Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 01:32:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: SOLAR ENERGY ?  (Read 3739 times)
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2014, 03:15:27 PM

The costs are getting much lower per year, I'm not sure what everyone is waiting for.
I don't think anyone is waiting around.  From that article: "As a whole, the U.S. installed 4.3GW of PV solar arrays this year, a 27% increase over 2012."  A 27% increase is a lot.  It takes time to ramp up manufacturing.  You can't just increase solar cell production by 100x in a year.  Besides, there's only so much demand.  It's not cost-effective (yet?) to replace existing power plants that work with solar plants, so demand is mostly going to come from the need for more electricity and from the need to replace old power plants that have reached the end of their useful life.  It also takes a lot of land area and of course the right climate to build a solar plant, so you can't just do it anywhere.
Well indeed you're right. But I want a higher growth actually. There is just not much being invested in it in my perspective.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
CoinsCoinsEverywhere

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 27, 2014, 03:27:02 PM

Solar energy shouldn't even be in the convo at the moment.  It is far to expensive up front and doesn't return your investment until way later of in the years.

I often see this posted on social media about how we need to convert roads to solar panels.  It is a great idea....however if we were to do that to just 1 state(larger state) the country would probably double in debt and its already hard to see us getting out of this whole(USA).  Think about redoing the world...
I thought you might find this December 2013 article interesting: http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9244836/Solar_power_installation_costs_fall_through_the_floor

Particularly this part: "The cost of installing photovoltaic solar arrays has dropped to $3 per watt of electricity they produce - about the same as coal-powered plants cost to build ..."

So it sounds like the cost is quickly becoming less of a factor.
what about the amount of land required for each watt produced?  Land is not by any means cheap
Land cost is not an issue if we're talking about putting solar panels on your own roof.  In fact, doing so increases your home's value.

Obviously land cost matters for solar plants, but I think remote sites are usually chosen where land is good for little else and is thus cheap.
Baitty

Currently held as collateral by monbux

View Profile
July 27, 2014, 03:56:19 PM

I've done some research of my own in the solar energy solution looking to find a good way to save money but it seems it would only save me money in 20-30 odd years in the future which  is quite hard to believe.

Currently held as collateral by monbux
virtapayseller666 (OP)

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 03:12:37 AM

Solar energy , Hydro energy are the best methods to save energy

you can buy solar set panel online

http://www.amazon.com/SHARP-Solar-Panels-Watts-Cells/dp/B00BBJUFHC

http://www.amazon.com/Grid-tie-Inverter-On-Grid-system-suitable/dp/B008E4GLL6

and many other site you may find on Google search but i suggest to use amazon website because its secure

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

Get Free Bitcoin Now!
  ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦   
0.8%-1% House Edge
[/
techgeek

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 04:21:29 AM

Its great, but those panels cost a lot to be put on the roof of a house just to save money etc.

virtapayseller666 (OP)

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 05:15:28 AM

Its great, but those panels cost a lot to be put on the roof of a house just to save money etc.

Search for local

Get Free Bitcoin Now!
0.8%-1% House Edge
[/
bitchon

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 05:29:39 AM

It doesnt cost anything to opperate.
virtapayseller666 (OP)

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 05:33:17 AM

low operating cost

ROI is 10 years

Get Free Bitcoin Now!
0.8%-1% House Edge
[/
davien

Activity: 462

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 07:00:30 AM

i think if you have enough money and you want to save for the next years by reducing costs than you should put some panels, it works well and save a lot of money for you by the time, if you have patience you should try

donotsow

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 02:22:14 PM

I was pleasantly surprised that there are a lot of solar panels in Italy. Everywhere!
escrow.dude

Activity: 95
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 01:09:48 AM

low operating cost

ROI is 10 years
You also need to pay for the land that the solar panel is located on.
beetcoin

Activity: 434

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 01:22:53 AM

low operating cost

ROI is 10 years

most solar panels go on rooftops though. it would be tough to get panels if you're living in an apartment complex, and there is no land to put it on in that case. so it's usually limited to homes, though i know there are some apartments that have panels.

i wonder if you could put the panels in your backyard, and use it as a rooftop.. that would serve two purposes, kind of like this:

CoinsCoinsEverywhere

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 01:25:00 AM

If you can figure out how to install the panels yourself and then just hire an electrician to hook them up to the grid, you would save significant money.  Otherwise, if your numbers look like bluefirecorp's measured data, it will be a lot harder.
beetcoin

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 01:31:44 AM

I've done some research of my own in the solar energy solution looking to find a good way to save money but it seems it would only save me money in 20-30 odd years in the future which  is quite hard to believe.

i had someone quote me 30k for enough solar panels to provide 700 KWH per month. they are vastly overcharging, because they were trying to convince me to buy a brand that they approved.

i was browing around a bit, and it sounds like you can get a system installed for under $10k.. so your ROI should be less than 20-30 years.
CoinsCoinsEverywhere

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 01:55:02 AM

i had someone quote me 30k for enough solar panels to provide 700 KWH per month. they are vastly overcharging, because they were trying to convince me to buy a brand that they approved.

i was browing around a bit, and it sounds like you can get a system installed for under $10k.. so your ROI should be less than 20-30 years.
That does sound like overcharging.  700kWh/month at $0.08 per kWh would only save you $672/year.  That's only $13k in 20 years.  Unless your electricity is much more expensive than $0.08/kWh, that's a terrible deal.  How much are they charging per installed watt?  Like $10?

And if someone says you'll get so many kWh/month out of the system, make sure they tell you how many you'll get per year (is 700 a good month or bad?), and make sure you have a way of keeping them to that promise.
beetcoin

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 02:03:57 AM

I've done some research of my own in the solar energy solution looking to find a good way to save money but it seems it would only save me money in 20-30 odd years in the future which  is quite hard to believe.

That does sound like overcharging.  700kWh/month at $0.08 per kWh would only save you $672/year.  That's only $13k in 20 years.  Unless your electricity is much more expensive than $0.08/kWh, that's a terrible deal.  How much are they charging per installed watt?  Like $10?

And if someone says you'll get so many kWh/month out of the system, make sure they tell you how many you'll get per year (is 700 a good month or bad?), and make sure you have a way of keeping them to that promise.

depends where you are living, really. where i am, 700KWH/month costs more than $200. that's $2,400 per year in minimum savings.

tier 4 costs 33 cents per KWH. the number fluctuates, but i believe you get out of tier 1 after using 180 KWH.
virtapayseller666 (OP)

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 10:50:26 AM

low operating cost

ROI is 10 years

most solar panels go on rooftops though. it would be tough to get panels if you're living in an apartment complex, and there is no land to put it on in that case. so it's usually limited to homes, though i know there are some apartments that have panels.

i wonder if you could put the panels in your backyard, and use it as a rooftop.. that would serve two purposes, kind of like this:

yes its right you no need of land for this u can your your room Roof also

Get Free Bitcoin Now!
0.8%-1% House Edge
[/
CoinsCoinsEverywhere

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 04:58:39 AM

I've done some research of my own in the solar energy solution looking to find a good way to save money but it seems it would only save me money in 20-30 odd years in the future which  is quite hard to believe.

That does sound like overcharging.  700kWh/month at $0.08 per kWh would only save you $672/year.  That's only $13k in 20 years.  Unless your electricity is much more expensive than $0.08/kWh, that's a terrible deal.  How much are they charging per installed watt?  Like $10?

depends where you are living, really. where i am, 700KWH/month costs more than $200. that's $2,400 per year in minimum savings.

tier 4 costs 33 cents per KWH. the number fluctuates, but i believe you get out of tier 1 after using 180 KWH.

Wow, where are you?  From what I've read, 14 cents/kWh is on the high side, at least in the US.  33 cents sounds insane.  But that sure would make solar panels a better deal.
rhino34567

Activity: 288

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 05:06:47 AM

Well, we are going to have to turn somewhere eventually when fossil fuels run out. We also have to evaluate which alternatives are better both for the short and the long term. If we pick the wrong thing, we might just dig ourselves into a bigger hole.

leepsteer00

Activity: 574

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 06:02:59 PM

Heard it from someone that if you own a Tesla and have Solar Panel installed in your house, you can literally get your car to run with energy from the sun!
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: