Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 07:22:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: "Dell is now the world's largest ecommerce business to accept #bitcoin"  (Read 5722 times)
Marbit

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 05:38:14 PM

Wow, didn't realize what the people on TV chat were talking about... figured it was a stock thing. This is kind of awesome. Though I despise Dell.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
T.Stuart

Activity: 644

One Token to Move Anything Anywhere

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 05:38:43 PM

The news is barely out an hour or two.

Give it time to disseminate. Then give it time to sink in. It is pretty big.

And why the day after the Bitlicence announcement? It's not by coincidence. More news coming shortly unless I'm mistaken.

███████████████▄▄▄                     ▄█▄     ▀█████▄                     ▄█████▀
████████████████████▄                ▄█████▄     ▀█████▄                 ▄█████▀
              ▀▀█████▄             ▄█████████▄     ▀█████▄             ▄█████▀
                 █████▌          ▄█████▀ ▀█████▄     ▀█████▄         ▄█████▀
                 ▐█████        ▄█████▀     ▀█████▄     ▀█████▄     ▄█████▀
                 █████▌      ▄█████▀         ▀█████▄     ▀█████▄ ▄█████▀
              ▄▄█████▀     ▄█████▀     ▄█▄     ▀█████▄     ▀█████████▀
████████████████████▀    ▄█████▀     ▄█████▄     ▀█████▄     ▀█████▀
███████████████▀▀▀     ▄█████▀     ▄█████████▄     ▀█████▄     ▀█▀
                                    ▀███████▀
                                      ▀███▀
                                        ▀
▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
.◆ ◆ ◆ ONE TOKEN TO MOVE ANYTHING ANYWHERE ◆ ◆ ◆.
▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁
Chalkbot
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 05:40:08 PM

Man, it must be embarrassing being a tech company and having Dell beating you to the punch. How many are scrambling right now?
Marbit

Activity: 686

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 05:41:26 PM

The news is barely out an hour or two.

Give it time to disseminate. Then give it time to sink in. It is pretty big.

And why the day after the Bitlicence announcement? It's not by coincidence. More news coming shortly unless I'm mistaken.

Well, notice after Huobi hit the .5 retrace, the news hit and for the last 2 hours rebounded quite strongly. Might have something to do with it. Or maybe just coincidence.
jcoin200

Activity: 504

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 05:43:45 PM

Man, it must be embarrassing being a tech company and having Dell beating you to the punch. How many are scrambling right now?

Should be fun to see more large companies starting to accept BTC. Probably a good time to buy right now, cause price could start jumping up soon!
Zangelbert Bingledack
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 06:06:22 PM

This is huge. They will also be offering a discount for bitcoin purchases. 10%+ discounts for using BTC is what's going to drive consumer adoption.

Amazing.  Just to clarify, it looks as though the 10% discount is only good for the purchase of an Alienware complete system.  They aren't giving a 10% discount for all bitcoin purchases.  But this is definitely major.

Haha! They probably figure that if there's one market segment that can actually afford Alienware computers, it would be (Bitcoin) early adopters. Grin

Yup, I think they understand the dishoard-spending theory, wherein most bitcoin purchases are made when the price rises,* simply because people start to feel like they have too many bitcoins and not enough traditional assets. Instead of selling some coins on exchange, wiring to bank, paying with credit card, then paying off the credit card with a check, they can just use the coins directly. It saves on fees, counterparty risk, time, and hassle.

Now since they know people are spending bitcoins primarily because their Bitcoin holdings just got to be "big money" from the holder's perspective, of course relatively luxury items are going to be on the table. Smart discount strategy.

*Deflation causes spending, completely in the face of all Keynesian wisdom. P.S., this also invalidates the concerns that "spending bitcoins with merchants will depress the price" - nope, they were going to be sold on exchange anyway.
World

Activity: 743

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 06:36:25 PM

Very impressive web traffic
http://www.similarweb.com/website/dell.com

Supporting people with beautiful creative ideas. Bitcoin is because of the developers,exchanges,merchants,miners,investors,users,machines and blockchain technologies work together.
trackermut

Activity: 62
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 06:42:10 PM

Great news and Well done Dell hope this also applies to Dell Uk if so sons getting a new XPS for Uni.

Interesting to  see if this payment method will be adopted for Dells corporate users, could just be the nudge some business need for adopting Bitcoin  payments.
siggy

Activity: 381
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 06:46:04 PM

Interesting to  see if this payment method will be adopted for Dells corporate users, could just be the nudge some business need for adopting Bitcoin  payments.

This is what I'm most interested in...  Next time Overstock needs to upgrade servers.. are they going to go to Dell, and can they use BTC to pay?   If this is a Yes & Yes, we will finally start seeing companies holding on to BTC instead of insta-converting immediately at time of sale.

Sigg
ThatDGuy

Activity: 728

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 07:13:05 PM

This is what I'm most interested in...  Next time Overstock needs to upgrade servers.. are they going to go to Dell, and can they use BTC to pay?   If this is a Yes & Yes, we will finally start seeing companies holding on to BTC instead of insta-converting immediately at time of sale.

Sigg

My guess is that if they are willing to give big % discounts to customers who use BTC, they would be just as likely to encourage use to corporate customers as well.

Of course the significant discounts could just be a way to try and get current BTC enthusiasts to buy along with the announcement... we will see.  Exciting times regardless!
Wary

Activity: 798

Who's there?

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 09:25:25 PM

At last. It's the first company I actually heard of before they started taking bitcoins.   Grin

Fairplay medal of dnaleor's trading simulator. Smiley
BitchicksHusband

Activity: 378
Merit: 255

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 10:43:36 PM

At last. It's the first company I actually heard of before they started taking bitcoins.   Grin

You've never heard of Expedia?  What country do you live in?

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
BitchicksHusband

Activity: 378
Merit: 255

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 10:44:07 PM

This is what I'm most interested in...  Next time Overstock needs to upgrade servers.. are they going to go to Dell, and can they use BTC to pay?   If this is a Yes & Yes, we will finally start seeing companies holding on to BTC instead of insta-converting immediately at time of sale.

Sigg

Overstock already holds 10% of their bitcoin sales in bitcoin.

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
picolo

Activity: 1022

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 10:47:56 PM

Haha exactly

Hopefully many more known companies will come, we are still growing strong
AmDD
Legendary

Activity: 1027
Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 10:53:53 PM

TigerDirect or Newegg either? You must not mine!  Tongue

But yeah, most of the companies I had never heard of or never dealt with personally.

BTC tip jar: 18EKpbrcXxbpzAZv3T58ccGcVis7W7JR9w
LTC tip jar: Lgp8ERykAgx6Q8NdMqpi5vnVoUMD2hYn2a
Wary

Activity: 798

Who's there?

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 12:28:54 AM

Never heard of them. By the name I would guess that these guys are doing door-to-door encyclopedia selling. "Ex" suggests that the encyclopedias are second-hand Smiley
Yes, I live far away from civilization. Smiley

Fairplay medal of dnaleor's trading simulator. Smiley
abacus

Activity: 618

a clockwork miner

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 02:35:26 AM

I think that the following graph is pretty self-explanatory about the impact of this news:

Graph taken from http://www.coindesk.com/computer-giant-dell-now-accepts-bitcoin/
maker88

Activity: 336

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 02:44:00 AM

Just some simple math... Two thousand early adopters spend 50 BTC each on Dell hardware.
Result: 100k extra BTC sold on exchanges, triggering a healthy capitulation.  Cheesy

is this a joke and I'm just being dumb? why would someone spend 30 grand on dell computers?
Benjig

Activity: 462

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 04:10:42 AM

And why do you think they had wait until dell accepts it to buy hardware? Lol, they spent what they wanted to spend long ago
derpinheimer
Legendary

Activity: 896

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 04:11:12 AM

Just some simple math... Two thousand early adopters spend 50 BTC each on Dell hardware.
Result: 100k extra BTC sold on exchanges, triggering a healthy capitulation.  Cheesy

is this a joke and I'm just being dumb? why would someone spend 30 grand on dell computers?

I dont think he was joking, unfortunately.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: