Bitcoin Forum
June 19, 2024, 10:09:19 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Blackphone - are you buying one?  (Read 3236 times)
2dogs (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1267
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 08:59:12 PM
Last edit: July 18, 2014, 06:33:06 PM by 2dogs

https://www.blackphone.ch/

Blackphone includes a unique combination of operating system and application tools which offer unparalleled security and privacy to information workers, executives, public figures, and anyone else unwilling to cede ownership of their privacy to other authorities. Blackphone's PrivatOS, built on Androidâ„¢, and combined with a full suite of privacy-enabled applications, allows users to regain control over their communications activities. No longer will the use of a smartphone demand acceptance of unauthorized surveillance, commercial exploitation of activity data, and the loss of privacy, security and fundamental human rights.

Blackphone is powered by a >2 GHz quad-core SoC and features a full set of premium features, such as a 4.7" HD IPS screen, LTE, HSPA+, 1GB DDR3 RAM, 16GB of storage, >8MP primary camera with flash and 1.3MP front camera, Bluetooth 4.0, 802.11n WiFi, GPS, and more. Certain specifications are subject to change and may be adjusted prior to shipping the first phones later this year.

Selling for US$629 (plus shipping and any local taxes or duties for the destination address), Blackphone is a real no-excuses solution for traveling executives looking to BYOD, families concerned about personal security, and anyone else who understands the value of maintaining personal privacy rather than giving it away for free.

Blackphone comes unlocked and features several pre-installed privacy tools, all of which are fully enabled for at least two years of usage. These tools include the Silent Circle suite of apps, including Silent Phone, Silent Text, and Silent Contacts; anonymous search, private browsing, and VPN from Disconnect; and secure cloud file storage from SpiderOak. In addition, Blackphone ships with the Smart WiFi Manager from Mike Kershaw, Chief Architect for SGP Technologies, and a powerful remote-wipe and device recovery tool

I WANT - discuss pros, cons.

counter

Activity: 798
Merit: 500

Time is on our side, yes it is!

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 09:42:14 PM

https://www.blackphone.ch/

Discuss pros, cons.

At this time most likely will not buying one.  I don't know what plans there will be for apps to compete with competitors.  Pricing and issues with the potential of this phone to have a lot gimmick like features instead of real ease of use features that make the overall experience using the phone enjoyable.  Thank for sharing this, I do support a step in the direction with mobile devices but I'm going to reverser judgement until it's has been vetted by the professionals.
2dogs (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 10:13:25 PM

I'm waiting for some reviews before I plunk down the $650.

Hope to hear some good feedback on this.
s1lverbox
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1039

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 10:19:13 PM

I always liked phones which was custom made. Like : https://cyngn.com/products/n1/ sorry for hijacking thread with this. Just 2 cents from me.

Blackphone looks cool. price is a bit to much. First this is custom made phone so we dont know about quality.Second even if quality is good how really this handset is safe when others "listen"?
2dogs (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 10:28:13 PM

I always liked phones which was custom made. Like : https://cyngn.com/products/n1/ sorry for hijacking thread with this. Just 2 cents from me.

Blackphone looks cool. price is a bit to much. First this is custom made phone so we dont know about quality.Second even if quality is good how really this handset is safe when others "listen"?

No worries about hijacking - we're all here to learn.

Do you have one of these N1s?
bitgeek

Activity: 462
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 10:33:11 PM

Probably not, I have my trusty old Galaxy s2 Cheesy

███████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████

Online.BTC.Bingo

.*500%.CASH.BACK.+.INSTANT.BONUS
..PROGRESSIVE.JACKPOT
..NO-DOWNLOAD.CLIENT

EPIC.FUN.
s1lverbox
Legendary

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 10:42:27 PM

No worries about hijacking - we're all here to learn.

Do you have one of these N1s?

No i don't, but i know someone who have it and this phone is huuge. And i mean big as hell.I have big hands but quite difficult to hold it in one.
More like galaxy note that phone.

I have galaxy s5 at this moment.

If price would be right, this blackphone could be good choice.
Oldminer
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 10:43:24 PM

Interesting concept but how much more secure & private is it really? The site doesnt seem to give much detail on the fancy-named features.

Also, who manufacturers the hardware?

If you like my post please feel free to give me some positive rep https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=trust;u=18639
Tip me BTC: 1FBmoYijXVizfYk25CpiN8Eds9J6YiRDaX
s1lverbox
Legendary

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 10:44:14 PM

Interesting concept but how much more secure & private is it really? The site doesnt seem to give much detail on the fancy-named features.

Also, who manufacturers the hardware?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OKRckJ4YhA

r3wt

Activity: 686
Merit: 504

always the student, never the master.

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 10:48:03 PM

I'm just gonna go out on a limb here and say that anyone who spends 630 dollars one of these phones is a sucker.

Some issues i have here:

looks like an 50 dollar att go phone generic android. logic says, i can just pirate a copy of their "privatOS" and rip it to my smartphone. same level of protection offered by their product.

you use it with your normal gsm provider. of course you're still being monitored. duh! the only advantage is the software doesn't have the the hidden recording and monitoring functions that log everything you do to a reserved section of your devices storage.

TLDR;they appear to be charging you 500 dollars for their custom operating system, plus the cost of the hardware. seems like a rip off.

My negative trust rating is reflective of a personal vendetta by someone on default trust.
counter

Activity: 798
Merit: 500

Time is on our side, yes it is!

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 04:23:16 AM

I'm just gonna go out on a limb here and say that anyone who spends 630 dollars one of these phones is a sucker.

Some issues i have here:

looks like an 50 dollar att go phone generic android. logic says, i can just pirate a copy of their "privatOS" and rip it to my smartphone. same level of protection offered by their product.

you use it with your normal gsm provider. of course you're still being monitored. duh! the only advantage is the software doesn't have the the hidden recording and monitoring functions that log everything you do to a reserved section of your devices storage.

TLDR;they appear to be charging you 500 dollars for their custom operating system, plus the cost of the hardware. seems like a rip off.

Yeah this is what I assumed off the bat.  Just seems to good to be true so I think it is a safe bet to assume that is just the case.  I'll gladly eat my words if the phone is a game changer but not for what seems to be a repackaging of standard high end smartphones and a big price tag. 
Thai

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 05:08:19 AM

It still looks like a good product, nonetheless.
2dogs (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 05:13:46 AM
Last edit: July 18, 2014, 08:34:23 AM by 2dogs

I was afraid someone was going to mention this.
dudebit

Activity: 31

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 04:44:31 PM

How it works:
With your phone you get a phone # that goes through Switzerland.
Any secure calls you make are routed through the servers there.
any calls you receive to this number are routed through the Swisserver.
Anyone attempting to eavesdrop only see encrypted data going to a server
beyond their reach. No way to link a caller to a recipient or view the communication.
No decryption on the server - only end to end - so no one can access the server and get anything useful.

What you get - and an estimated value.
A Smartphone (your buying it upfront - price not buried in a 2 year contract) worth maybe $350+-.
2 years of Silent Circle (you can get this for any android/iphone for $10/mo - 100 per year. $200-$240+-
Android PrivateOS - gives deep control over what apps access what phone features (address book, wifi, etc...) $20+
3 1 year "Friends & Family" SilentCircle subscriptions. $300+-
Plus more...

Blackphone is not for those who want to believe they can get privacy on the cheap.
It is for those for whom privacy/security is not an option.

The team that developed Blackphone includes Phil Zimmerman creator of PGP encryption the standard in email encryption.
Anyone who thinks PZ would be involved in a project that rips people off, doesn't know Phil.
Anyone who thinks PZ would be involved with Blackphone if it wasn't secure, doesn't know Phil.

Who might see value in the Smartphone?
Obviously the need changes depending on whether you are in Iran, Russia or the US.
Journalists, CEOs, Business Travelers, Protest organizers, Gov Contractors,
Employees (working on new product development) etc...
state medical marijuana growers concerned with overzealous FEDs. etc...
2dogs (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 05:28:45 PM

Compatible With Any GSM Carrier
No contract obligations so your Blackphone is yours to use, configure, and modify to your own desire.

From this, I'm assuming one needs the additional monthly service of a carrier?
How secure can that be?
gangplankk

Activity: 39

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 05:41:58 PM

is this phone even worth mentioning I feel like its another apple iphone overpriced.
dudebit

Activity: 31

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 06:05:49 PM

From this, I'm assuming one needs the additional monthly service of a carrier?
How secure can that be?

Since you are sending encrypted packets as data (over ATT or whoever) all they see are encrypted
data packets going to Switzerland.
2dogs (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 06:16:41 PM
Last edit: July 18, 2014, 06:35:18 PM by 2dogs

I'm really close to buying one but I'm one of these rooted android fans, same as:

Still have time to think about it, though, as it doesn't come to the US till late July.
Need to find a discount code.

What you get - and an estimated value.
A Smartphone (your buying it upfront - price not buried in a 2 year contract) worth maybe $350+-.
2 years of Silent Circle (you can get this for any android/iphone for $10/mo - 100 per year. $200-$240+-
Android PrivateOS - gives deep control over what apps access what phone features (address book, wifi, etc...) $20+
3 1 year "Friends & Family" SilentCircle subscriptions. $300+-
Plus more...

Can't resist this deal - very attractive:

What you get

$829 in extra value

Blackphone

2 years of Silent Circle Mobile

3, 1 year "Friend and Family" Silent Circle Subscriptions

2 years of Disconnect, 1GB/month

2 years of SpiderOak, 5GB/month

International Power Adapter Kit

Headset