Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 02:05:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What are good resources for identifying POW schedules?  (Read 1393 times)
BTHECREATOR (OP)

Activity: 67
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 11:06:57 PM

Hi all, I'm new here and relatively new to crypto--I hope I'm posting in the right category.

In my trading I notice that a key variable for timing a trade is a coin's orientation in it's POW schedule, particularly when it is it's nearing the end of POW and the beginning of POS. I don't know how to determine these things, though, apart from listening to people on Twitter who may remark on it.

What are some resources I can use to begin identifying these schedules myself? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
laurapalmer

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 03:38:58 AM

There might be a site that aggregates that kind of data, but I'd think you need to install the client for whichever coins your interested, or see if they have an online block explorer. Just look at what block the coin is on and what block it is supposed to switch to PoS, or whatever you're interested... reward halving, etc.
desticy

Activity: 1512
Merit: 292

www.cd3d.app

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 03:00:29 AM

I have no idea but you can see this forum more.

majeis

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 08:04:19 AM

Your resources will be your own reading comprehension and ability to do basic math.

▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
▄██████████████████▄
▄██████████████████████▄
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
▀██████████████████████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
   ███████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
███████
BTC  ◉PLAY  ◉XMR  ◉DOGE  ◉STRAT  ◉ETH  ◉GRC  ◉LTC  ◉DASH  ◉PPC
     ▄▄██████████████▄▄
  ▄██████████████████████▄        █████
▄██████████████████████████▄      █████
████ ▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄ ████     ▄██▀
████ █████ ██████ █████ ████    ▄██▀
████ █████ ██████ █████ ████    ██▀
████ █████ ██████ █████ ████    ██
████ ▀▀▀▀▀ ▀▀▀▀▀▀ ▀▀▀▀▀ ████ ▄██████▄
████████████████████████████ ████████
███████▀            ▀███████ ▀██████▀
█████▀                ▀█████
▀██████████████████████████▀
  ▀▀████████████████████▀▀ 
DICE           
BLACKJACK
PLINKO       
VIDEO POKER
ROULETTE     
LOTTO            
den.faulkner1990

Activity: 42

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 09:13:21 AM

Hi all, I'm new here and relatively new to crypto--I hope I'm posting in the right category.

In my trading I notice that a key variable for timing a trade is a coin's orientation in it's POW schedule, particularly when it is it's nearing the end of POW and the beginning of POS. I don't know how to determine these things, though, apart from listening to people on Twitter who may remark on it.

What are some resources I can use to begin identifying these schedules myself? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

is not CurrentDate+(block_switching_to_pos-current_block)*time_per_block ?

i think there are no resorces with such info but it's look pretty easy to calculate  by yourself  Wink
Willisius

Activity: 364

I'm really quite sane!

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 09:45:23 AM

Go to the coin's github repository. Go to the file src/main.cpp. In Litecoin's case, this page. Then do a search for the two following expressions, one should match:

Code:
GetBlockValue
Code:
GetProofOfWorkValue

Find the above function, and it will have something like this, in Litecoin's case (this line):
Code:
int64 static GetBlockValue(int nHeight, int64 nFees)
{
    int64 nSubsidy = 50 * COIN;

// Subsidy is cut in half every 840000 blocks, which will occur approximately every 4 years
    nSubsidy >>= (nHeight / 840000); // Litecoin: 840k blocks in ~4 years

return nSubsidy + nFees;
}

This means that the subsidy (block reward) starts at 50 and is cut in half every 840,000 blocks. So in this case, I would find a block explorer for Litecoin and record the current block number. As of writing, LTC's current block number is 606,317.
Then divide the current block number by the figure in the source code, rounding down to an integer:
Code:
606317/840000 = 0
That means the block reward is (50 coins) / (2 ^ 0) = 50 coins!

Here's another example that I'm making up:
Code:
{
    int64 nSubsidy = 1000 * COIN;

// Don't expect to see these comments everywhere, some devs are lazy <---
    nSubsidy >>= (nHeight / 50000);

return nSubsidy + nFees;
}

Let's say the current block number is 120,000. Divide it by the figure in the source code:
Code:
120000/50000 = 2
That means the block reward is (1,000 coins) / (2 ^ 2) = 250 coins!

Sometimes you'll see something like this:
Code:
{
    if (nHeight == 1)
    {
        return 1000000 * COIN;
    }
    int64 nSubsidy = 1000 * COIN;

nSubsidy >>= (nHeight / 50000);

return nSubsidy + nFees;
}
This is a 1,000,000 coin premine. I encourage you to always check for yourself to see if there is a premine. Humans can lie, but the source code can't. I've seen more than one occasion where the premine was just totally unmentioned! This way, you don't have to hope that you get word of it, you can just see for yourself. Anyway, this premine business is drifting away from your question, so I'll stop.
laurapalmer

Activity: 11

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 02:24:41 PM

Go to the coin's github repository. Go to the file src/main.cpp. In Litecoin's case, this page.

Great answer. Use the source...

When I have a little extra time, I'll try to find the equivalent lines of code in some coins that don't share the Bitcoin code base.
cryptozim

Activity: 183
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 07:19:33 PM

Your resources will be your own reading comprehension and ability to do basic math.

I lol'd.

BTC: 15h26g3SUu6iXUi1phv5FHmASc5hDeGHpJ | LSK: 840098997497226041L | CSC: cMsbRGMLzu7Ss8L7Vv6osksUyt5P322uxS
ChuckOne

Activity: 364

☕ NXT-4BTE-8Y4K-CDS2-6TB82

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 07:22:39 PM

Well, actually that is basic math. Smiley

On the other hand side as you are new to crypto, I can tell you that PoW -> PoS is not the only scheme. There are also PoW only schemes (as Bitcoin) and PoS only schemes (as Nxt).
BTHECREATOR (OP)

Activity: 67
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 24, 2014, 11:25:18 PM

Hey guys, thanks so much for your feedback. This has been really helpful.

Sorry I'm just chiming in now, but I had forgotten to turn on reply notifications for this thread, and I didn't know anyone had responded.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: