Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 01:23:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Deleted  (Read 1514 times)
kingcolex (OP)

Activity: 254
Merit: 1258

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 05:26:38 PM
Last edit: October 04, 2023, 01:10:21 PM by kingcolex

Meuh6879
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 05:28:15 PM

use bank then wire to paypal account then virwox then SLL then BTC.
like me ... in Europe.  Tongue
Whitehouse

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 05:33:32 PM

IF you're that paranoid about using exchnages maybe you should avoid them and try a different route to getting bitcoins. You could try the marketplace here as many people sell bitcoins for all different types of payment and you don't have to use banks. You could also meet someone face to face off localbitcoins in your area.

AliceWonder

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 05:36:07 PM

Use CampBX - you can send them a USD money order to fund your account.

QuarkCoin - what I believe bitcoin was intended to be. On reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/QuarkCoin/
djjacket

Activity: 784
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 05:53:25 PM

So i used to have a coinbase account until i closed it and i closed it due to a fear that if an attack happened on coinbase that they could transfer funds from my bank account. Now i still would like to buy bitcoins but i can't seem to find a decent way to do that without a bank transfer. Should i just trust coinbase with my bank information? Say an unathorized wire happened would i be screwed or would the bank cover me? What is the best way to go about this and what are your experiences?

For reference i live in the US and use a major US bank.

You could open a separate bank account for dealing directly with CoinBase.  Only keep a small amount of cash in the account to limit your risks.  For US bitcoin users it is really the most convenient method to purchase bitcoins.

BitSimple is a great service if you just want to perform wire transaction instead of instant ACH's.  That is a push transfer instead of the pull ACH Coinbase performs.

I would also check out localbitcoins - might be able to establish a relationship with a local bitcoin seller if you requirements are low and you would like to do smaller cash-only transactions.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4228
Merit: 4490

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 05:55:00 PM

Money order seems like a tedious pain for the amount i like to spend often.

get your local "dollar"/"pound" store to accept bitcoin and tell the merchant you will buy the bitcoins off them..

usually their transactions are only a few dollars/pounds per transaction so its not like they will be ceiving hndreds at a time.. it may be slow but its a way of doing it 'cash in hand' so to speak.

plus ofcourse it helps the mainstreaming process and brings a bit of bitcoin knowledge to your town and may bnefit the merchant with a bit of extra local press/customers

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
miohtama

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2014, 06:09:10 PM

So i used to have a coinbase account until i closed it and i closed it due to a fear that if an attack happened on coinbase that they could transfer funds from my bank account. Now i still would like to buy bitcoins but i can't seem to find a decent way to do that without a bank transfer. Should i just trust coinbase with my bank information? Say an unathorized wire happened would i be screwed or would the bank cover me? What is the best way to go about this and what are your experiences?

There are numerious ways: PayPal, MoneyPak, cash, etc.

Buy bitcoins online in United States

Buying bitcoins is 100% safe with escrow like one on LocalBitcoins. Selling Bitcoins is more risky as you accepting bank transfers from unknown parties in internet.
jcoin200

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 06:57:49 PM

Find someone local selling BTC, or hypothetically you could but loaded physical coins on eBay, but I have had a very bad experience trying to acquire BTC through eBay.  It was a paper wallet though, I think a physical coin would be protected by the buyer protection program
Bitcoin Magazine

Activity: 252

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 06:59:37 PM

NASDAQ:  COIN in just a few months Grin

i am here.
wayouttheredude

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 07:33:35 PM

Money order seems like a tedious pain for the amount i like to spend often.

get your local "dollar"/"pound" store to accept bitcoin and tell the merchant you will buy the bitcoins off them..

usually their transactions are only a few dollars/pounds per transaction so its not like they will be ceiving hndreds at a time.. it may be slow but its a way of doing it 'cash in hand' so to speak.

plus ofcourse it helps the mainstreaming process and brings a bit of bitcoin knowledge to your town and may bnefit the merchant with a bit of extra local press/customers

I like this idea as I live in a bit of a small city in the US deep in fly over area of the country. This approach might help expand Bitcoin acceptance and should be far less expensive than a cryptocurrency ATM.
bridgesro

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 07:46:29 PM

You could open a separate bank account for dealing directly with CoinBase.  Only keep a small amount of cash in the account to limit your risks.  For US bitcoin users it is really the most convenient method to purchase bitcoins.

I think this might be your best bet, TC. You can use the same bank you use now and open a second account with them. Any attack on Coinbase would only subject that one account at the bank; your main account would still be safe.

With two accounts at the same bank, you could easily transfer funds online from one account to the other to purchase Bitcoins through Coinbase. Doing this all online would make it easier to transfer only the amount needed for your purchase, so you won't have to worry about having leftover money in your account that could be taken if the account were compromised.
waldox

Activity: 252

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2014, 11:19:52 PM

use localbitcoins
or goto your local bitcoin meetup to buy sell bitcoins (meetup.com)

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
   * Dental Hygiene Cleaning in Toronto & Mississauga accepts Bitcoin  * Downtown Toronto Real Estate Realtor Blog & News * Toronto House Evaluation * Toronto Dental Cleaning Hygiene Centre
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Cicero2.0

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

★☆★Bitin.io★☆★

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 04:40:19 AM

I have a dedicated account just for purchasing bitcoin. I only keep money in there to wait for the ACH withdrawal from coin base. This also keeps my accounts at my regular bank from being closed due to bitcoin activity.  

ANTIcentralized

Activity: 210

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 05:00:24 AM

IF you're that paranoid about using exchnages maybe you should avoid them and try a different route to getting bitcoins. You could try the marketplace here as many people sell bitcoins for all different types of payment and you don't have to use banks. You could also meet someone face to face off localbitcoins in your area.
Local bitcoins isn't a great option for me do to not a lot of people in my area sell them and the ones do up charge a lot. I like to buy a smaller amount (around 20$ every other week) and store them up. Now the other poster was saying the virWoX may be the way to go and looking at it, it may seem safe.
virWoX will likely charge you a higher markup then LBC will.

Unless you are doing a in face to face trade you do not need to use someone locally on LBC
jonanon

Activity: 154

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 05:17:44 AM

This has been my problem from the start, I want to use debit card to buy BTC, not via Virwox but from an exchange at the right price, until this becomes the case then it will hinder Bitcoins development.
Tenarlty

Activity: 297
Merit: 1

MINTER

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 06:36:18 AM

So i used to have a coinbase account until i closed it and i closed it due to a fear that if an attack happened on coinbase that they could transfer funds from my bank account.
Wow, didn't know before that this is possible! Now I have a really big opportunities.

MINTER - WE MINT COINS AND CREATE THE INTERNET OF MONEY
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
https://www.minter.networ
jc01480

Activity: 854
Merit: 500

Nope..

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 07:06:27 AM

Anyplace that sells BTC on a credit card is (highly) likely a scam or they're reselling your cc info.  If you do this, make sure and sign yourself up for that credit monitoring service beforehand.  

Edit: Lifelock I think it is?  Not sure, but good service.
jonanon

Activity: 154

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 02:48:30 PM

Anyplace that sells BTC on a credit card is (highly) likely a scam or they're reselling your cc info.  If you do this, make sure and sign yourself up for that credit monitoring service beforehand.  

Edit: Lifelock I think it is?  Not sure, but good service.

That's why we need trusted, regulated exchanges that verify all their members, there should then be no problem using credit card or debit card.

As I have said before not being able to using a card payment to easily obtain Bitcoin will only hinder Bitcoin going forward.

If I wanted to change GBP to USD I could do so via an online currency exchange company, the post office for examplem and pay with a credit card, it should be no difference for Bitcoin.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: