Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 03:23:10 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why? I just don't understand why!  (Read 2131 times)
kashish948 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 11:29:33 AM

Why does bitcoin not include the new features from altcoins? There are like tons of new features even if you leave out anon that will increase BTC's use and value. So why not include them in Bitcoin Core? BTC is trailing behind others in terms of features, the only (HUGE) advantage is thats its the first accepted by a huge number of merchants.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Light

Activity: 742
Merit: 502

Circa 2010

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 11:35:05 AM

Why does bitcoin not include the new features from altcoins? There are like tons of new features even if you leave out anon that will increase BTC's use and value. So why not include them in Bitcoin Core? BTC is trailing behind others in terms of features, the only (HUGE) advantage is thats its the first accepted by a huge number of merchants.

Well, simply that they aren't deemed of enough importance to actually merit discussion by the developers. I doubt that they aren't aware of what altcoins offer, but instead they do not consider it useful enough to have to ask for a consensus from the miners and nodes in order to prevent problems associated with forking. The first and foremost purpose of BTC is to act as a decentralized currency that can be used as a semi-anonymous means of conducting transactions in a (mostly) irreversible manner. Any other concern is really just secondary.
kashish948 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 12:21:36 PM

Well, simply that they aren't deemed of enough importance to actually merit discussion by the developers. I doubt that they aren't aware of what altcoins offer, but instead they do not consider it useful enough to have to ask for a consensus from the miners and nodes in order to prevent problems associated with forking. The first and foremost purpose of BTC is to act as a decentralized currency that can be used as a semi-anonymous means of conducting transactions in a (mostly) irreversible manner. Any other concern is really just secondary.

Agreed the basic purpose is acting as a decentralized irreversible currency but what is the the problem of including beeter features without compromising the basic purpose? Why will it not have consesus? It won't harm BTC in any way, will it?
iluvpie60

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 12:27:15 PM

As God once said "If it ain't broke dun't fix it!"

Wink
Justin00
Legendary

Activity: 910

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 12:39:34 PM

It would be incredibly hard to introduce a new feature. Depending on the feature you might need EVERYONE to adopt it.
with alt coins their is usually only 1 client so you  don't really have to much of a choice, right ?

i would rather the devs fix up existing features and problems. Now I understand the purpose of the blockchain but jeeeez I would hate to have to download it again. I am even to scared to see how big it is now. It must be growing at a huge rate.... and yeah yeah I can use a light client, but their is a fundamental issue if 99% of people have to do that.

One of the best things they did was what ever it was to speed up the time it takes to sync... I think what ever it was... was introduced in the version
after/around 0.6.3. I'm still loving it heh.  The new stuff they put into 0.9 seems knda silly but maybe I just don't understand the purpose.

Hmmmmm I should really branch out and see what some of the other clients besides Bitcoin-QT have to offer.

kashish948 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 12:49:45 PM

It would be incredibly hard to introduce a new feature. Depending on the feature you might need EVERYONE to adopt it.
with alt coins their is usually only 1 client so you  don't really have to much of a choice, right ?

i would rather the devs fix up existing features and problems. Now I understand the purpose of the blockchain but jeeeez I would hate to have to download it again. I am even to scared to see how big it is now. It must be growing at a huge rate.... and yeah yeah I can use a light client, but their is a fundamental issue if 99% of people have to do that.

One of the best things they did was what ever it was to speed up the time it takes to sync... I think what ever it was... was introduced in the version
after/around 0.6.3. I'm still loving it heh.  The new stuff they put into 0.9 seems knda silly but maybe I just don't understand the purpose.

Hmmmmm I should really branch out and see what some of the other clients besides Bitcoin-QT have to offer.

If everyone can adopt from 0.6s to 0.9s why not include the new features in the next update? and yes they should get the syncing faster!
1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 12:56:47 PM

Why would you want that? Bitcoin is fine as it is, no need to include new features or change anything.

It's not the fastest coin around, by far not, but it's doing what we want.
Mowcore

Activity: 592

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 01:16:36 PM

If anything good (rather, beneficial) comes along then Bitcoin will simply absorb it.

Till then...

Humble Weekly Bundle.Pay What You Want. Redeem on Steam. Support charity. Pay with BTCitcoin now!--> Paypal Sad
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 01:21:41 PM

Can you give an example of a feature that has been proven by an altcoin that has not been included in Bitcoin?

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
ajareselde
Legendary

Activity: 1722

Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 01:23:31 PM

The best thing about altcoin features is that bitcoin doesnt need to include them right away; isnt it smarter to wait a certain amount of time to see if there are any flaws to those features?
If you think that bitcoin is going to remain the same, i assure you it wont, but it wont add any feature without carefully and slowly integrating them also.
Patience is a virtue, so just remain calm, and let time show are the features valuable enough to risk 8 billion dollar market cap. to some flaw.

cheers
Nerazzura

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 01:28:41 PM

Why would you want that? Bitcoin is fine as it is, no need to include new features or change anything.

It's not the fastest coin around, by far not, but it's doing what we want.
exactly once. bitcoin is perfect with the situation now. There is no need to be changed.
 keep him stable it is enough.
cozk

Activity: 812

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 01:34:48 PM

S T A B I L I T Y  -  C O N F I D E N C E

/Thread
Prez

Activity: 243
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 01:40:32 PM

If there wasn't so many new coins being developed everyday maybe they will be noticed more. Now you have anyhting from titcoin to imashitcoin to pick from.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4475

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 01:41:11 PM

kashish948 you say better features... but which features?

i have only seen you mention 1. syncing.

you do realise that the crap coins seem faster to sync, not because the alt has better features but because of these 2 reasons
1. crap coin(altcoins) blocks are smaller because they are used less, with less transactions per block
2. crap coin(altcoins) dont have 5 years of large data to send.

analogy
if i write a novel, and you wrote a leaflet ofcourse its going to take longer for people to read a novel..  but atleast the novel tells a better story and people want that. not some crap that gets thrown away..

so, tell me what actual FEATURES do you want to see in bitcoin-core.. name me 5 FEATURES

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Este Nuno
Legendary

Activity: 826

amarha

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 05:19:53 PM

Bitcoin is way too big to risk adding non-critical features at this point. There are literally billions at stake. Trying to push something through the political minefield that is Bitcoin development would be virtually impossible at this point.

JJB

Activity: 131
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 05:23:42 PM

so, tell me what actual FEATURES do you want to see in bitcoin-core.. name me 5 FEATURES

I'd like to know this too. A lot of the features devs or bagholders of alts proclaim as defining features aren't that great or revolutionary at all.
BitCoinDream
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1204

The revolution will be digital

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 05:29:52 PM

Features are always debatable. What is good for u, may not be good for me. So any change in the client may not win consensus and hence highly difficult to push technically.

kashish948 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 05:36:13 PM

you do realise that the crap coins seem faster to sync, not because the alt has better features but because of these 2 reasons
1. crap coin(altcoins) blocks are smaller because they are used less, with less transactions per block
2. crap coin(altcoins) dont have 5 years of large data to send.

analogy
if i write a novel, and you wrote a leaflet ofcourse its going to take longer for people to read a novel..  but atleast the novel tells a better story and people want that. not some crap that gets thrown away..

1. Voting System
2. Faster Blocks
3. Maybe an optional anon feature (Don't know how many will like this though)
4. Price, difficulty charts, etc. built into the client
5. POS maybe?
6. Something NEW! Why can't Bitcoin innovate further?

PS: To be honest, I realized there are not MANY features missing from BTC Wink
franky1
Legendary

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 05:36:46 PM

what people dont know is that if they know VB, PHP, JAVA. they can easily make their own GUI that interacts with bitcoinD.exe.... thus keeping the protocol but having their own fancy little GUI that has a different way of handling addressbooks or making it easier to form multisends, etc.

so guys it does not require the bitcoincore-dev's to make it pretty or user friendly. thats a job for you to do, or to offer bounties to anyone to make if you lack the skills of making GUI's

Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
franky1
Legendary

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 05:47:47 PM

1. Voting System
2. Faster Blocks
3. Maybe an optional anon feature (Don't know how many will like this though)
4. Price, difficulty charts, etc. built into the client
5. POS maybe?
6. Something NEW! Why can't Bitcoin innovate further?

PS: To be honest, I realized there are not MANY features missing from BTC Wink

1. already exists.. simply make a number of addresses post them and let people send dust to th addresses to choose the vote eg
vote for favourite fruit
oranges - 1Mad3Up4ddre55D0Not4ctua11y5endt0
apples - 14n0th3rMadeUpAddre5sD0ntSendTo
pears ... you get the idea

2. and in a year people will complain that 2 minutes is not fast enough.. helloo!!!! its not 3-5 business days, now is it

3. bitcoin is already pseudonomynous, until people are silly enough to make their addresses public
Bitcoin address: 18WqmLH66SG8AqzREDWEZ7pzrsCm297FX1

4. bitcoin is a payment system but nothing stopping you making your own GUi, i done it with VB.net without any issues even blockchain.info done it and made it publicly accessible rather than a program you have to download

5. POS!!!! are you kidding me. thats the lame brainchild of th rich, basically those that already own the large hoard of coins get richer. so satoshi gets 8% of each block, coinbase gets 6%, mark karpeles gets 6%, bitstamp gets 6% (all rough figures) all for doing jack shit and none of which helps secure bitcoin by having an ever increasing difficult encryption to crack.. POS is weak security and for the greedy pre-miners to profit from before the dump and run.. havnt you learnt that yet

6. bitcoin can innovate, also people can innovate themselves.. just look at the great stuff blockchain.info managed to do with the data

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: