Bitcoin Forum
September 05, 2024, 01:22:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: ORA:: Logo submission & discussion thread  (Read 26211 times)
CoinExchange

Activity: 77
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 05:35:06 PM

First I want to say all of the submission were great and hard to narrow down just to three.

So here's my vote,

#1. I think this one is unique, inspired by nature, and stands alone without the "key" addition. This one will remain relevant for sometime to come.

#2. This one is simple, colorful, and eye catching. Also will remain relevant for sometime to come.

#3. I voted for this one simply because it's mine. Frankly I cannot stand the notion of voting for oneself, just doesn't seem right.
sanbashiyi
Legendary

Activity: 895
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 05:42:56 PM

Congrats to everyone.  A job well done!!!  I agree this is a tough decision.  Never seen a coin with this many quality entries, truly!

Here's my #1 (pentamon):
Sticking with a starfish design, not necessarily this coulour.  The symmetry will make it easier to animate, when the time comes:

My #2 (boubonicnougz):
But it will need a transparent BG:

And my #3 (kusakka):
Some variant of this design, not necessarily this colour:

kind regards,
nio

you logo is best IMO
Pentamon

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2014, 11:00:20 PM

First I want to say all of the submission were great and hard to narrow down just to three.

So here's my vote,

(votes snipped)
#3. I voted for this one simply because it's mine. Frankly I cannot stand the notion of voting for oneself, just doesn't seem right.

What a great sport you are, CoinExchange!

Interesting too, your comment on voting for your own design.

I was a little unsure how the designers would respond to this voting system.
It would be quite OK to put your own design as number one - (this way it would get 3 points and the other designs also 3) but I see some even left their own designs out of the vote altogether, graciously admitting to greatness that they perceive in other designs.

If you look at nioccoin's message above, you will maybe see that he was thinking of an animated logo in the future, and for that a symmetrical design like yours would be perfect. Interesting idea - should we give a few of these logo's a spin?

I thank you again for participating.
Designers, please make sure that I have your NXT addresses, send to me on private message, please.

I am starting the vote calculations,
stay tuned

Pentamon

http://www.oraforum.org  *  Yoda: "One stake to every human give!"
Pentamon

View Profile WWW
September 02, 2014, 06:15:10 AM

After many hours of going back and forth through three documents, I have a few interesting observations.

First the three documents:
1. The source is the Ora logo thread on bitcointalk.org.  You are reading it right now.
2. The visual playing field is the Prezi presentation where I have given those logos that received a vote a code, and moved copies of them closer to the target in the middle: http://prezi.com/zk-cuegzir2_/logo-for-ora/
3. A google drive spread sheet, for your perusal here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fqZOFOb-F-_XFXctVaO4NsReSYnu8yeJTxVYqe4gNrQ/edit?usp=sharing

Here my initial observations.

31 votes were cast and from those 12 were designers.
3 votes were incomplete because only one choice was mentioned.
One person voted three times ! Thank you for your enthusiasm, Darkhorse  Wink

The designer that has the most logos submitted, had also the most versions voted for: nine versions of kussaka were voted for.
He is followed by figroll, who has six of his versions mentioned in votes.

By submitting so many variations, some of these designers were experiencing 'vote splitting'.
Some of the multiple versions differ only very little, and potentially they can be lumped together. I have not done that yet.

If we look at the two population of voters: the 'regular members' and the 'designers', it is interesting that they choose somewhat different.

Amongst the non-designing participants, two designs from kussaka get the most nods:
k-06

and k-05

However the designers, who have 2/3rds of the vote, according to the formula, strongly favour this single design from gvans:
g-01

In the spread sheet, this one is the current leader.

This is all without lumping designs together.
Once we lump designs together, especially the colourful variations of figroll will surpass the votes for gvans.
Here is the example of figroll's potential winner: f-04

Enough for today. I am exhausted. No clear winner yet.
I am waiting to hear what the Starfish is going to tell me about lumping together or what to do.
So talk to me, people.  Tell me where I am making mistakes. Tell me your thoughts.
thank you.

Pentamon

DarkhorseofNxt

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 02, 2014, 06:34:39 AM

Make life easier. Give each logo 1 vote/point. Accumulate all the logo points. You have a winner.

Mac Red

Activity: 299
Merit: 252

View Profile
September 02, 2014, 06:42:07 AM
Last edit: September 02, 2014, 07:24:41 PM by Mac Red

I think lumping together design variations (of basically the same logo) would be reasonable. Then we could let the designer pick the exact colors/size or have a second vote on the exact design.

Otherwise a logo with many different color/size variations would have a handicap VS a logo with only one version. For example if I posted the same logo with 3 different colors and each would get 1 vote, it'd get 3 points. If instead each variation would get 1 point, like they are competing against each other, I'd "lose" against a logo with 2 votes! I bet nobody would have posted variations if they knew their chances of winning would decrease for every new example. Cool

Great job btw Pentamon!
DarkhorseofNxt

View Profile
September 02, 2014, 06:56:15 AM

Lump together variations. That is a good move.

DarkhorseofNxt

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 02:38:33 AM

Cool Do we have a winner yet?

kussaka

Activity: 125

Graphic designer

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 10:00:53 AM
Last edit: September 04, 2014, 08:40:54 AM by kussaka

Excellent work, Pentamon.   Complication of the situation was predictable - too many different versions of the same logo.

May be a second round of voting will help to resolve the situation?

One could make a separate thread  >  Well to make the logos without the background and in the simplest form,  like  good work of Gvans with mini logos  >  And put them in the title.   To do this, choose the logo that gained a some amount of  votes (more than 3 for  example) or some amount of points.   And several identical logo combined into one, as has been suggested Mac Red.

Here 3 logos from me on second round voting that have some votes  - if you agree with second round:

Update:

(Structure of Starfish)

(Shape of Starfish)

(Ora-Key by Maximuss with my "O")

Only shape of the logo in the grey color, for easy on the eyes.
Pentamon

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2014, 03:56:18 AM
Last edit: September 04, 2014, 04:07:25 AM by Pentamon

thank you, kussaka, for giving your perspective. The idea of a second round of voting is certainly a possibility.
 I would like to hear from gvans and figroll as well, if possible, what they think.

In the meantime, here is what we know:

1. If we take the votes per each individual design, then this is the winner, with 44 points:

The second one would be this one, with 37 points:

and the third this one, with 30 points:

This would be a simple solution, and straight according to the 'rules' that were set. gvans strategy of putting one design only has an advantage.

2. HOWEVER, if we look at the runner-ups, we notice that they submitted various similar looking designs, with subtle differences.
If I were to lump those together, we get higher numbers, for instance figroll collected a total of 55 points for four different variants of this design:

and kussaka, who collected a total of 114 points (!!) for what I would lump into four categories, but he lumps those into three basic designs.

If I stay with my lumping system, his most successful 'lump group' is this family, with 68 points.

So if we were to lump together, this design would be the winner.

Just for completeness, kussakas next popular design got 41 points, putting it on forth place, even with lumping:

3. So far, the process here in the Ora logo selection has been very civilized, giving me a good feeling and hope for collaboration.

I would like to preserve that good spirit, and hoping to maintain that with transparency as much as possible.
So I would like input from gvans and figroll, if you would please let me know what you think.

gvans, do you object to the lumping, realizing that it brings your endless starfish from 1st to 3rd place?

figroll, I guess you would be in favour of lumping together ?  Wink

Option A. Should we take these top three designs to another round of voting? We could ask these three designers, if they could please submit each only one design (they can look at our preferences, and use that as a guide), and we vote again?

Option B. Should we go with 'extreme lumping' - counting the total points that the designers brought in with all designs, picking the most popular one from his desings ,
This option  the top four designers like this:
kussaka (114 points)
figroll (55 points)
gvans (44 points)
maximuss (32)
etc.

This, by the way, DarkhorseofNxt, could be your easy formula for compensation,

Option C. Or should we do no lumping, and declare gvans the winner? - back to beginning my thoughts go.

Pentamon

dawj20

Activity: 282

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 04:09:24 AM

Or should we do no lumping

This.
Mac Red

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 05:58:00 AM
Last edit: September 04, 2014, 07:15:32 AM by Mac Red

This would be a simple solution, and straight according to the 'rules' that were set. gvans strategy of putting one design only has an advantage.

Well we did vote for a logo. Smiley Is this the time (after everything has ended) to decide to punish designers who have submitted multiple, sometimes extremely slight, design variations of the same logo? The most straight and fair thing is to count each vote for a particular logo, not split the votes up and say "sorry we count this as a whole new logo because you changed color of the text next to it from #000 to #333".

In all seriousness this procedure shouldn't even be called "lumping" but "counting". And the other option should be called "splitting up the votes".  Cool
DarkhorseofNxt

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 06:11:29 AM

First of all, no doubt all the top 4 logos deserve to be the winning logos. No doubt. And we should not be surprised with the results. I love all the 4 designs.

For the counting purpose, each voter "voted" for that particular design. Variation of that design should still be counted as the origin of the same design. So we have option A, option B, option C1, C2, C3 and option D. Option C1, C2, C3 should be counted and sum as option C. I am being very neutral here and practical. That should be your voting mechanism.

kussaka

Activity: 125

Graphic designer

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 08:28:34 AM
Last edit: September 04, 2014, 09:52:33 AM by kussaka

I agree If you choose logo by Gvans! His logo deserves to be the winner. And this logo will always be important to look and will not annoy you over time - because it is simple and elegant, well proportioned. In general, the idea of ora-starfish looks more unique and interesting than ora-key. I was initially attracted to the idea-starfish for a logo. Good form and content.

Anyway I think is better to choose individual logo primarily, not on the general points of the designer, because that again can be confusing due to the combined logo, by which I have typed a lot of points.
This logo  - in fact it is the logo of Maximus: main idea Ora-key and the main shape/font -  by Maximus.  I changed the letter O only, so that can be attach wallpaper with hexagons that many liked. If this logo would have won  - it would be more correct to consider the winner of Maximus, I think.
edit: If you will choose Option A - only one logo from each designer, this is the logo from me for the second round. .      And maybe 4 designers for the second round, not 3, because if to send the half the points from "Ora-key-hexagon" to Maximus as autor of idea and shape of Ora-Key, then Figrol, Gvans, me and Maximus - we all have roughly equal on points, and it turns out the designer in the top 4.
Mac Red

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 09:02:00 AM

I agree If you choose logo by Gvans! His logo deserves to be the winner. And this logo will always be important to look and will not annoy you over time - because it is simple and elegant, well proportioned. In general, the idea of ora-starfish looks more unique and interesting than ora-key. I was initially attracted to the idea-starfish for a logo. Good form and content.

Anyway I think is better to choose individual logo primarily, not on the general points of the designer, because that again can be confusing due to the combined logo, by which I have typed a lot of points.
This logo  - in fact it is the logo of Maximus: main idea Ora-key and the main shape/font -  by Maximus.  I changed the letter O only, so that can be attach wallpaper with hexagons that many liked. If this logo would have won  - it would be more correct to consider the winner of Maximus, I think.

If this is the general consensus it's what we should do (announce gvans's starfish logo as the winner). Everybody who wants to have a say in this should speak up now.
dawj20

Activity: 282

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 10:51:23 AM
Last edit: November 28, 2014, 03:31:02 AM by dawj20

This logo - in fact it is the logo of Maximus: main idea Ora-key and the main shape/font -  by Maximus.  I changed the letter O only, so that can be attach wallpaper with hexagons that many liked. If this logo would have won  - it would be more correct to consider the winner of Maximus, I think.

If this is the general consensus it's what we should do (announce gvans's starfish logo as the winner). Everybody who wants to have a say in this should speak up now.

I vote to announce gvans's starfish logo as the winner.
DarkhorseofNxt

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 03:15:25 PM

I vote to announce gvans's starfish logo as the winner.

It does not matter who wins. All 4 are nice logo that symbolizes something. We need to make sure our counting mechanism is fair and correct. That's all.

fragout
Legendary

Activity: 1279
Merit: 1018

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 04:54:10 PM

I guess it should really be left up to the designers to work out, but I dont think anyone should be punished for submitting slight changes to their original design after suggestions from others and thereby diluting their vote. Frankly I think the top 3 designers submit a final design each and we vote on that. It can only improve the final product. I would also recommend that all 3 get a similar bounty regardless of the outcome.
Pentamon

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2014, 06:12:00 PM

I guess it should really be left up to the designers to work out, but I dont think anyone should be punished for submitting slight changes to their original design after suggestions from others and thereby diluting their vote. Frankly I think the top 3 designers submit a final design each and we vote on that. It can only improve the final product. I would also recommend that all 3 get a similar bounty regardless of the outcome.

thank you, fragout,
To me this is a reasonable approach.

Here is what I would like to do, if we all agree:
Let us ask the top four (suggestion by kussaka) designers and ask for one single submission. It does not need to be altered, but we need only one submission per designer.
I can let kussaka, figroll and maximuss know which ones of their variations got the most nods.
Remember that the colours can always be changed afterwards.

This time we limit it to only have one choice per vote.
I would like to keep the same weighted preference towards the vote of of the designers that submitted before: they make out 2/3rd of the vote.

Time line: I would like to wrap it up in one week, we have taken already a month  Wink

Pentamon

Pentamon

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2014, 06:52:42 PM

Hello kussaka, gvans, figroll and maximuss,

In case you have missed the voting outcome on the Ora logo, I am asking if you four are willing to submit one design each for the final vote?
Please do so in the thread.

The justifications for this final voting run are written in the thread.

I hope to conclude this process in one week.

If, for some reason, one of you does not respond, I will just take the most successful version of your submissions :

gvans:
44 points:

kussaka:
this 'family' got 41 points:

however this group got 68 points, and was more successful:

figroll:
all your 'spinaker balloon' designs got 55 points lumped together, with 30 points going to this initial submission:

maximuss: total 32 points, with 21 points going to:

You can see all the relevant information in these two places:
http://prezi.com/zk-cuegzir2_/logo-for-ora/
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fqZOFOb-F-_XFXctVaO4NsReSYnu8yeJTxVYqe4gNrQ/edit#gid=1249974197

Thank you again for a very excellent process.

Pentamon

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: