Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 05:03:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A quick settings question for users of Code::Blocks  (Read 786 times)
bridgesro (OP)

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 08:44:38 PM

I've just started learning C programming, using Code::Blocks as my IDE. I've got a quick question about the program settings I'm hoping someone can help me with.

Whenever I start typing in a printf, this little box pops in with some text I don't understand. It looks like an auto-complete feature or maybe a code suggestion, but it's very distracting since I'm still new to learning the language and it blocks parts of the code I've already typed in. For what it's worth, this is the string I'm referring to:

printf(): _CRTIMP int __cdec1 __MINGW_NOTHROW

Is there a way to turn this off? I've gone through the editor settings, but I either a) don't see it in there, or b) don't recognize it as such (a lot of the settings I don't understand quite yet).

Thanks to anyone who can help me out! It's a dumb little issue, but I figure it can't hurt to ask.
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2014, 08:50:57 PM

C programming? I use codeblocks myself but I'm not 100% sure how well it supports it, everybody uses C++ now and I know for sure that works, sometimes though if you're using something you need to make a console application and manually link to the libraries if you even need any. You should also post up your code to make sure that everybody can see whether it's not just a classic mistake that's causing the error, I've had this loads of times where I've been struggling with a problem and it's either one line of code or me misreading a section that's caused the problem and I just haven't seen it.
bridgesro (OP)

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 09:18:54 PM

I don't think it's an error. I'm still at the bare basics level and the example code runs fine. Here is a screenshot of what I'm talking about.

It looks like a code suggestion or something similar. It usually pops up over code I've written or blocking the view of what I'm trying to write. It's just a small annoyance more than anything, but it'd be helpful if there's a way to turn it off so it doesn't distract me.
Lethn
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2014, 09:25:09 PM

What is this example trying to teach you exactly? Oh wait, nevermind, I read the comments.
bridgesro (OP)

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 09:28:09 PM

Escape sequences and conversion characters. Very, very early level stuff, lol.
Lethn
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2014, 09:30:16 PM

That's something I need to read up on still, I've only been learning stuff that helps me with games Tongue lol I will say though that coming from other programmers I've talked with there are notoriously bad tutorials/books out there and there doesn't really seem to be a need to learn C that much.

I recommend you get http://it-ebooks.info/book/1256/ and learn from that, I found the book really useful.
bridgesro (OP)

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 09:33:44 PM

Yeah, C isn't my long-term plan for programming. I'm going to move to C++ soon; this book is mostly to get me familiar with general C functions/commands and terminology first. That book you posted is actually on my buy list for when I head to Barnes & Noble tomorrow Tongue
Lethn
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2014, 09:35:40 PM

pfft just download the pdf! Tongue but yeah it's very good, it teaches you all the programming vocabulary and everything and I'm telling you, professional vocabulary has been the bane of my learning since I discovered it you have to stop people and actually get them to explain what certain words is otherwise they'll just carry on and assume you know it all.
u9y42
Legendary

Activity: 2562
Merit: 1071

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 11:15:28 PM

I've just started learning C programming, using Code::Blocks as my IDE. I've got a quick question about the program settings I'm hoping someone can help me with.

Whenever I start typing in a printf, this little box pops in with some text I don't understand. It looks like an auto-complete feature or maybe a code suggestion, but it's very distracting since I'm still new to learning the language and it blocks parts of the code I've already typed in. For what it's worth, this is the string I'm referring to:

printf(): _CRTIMP int __cdec1 __MINGW_NOTHROW

Is there a way to turn this off? I've gone through the editor settings, but I either a) don't see it in there, or b) don't recognize it as such (a lot of the settings I don't understand quite yet).

Thanks to anyone who can help me out! It's a dumb little issue, but I figure it can't hurt to ask.

I don't know what version of Code::Blocks you're using, but at least in version 13.12 you can disable code completion in: Settings -> Editor... -> Code Completion (the 9th down) -> Code Completion Tab -> Disable code-completion. Alternatively, instead of disabling everything, you can just disable the "Automatically launch when typed # letters", which is a little further down.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: