Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 12:13:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Sad days for GPU mining  (Read 2341 times)
pj40 (OP)

Activity: 180
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 02:38:46 PM

It was sad that I shut down my GPU mining rig 2 days ago.  I couldn't justify the cost of running it and barely breaking even with alt coins.  A few months ago it was generating a nice profit, but with the prevalance of ASICs hitting the scrypt market and other algorithms not really taking off as profit-houses, GPU mining may finally be put to rest.

So I have a question, are any of you mining with gpu's and seeing a profit to justify the huge electricity costs?  I have gone from scrypt, scrypt-n, keccak, x11, and x13...sadly I was breaking about even at the end.  It may be time to sell my R9 290 video cards and hope to recover some of my investment.

Free faucet + lotto!  http://freebitco.in/?r=420364
byt411

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 02:42:42 PM

If you were about to break even, you should be able to sell them to make profit. Or you could continue mining x11/x13 and all those new algos? They apparently use less power.
Wexlike
Legendary

Activity: 1473
Merit: 1086

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 04:27:16 PM

monero.
hedgy73
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1077

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 04:44:58 PM

I've just stripped down and sold my gpu's and associated hardware for the very same reason plus its summer here and the heat was making my house unbearable.

Was okay in the winter because I hardly ever had to put the heating on or use dryer to dry clothes so wasn't really costing anything.

I was only mining on a relatively small scale as a hobby more than anything else but that's now unsustainable.

I think more and more people are realising that its not cost effective to buy the latest hardware and mine any algo unless you have free electricity so that rules most people out.

Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 05:18:27 PM

you can still catch some coin at launch and make some profit, but even this is harder now, another end of cycle is near like the one of one-two months ago
hedgy73
Legendary

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 05:28:27 PM
Last edit: July 17, 2014, 06:44:41 PM by hedgy73

you can still catch some coin at launch and make some profit, but even this is harder now, another end of cycle is near like the one of one-two months ago

That's what I resorted to for the last few months mining x11, x13, x15 because there is absolutely no profit mining any scrypt coin with a gpu.

Problem is its so hit and miss with new coins most of the time they're not worth the hastle mining on a small'ish scale either.

I will invest in some more mining equipment before winter but until then I couldn't tell you whether its going to be scrypt asics, sha-256 asics or some gpu's again.

In the meantime if I think a coins launching with some potential I'll rent a rig and mine it for the first few hours.
counter

Activity: 798
Merit: 500

Time is on our side, yes it is!

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 10:19:23 PM

Agreed, you'd have to pick the worthwhile coins but the fact is you can still make some decent coins with the low difficulty just launched especially if they explode early on. 
Undefeatable

Activity: 286
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 10:11:05 AM

It was sad that I shut down my GPU mining rig 2 days ago.  I couldn't justify the cost of running it and barely breaking even with alt coins.  A few months ago it was generating a nice profit, but with the prevalance of ASICs hitting the scrypt market and other algorithms not really taking off as profit-houses, GPU mining may finally be put to rest.

So I have a question, are any of you mining with gpu's and seeing a profit to justify the huge electricity costs?  I have gone from scrypt, scrypt-n, keccak, x11, and x13...sadly I was breaking about even at the end.  It may be time to sell my R9 290 video cards and hope to recover some of my investment.

Its almost impossible to break-even at this profitable, you are lucky that you did. But anyway its time to sell the graphic card and move on. Not worth the time maintaining it.

dragonmike

Activity: 1274
Merit: 556

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 10:26:46 AM

It's not the scrypt Asics killing profitability. Scrypt Asics don't do Scrypt-n, x11, -13, -15, Keccak etc.

It's the new difficulty re-targeting algos. A few months ago you'd be easily mining a whole bunch of coins at low diff because the block rewards were not being dynamically adjusted. In addition to that you now have ~500 shitcoins out there, essentially diluting an already small market.
Equate

Activity: 770

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 04:09:00 PM

Agreed, you'd have to pick the worthwhile coins but the fact is you can still make some decent coins with the low difficulty just launched especially if they explode early on. 

yes , that can be done but it is difficult picking a good coin out of tons of scam coins that are launched daily . GPU mining days are sadly over.
statdude
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 05:34:50 PM

monero.

no good reasons not to mine monero. that makes weeks ive been waiting for one  Huh

▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
█ ███████████████████████ █
█ █████     █ ▀██████████ █
█ █████     █   ▀████████ █
█ █████  ██ █     ▀██████ █

█ █████  ▀▀ █▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████ █
█ █████  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄  █████ █
█ █████             █████ █
▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀
  Website
    Twitter
      Gitlab
      Reddit
    Telegram
Whitepaper
  ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
█ ███▄    ███████▀   ▄███ █
█ ████▌    █████▀    ████ █
█ ████▌     ███▀     ████ █
█ ████▌▐█    █▀ █    ████ █
█ ████▌▐██     ██    ████ █
█ ████▌▐███   ███    ████ █
█ ███▀  ▀███ ███▀    ▀███ █
▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀
Madychoux

Activity: 212

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 09:41:05 PM

Indeed, hard time for GPU Miners !

To save energy I did a transition from AMD GPU to NVIDIA GPU - 750 Ti - but I nearly get 0,020BTC / Day....
hedgy73
Legendary

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 10:01:48 PM

To save energy I did a transition from AMD GPU to NVIDIA GPU - 750 Ti - but I nearly get 0,020BTC / Day....

Cheeky I know but how many cards do you use and what do you mine to get 0.02btc a day?
Madychoux

Activity: 212

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 07:11:52 AM

Cheeky I know but how many cards do you use and what do you mine to get 0.02btc a day?

12 x Gigabyte GV-N750TOC-2GI @ NiceHash x11/x13
MilesJohan

Activity: 378

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 07:33:24 AM

Whoever that have electricity of more then 0.08 cent/ KWH, please shut down your GPU rig and sell your GPU. You are helping your electricity company to make a profit, and you only get break-even.

MileyJohanson
Wexlike
Legendary

Activity: 1473
Merit: 1086

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 11:45:56 AM

maybe i am stupid, but just read threads like these: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=135897.0

and then think again.

(ofcourse if you have to pay your electricity immediately and you are mining at a loss, then it would be wiser to invest in the coins with cash)
Equate

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 12:19:28 PM

Whoever that have electricity of more then 0.08 cent/ KWH, please shut down your GPU rig and sell your GPU. You are helping your electricity company to make a profit, and you only get break-even.

I kept my  mining rigs on for the last month but as soon as profitability became less than my power tariff , I stopped all of my rigs . It makes no sense to mine unless power is free or dirt cheap.
kalus

Activity: 420
Merit: 263

let's make a deal.

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 11:26:14 PM

It makes no sense to mine unless power is free or dirt cheap.
this is true if you're just mining for the short term speculation.  the people that make the most money are speculators, and those are also the people that stand to lose the most.

DC2ngEGbd1ZUKyj8aSzrP1W5TXs5WmPuiR wow need noms
Feneusens

Activity: 275

View Profile
July 20, 2014, 01:31:45 AM

It makes no sense to mine unless power is free or dirt cheap.
this is true if you're just mining for the short term speculation.  the people that make the most money are speculators, and those are also the people that stand to lose the most.

Whatever speculation you make, if you can't even profit from your GPU then you are better off selling your GPU and buying the coins that you are speculating or buying hash from nicehash.com.

Equate

View Profile
July 20, 2014, 04:24:45 AM

Whatever speculation you make, if you can't even profit from your GPU then you are better off selling your GPU and buying the coins that you are speculating or buying hash from nicehash.com.

Yeah , it makes no sense to mine  in the current scenario unless power is cheap or free and buying a coin is always a better choice .
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: