  good system.
3x2
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1004

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 04:31:23 PM

Users should use and reuse weak passwords for websites which don't hold valuable information, say researchers from Microsoft, overturning decades of accumulated wisdom on internet security.

By not having to worry about remembering complex unique passwords for every individual website, users can focus their efforts on recalling secure passwords for high-value sites like banking or e-commerce.

I don't see the "everywhere" from your title.

Another article for hits made by theguardian

My online banking account requires a second code sent to my personal phone (2FA).
Also all the banks here rely either on a sms code or a token for extra security.

And I live in Romania......

My online banking account just let me put 4 numbers Pin  Tongue but if i want to withdraw some money from my account for that there is 2FA.
tee-rex

Activity: 742
Merit: 526

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 04:31:49 PM
Last edit: July 22, 2014, 05:20:41 PM by tee-rex

Having an online password of 7 characters is fairly secure.  You can't brute force a web password if they programmed it correctly.
7 characters would be something like 12,000 hours on a really crummy pc.  So better machines would reduce that a lot.  So 7 certainly is crackable.

Any decent service will block you (at least temporarily) after trying to enter a few wrong combinations, so it doesn't depend on how powerful your machine is.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: