Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 05:56:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin bought at ATM = Cold storage?  (Read 1946 times)
bangi

Activity: 68
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 23, 2014, 07:38:22 PM

Better make sure those ATM dont have corrupt employees and logging private keys, once its a good enough balance.
itsAj

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 23, 2014, 08:09:14 PM

Your private key may have been online. Since the ATM is not yours, you cannot guarantee that they would not record the private key. Since they need internet connection to send bitcoins, they might create the key online too. The machine might be infected with malware and your private key might be stolen.
I think this is very good advice. Generally speaking cold storage is considered to be BTC that is in an address/wallet that only you have ever controlled. Since the ATM operator obviously had to provide you with the private key, they had to have been in possession of it at one point. I would also not doubt that they would keep a record of the private key for customer service type reasons, for example if someone can prove they bought BTC from the ATM but the receipt was destroyed, they could send the purchased BTC to an address of your choice. 
bitnoteblock

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 23, 2014, 09:19:55 PM

If you bought bitcoins through an ATM be sure to send them to an offline adress that you previously put in cold storage.
Milkcookie

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 23, 2014, 10:01:14 PM

It would be a bit counter productive to steal from the customers of the ATM's. If it ever comes out into the public, that the private key was compromised on the ATM side, the company would be ruined. And believe me, the effort to get these ATM's in the field, and running, will be enough motivation to keep them honest.

BUT you get dishonest employees and it could be hacked, so it's better to get the coins to a safe cold storage, too eliminate the human factor in this scenario.

And how you would proof that your key got stolen from the atm?
Sonny

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 24, 2014, 03:57:32 PM

Generally speaking cold storage is considered to be BTC that is in an address/wallet that only you have ever controlled.

Not only that.
For cold storage, your address should be created in a machine without internet connection.
Plus, your wallet should never be placed in any online machines.
itsAj

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 24, 2014, 07:38:05 PM

Generally speaking cold storage is considered to be BTC that is in an address/wallet that only you have ever controlled.
Not only that.
For cold storage, your address should be created in a machine without internet connection.
Plus, your wallet should never be placed in any online machines.
I would say it is more important to have your cold storage address be one that you created with your own computer. I think that using a ATM address as cold storage is very much similar to using an address that was created on a website that creates addresses on the server side (instead of the client/browser side).
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: