Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 05:56:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: New "Choose your wallet" page on bitcoin.org  (Read 1521 times)
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2014, 09:15:47 PM

Looks good, but its slightly more confusing than the original page. Im not saying that its hard to understand, its just lest user friendly than having 3 LARGE buttons (original page).
A person has to be really dumb not to understand this at first sight.
Looks way better than the original if you ask me.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitCoinDream
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1204

The revolution will be digital

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 10:14:13 PM

Regarding BlockChain.info u have stated this...

The developers of this wallet publish the source code. This means any developer in the world can audit the code. However, you still need to trust developers of this wallet when installing or updating the final software because it was not built deterministically like Bitcoin Core.

But, AFAIK, the complete source code is not open like Bitcoin-QT. Only the client side JS is open. Please check the bottom of https://blockchain.info/wallet/security

The client side javascript is available at https://github.com/blockchain

We dont know what is happening at the server side !!!

To my understanding, transactions are signed locally by the app, so blockchain.info servers can only be used to get data from the block chain. The "decentralization" score takes care of this part: "This wallet relies on a centralized service by default. This means a third party must be trusted to not hide or simulate payments."

This being said, if someone can prove me wrong and show that any of these centralized servers can do more than just providing block chain data when the open-source client is loaded, I would certainly agree to use the "closed-source" dialog instead.

I have problem with the line The developers of this wallet publish the source code. I think, it should be changed to The developers of this wallet publish the client side source code, unless blockchain.info publishes the server side.

Moreover, as I can see u r Bitcoin.org maintainer, I would like to know, if the answers under the following question are paid ?

https://bitcoin.org/en/faq#how-does-one-acquire-bitcoins

blockgenesis (OP)

Activity: 285
Merit: 250

Bitcoin.org maintainer

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 02:11:47 AM

I have problem with the line The developers of this wallet publish the source code. I think, it should be changed to The developers of this wallet publish the client side source code, unless blockchain.info publishes the server side.

I've added a mention of the client in the text, good point, thanks!

Moreover, as I can see u r Bitcoin.org maintainer, I would like to know, if the answers under the following question are paid ?

https://bitcoin.org/en/faq#how-does-one-acquire-bitcoins

Do you mean if one of the website is paying for being linked here?

If I understand your question correctly, then the answer is no. Actually you can assume no link on bitcoin.org is (or has been) generating any kind of income so far to my knowledge (except the Foundation sponsorship banner of course, but it's clearly stated).

If you think any link is worth being replaced by another or anything, feel free to open a pull request (preferably only if you believe there's a good reason in doing so, because updating all translations is time consuming).

Donation: 18XXXQs1vAQGBAZbXKA322r9Zy1nZac2H4
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: