Bitcoin Forum
May 29, 2024, 04:43:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Blackphone - are you buying one?  (Read 3235 times)
r3wt

Activity: 686
Merit: 504

always the student, never the master.

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 09:49:07 PM
Last edit: July 18, 2014, 10:02:47 PM by r3wt

My negative trust rating is reflective of a personal vendetta by someone on default trust.
shkiser

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 10:26:10 PM

Im paranoid at heart, so it sounds like a set up. Kinda like the obama phone.

Free Litecoin Faucet ---> http://ltc4you.com/?r=6840
Godye Scaro X9

Activity: 39
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 20, 2014, 08:27:52 AM

I'm just gonna go out on a limb here and say that anyone who spends 630 dollars one of these phones is a sucker.

Some issues i have here:

looks like an 50 dollar att go phone generic android. logic says, i can just pirate a copy of their "privatOS" and rip it to my smartphone. same level of protection offered by their product.

you use it with your normal gsm provider. of course you're still being monitored. duh! the only advantage is the software doesn't have the the hidden recording and monitoring functions that log everything you do to a reserved section of your devices storage.

TLDR;they appear to be charging you 500 dollars for their custom operating system, plus the cost of the hardware. seems like a rip off.

I don't think you can find comparable specs on a $50 phone:

Blackphone is powered by a >2 GHz quad-core SoC and features a full set of premium features, such as a 4.7" HD IPS screen, LTE, HSPA+, 1GB DDR3 RAM, 16GB of storage, >8MP primary camera with flash and 1.3MP front camera, Bluetooth 4.0, 802.11n WiFi, GPS, and more. Certain specifications are subject to change and may be adjusted prior to shipping the first phones later this year.

A $50 phone would probably have a sub-3.5" screen, 800MHz single core processor, 2 MP camera, no front camera, and run Gingerbread.
Nobitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

In holiday we trust

View Profile
July 20, 2014, 06:26:54 PM

Wait this seems like a waste of time since all the phone networks are bugging you anyway and the hardware isn't to impressive for the money.
fatguyyyyy

Activity: 406

Bitcoin Mixer: https://BitLaunder.com

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2014, 06:43:14 PM

whats the point of this phone?

2dogs (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1267

View Profile
July 20, 2014, 08:36:55 PM

whats the point of this phone?

Supposed to offer privacy.
FUR11

Activity: 378

FURring bitcoin up since 1762

View Profile
July 20, 2014, 09:20:58 PM

Phew... The website alone is puzzling me. I keep on scrolling and - apart from the lag - it's a tad mezmerizing what happens. In light of recent events concerning privacy etc. this seems like a good idea, but I doubt that a lot of people care enough for their privacy to even consider getting such a phone. Everyone's complaining, yet they're all posting their private lives willingly on Facebook  Tongue

PRC_May

Activity: 224
Merit: 15

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 12:01:19 AM

I think they idea is great. Needs some trustworthy third party auditing though.

The most important target right now is to get people to actually use their available security options. Even some easy and free tools like GPG.. (which is actually not 100% secure in terms of tracking depending on usage, but it's a start) just spreading the awareness.

Everyone's complaining, yet they're all posting their private lives willingly on Facebook  Tongue
^ Is just too true.
subercoin

Activity: 318

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 01:09:46 PM

Blackphone seems shitty and oveerpriced compared to Oneplusone:

Blackphone is powered by a >2 GHz quad-core SoC and features a full set of premium features, such as a 4.7" HD IPS screen, LTE, HSPA+, 1GB DDR3 RAM, 16GB of storage, >8MP primary camera with flash and 1.3MP front camera, Bluetooth 4.0, 802.11n WiFi, GPS, and more. Certain specifications are subject to change and may be adjusted prior to shipping the first phones later this year.

Oneplusone has a full 1080px HD 5.5-inch screen, 2.5 GHz quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 processor coupled with an Adreno 330 GPU, 3GB RAM, 64GB of internal memory, CyanogenMod 11s Custom OS, 13 megapixel (rear) and 5 megapixel (front) camera – Sony Exmor sensor, Dual LED and 4K video support.

Blackphone is 629$
Oneplusone is 350$

I think you know which one I'm going to take...

DjPxH

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 01:43:56 PM

Oneplusone has a full 1080px HD 5.5-inch screen, 2.5 GHz quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 processor coupled with an Adreno 330 GPU, 3GB RAM, 64GB of internal memory, CyanogenMod 11s Custom OS, 13 megapixel (rear) and 5 megapixel (front) camera – Sony Exmor sensor, Dual LED and 4K video support.

Blackphone is 629$
Oneplusone is 350$

So people are still comparing phones or anything in terms of the pure performance specs. This has always been pretty stupid. It says very little about the actual quality of the components, the quality of the surrounding hardware and the actual performance and experience provided by the operating system!

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
subercoin

Activity: 318

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 01:48:12 PM

Blackphone is 629$
Oneplusone is 350$

So people are still comparing phones or anything in terms of the pure performance specs. This has always been pretty stupid. It says very little about the actual quality of the components, the quality of the surrounding hardware and the actual performance and experience provided by the operating system!

How I'm supposed to know which has better quality?
Wait two yeras and ask my friend how their phones have lasted and then buy best one?
Or buy most overpriced product and hope I get some qulity too?

1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 01:49:37 PM

This phone won't be a succes. Sure, here and there a few nerds will buy one, but we can already install apps that offer encrypted services to protect our privacy.

No need to buy such an expensive phone.
ruggedman_dan
Legendary

Activity: 1012

We on P. Sherman 42 Wallaby Way, Sydney

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 05:40:07 PM

You want real privacy and value?

$5 throw away phones from dollar general. Switch your number up every month. Hell, every week. No internet access on them plus they don't even ask for your name. Plus, you can pick what area code you want.

Pay with cash. Throw away and eat the sim card. Boom.
Baitty

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

Currently held as collateral by monbux

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 06:02:08 PM

This can't be very successful with those prices for something which can easily be done with other phones (look at the previous posts).

DjPxH

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 06:27:04 PM

Blackphone is 629$
Oneplusone is 350$

How I'm supposed to know which has better quality?
Wait two yeras and ask my friend how their phones have lasted and then buy best one?
Or buy most overpriced product and hope I get some qulity too?

Well you can see how the phones feel and compare them to each other. If it squeaks and screeches, well... decide for yourself. You can also await reviews how they perform. And just try and experience or try out the operating system! I can't believe so many Android phones still have such a stuttery scrolling. Awful, it just feels bad and low quality.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Crypto_G

Activity: 107
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 07:18:56 PM

Good concept, However I would go with one of those ghost phones from your friendly local neighborhood hacker LMAO
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 07:31:52 PM

Seems like a cool idea, but the part that I don't get is:  Don't you basically forfeit all these privacy measures the moment you connect it using one of the major wireless carriers (i.e. ATT, Sprint, T-Mobile)?
Baitty

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 07:54:44 PM

Seems like a cool idea, but the part that I don't get is:  Don't you basically forfeit all these privacy measures the moment you connect it using one of the major wireless carriers (i.e. ATT, Sprint, T-Mobile)?

Yes. Unless they have some sort of way to bypass that but I can't imagine they have and if they did have networks would probably blacklist the device.

bluefirecorp
Legendary

Activity: 882

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 08:07:07 PM

No. 'tis a silly phone. Pretty much I could emulate this phone by just encrypting most of my OS already using a 3rd party application on my phone. As for calls, I'm not sure any sort of phones could handle on the fly encryption (plan would be to use SMS / text for GPG verification and then call be encrypted via shared private key that was shared via GPG).

keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 08:15:22 PM

The blackphone even comes in hands free!

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: