Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 02:41:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Caution w/ DWOLLA: You have been approved for INSTANT!  (Read 2261 times)
Stephen Gornick (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
March 20, 2012, 09:56:25 AM
Last edit: March 20, 2012, 10:22:33 PM by Stephen Gornick

Caution.

Dwolla customers are receiving the following mail message from Dwolla:

Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 10:20:48 -0700
Subject: You have been approved for INSTANT!

Hi [customer],

A spot has opened up for you to apply for Instant!

To begin, please follow these steps:
1.) Click here or head to Dwolla.com and login!
2.) Under Add/Remove Features in your account, apply for Instant.
3.) You will be notified in real-time if your application has been approved.
BONUS: Have an Apple or Android device? Go download the Dwolla mobile application to get money on your phone in an instant.

Reminder: Dwolla Instant will ask you to verify your identity by providing your social security number, as well as will require a check of your credit. This is a 'Know Your Customer' requirement for such services.

To view your latest account activity please login at https://www.dwolla.com.

What has been reported happening is that once you've applied for "Instant" your account gets locked and you are required to submit identification.

Once your identity is verified only then is the account unlocked.  Yourm application is then submitted for a third party credit check.  So the title of the message is misleading, and the fact that you will be locked out of your own account is not communicated at all.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2012, 03:57:48 PM

Perhaps, this can be documented so that TradeHill may be able to use this info in their defense.

~Bruno~
NothinG

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 20, 2012, 03:59:55 PM

Well, they are loaning you money.
I don't see this being a problem. Though, it should be documented.

BrightAnarchist
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 853
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 20, 2012, 04:27:46 PM

Thanks for the warning
Raize
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1419
Merit: 1015

View Profile
March 20, 2012, 08:25:46 PM

I have gotten this email but not done this yet.

Are there any lawyers holding a class action lawsuit against Dwolla? I've got a number of records and correspondence I've kept with them that make these practices that they've been doing seem dubious in nature. Especially since they are responsible for at least a hundred in late fees and fines for me over the last few months. I can't even move any amount of money in less than a week's timeframe through them anymore.
Stephen Gornick (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 20, 2012, 10:18:00 PM

Aren't you just a few blocks away?  Maybe ask Ben to meet up for lunch and to bring some $100 bills so you can cash out.  :-)

I can't even move any amount of money in less than a week's timeframe through them anymore.

I've been surprised to see transactions where I want to add funds from my bank take multiple days before the ACH withdrawal hits my bank even.  Maybe that's just a precaution they impose now for us with bitcoin-related transactions.  [/me puts tinfoil hat back on].

I thought their FiSync would have given us a type of same-day-ACH by now. Haven't heard much about it at all in the past half year.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Raize
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1419
Merit: 1015

View Profile
March 22, 2012, 04:40:38 PM

Aren't you just a few blocks away?  Maybe ask Ben to meet up for lunch and to bring some $100 bills so you can cash out.  :-)

Yes, but I want to go in there and smack his bald head for the way he treated Tradehill, honestly.

My cousin has been pressuring me to go to one of Veridian Credit Union's (parent bank of Dwolla, basically) biggest competitors, WestBank, and pitch an idea to steal Bitcoin customers from Dwolla with faster and more secure deposits straight into Bitcoin for amounts under $500, even maybe open up an office not too far away from them since they are so insistent on staying in Iowa.

I think I'd do it, too, just cause I hate the Dwolla media wh@&$ing.

I've been surprised to see transactions where I want to add funds from my bank take multiple days before the ACH withdrawal hits my bank even.  Maybe that's just a precaution they impose now for us with bitcoin-related transactions.  [/me puts tinfoil hat back on].

I thought their FiSync would have given us a type of same-day-ACH by now. Haven't heard much about it at all in the past half year.

Don't get me wrong, they got a good team, and Ben comes up with great ideas, but the implementation of them has been very shaky at best (dropping the $.25 fee for transfers under $10 was the single most awesome thing they've done, and will cement Dwolla's use locally). It's just that they seem to overly enjoy the local media status they have acquired, despite being questionably-successful. Everyone local gets to ignore these long wait times, I'm certain it's because we're Bitcoin-related that we have to deal with them.

Frankly, I think MtGox worked out a deal with them that gave them a competitive advantage over Tradehill to begin with. Tradehill's biggest mistake was accepting Dwolla without working with them first.
Stephen Gornick (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 22, 2012, 06:28:29 PM

https://twitter.com/#!/dwolla/status/182230704237711362

In case no one caught it earlier this week.

Thanks for that -- I hadn't seen it.   SMF mangled your URL so am going to repost it:

By @Dwolla
Recent Instant email invites = incorrect Subject Line: Should be "Spot has opened for Instant" not "You've been approved" Support@dwolla.com
- https://twitter.com/#!/dwolla/status/182230704237711362

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Etlase2

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 26, 2012, 04:29:29 AM

how has dwolla gone from freedom of money to paypal 2.0 so quickly is amazingly sad

NothinG

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 26, 2012, 04:30:57 AM

how has dwolla gone from freedom of money to paypal 2.0 so quickly is amazingly sad
I think you missed what is going on.
Dwolla is still the amazing as it was when we learned her.
Just, made a mistake about an email.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: