Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 04:30:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: btc guild unlucky of late?  (Read 4174 times)
DrG
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1035

View Profile
July 30, 2014, 05:33:14 AM

variance!! do I win a prize?  Grin

Ah... regarding this hearsay about a large hasher withholding blocks, I was not aware of that but as I said at the beginning of this thread I was starting to wonder if it was something like that going on.

Don't get me wrong, I love the pool's site, best interface around and very clear, plus the operators at least appear to be very transparent.  It was just that terrible luck they had a few days ago that left me thinking WTF??

Well the pool was running close to 105.9% luck if I recall for their 3 month average before the sh*t hit the fan in May (when the withholding attack started supposedly).  At that time nobody complained that the pool might be cheating, although people did allege that in the past back in 2011.

So when it's up almost 7% (106-99) nobody complains.  When it's down 7% something is wrong.

The withholding attack is not hearsay BTW, the person was identified.  But he states his custom version of CGMiner was at fault.  The thing is it could have happened at any pool, and some pools don't even bother with the nice stats. Too bad the withholding didn't go on at ghash.io lol.  The same "attack" also occurred on Eligius and the guy is asking for payment which Eligius held once they discovered the problem.  You can check the pools subforum for this info.

Eleuthria might not be eligible for sainthood but he's one of the best pool ops around.

The problem with the withholding event is very simple it now is true it can be done.

If anyone with a copy of that custom cgminer wants to attack any pool and make it hard to detect they can.  Since cex.io is so big they have the ability to toss 2ph to 4ph in the shitter on any pool they want. 

the only defense for a with holding attack is solo mining.   

But it should be noted that anybody who tries to do that would also be harming their own income unless the pool is paying PPS.  If you're mining on PPLNS you will be hurting your own income stream.
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cyberpinoy

Activity: 1008
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2014, 06:10:41 AM

Could you make such a comment about Slush's pool? Maybe your "inverse luck" will push out a bunch of blocks there!  Smiley

+1

That 28 hour round on the 29th was starting to really make me mad. Right after 3 other 12 hour rounds the previous 2 days. I came close to dropping out and leaving slushs.

I used to mine on BTC however it just seems the payout is half or less than what i get in other pools. I also see a lot of others complaining about that. I am not sure if its the shared mining or what it is, but for me its not worth the electric to mine on BTC right now Sad

xstr8guy

Activity: 784
Merit: 1004

Glow Stick Dance!

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 07:58:30 AM

Could you make such a comment about Slush's pool? Maybe your "inverse luck" will push out a bunch of blocks there!  Smiley

+1

That 28 hour round on the 29th was starting to really make me mad. Right after 3 other 12 hour rounds the previous 2 days. I came close to dropping out and leaving slushs.

I used to mine on BTC however it just seems the payout is half or less than what i get in other pools. I also see a lot of others complaining about that. I am not sure if its the shared mining or what it is, but for me its not worth the electric to mine on BTC right now Sad

What do you mean by "BTC"? It's typically used as an abbreviation for "bitcoin". Do you mean "BTCG" (BTCGuild)?

Off topic but as long as I'm mentioning abbreviations...
I see people use BTT as an abbreviation for BitcoinTalk. Shouldn't that really be BCT? Drives me nuts, lol.
cyberpinoy

Activity: 1008
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2014, 01:58:01 PM

+1

What do you mean by "BTC"? It's typically used as an abbreviation for "bitcoin". Do you mean "BTCG" (BTCGuild)?

Off topic but as long as I'm mentioning abbreviations...
I see people use BTT as an abbreviation for BitcoinTalk. Shouldn't that really be BCT? Drives me nuts, lol.

Sorry yes I was talking about BTCGuild not bitcoins LOL. I guess they and slushes is having some crappy luck

Slushes
July 26th 12 hour round
July 27th 12 hour round (these 2 were back to back)
July 28th 12 hour round
July 29th 28 hour round
July 30th 15 hour round (We are still working on this round)

Something seems fishy to me. I have never seen luck like this on slushes except when he was getting started. Not this bad.

Billbags

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

Brainwashed this way

View Profile
August 01, 2014, 01:47:05 AM
Last edit: August 01, 2014, 04:46:52 AM by Billbags

I recall January/February having some long blocks and until slush changed the calculations of average hasrates to 60 minutes and 5 minute readings, things were slow for awhile. If I would disconnect it would take 18-24 hours to build your hash rate on the pool side. It's worked great for preventing pool hopping, but the pool wasn't growing because it seems people just arnt really studying past post and knowledge bases provided so they can understand what is going on with these pools and Bitcoin in general so they didn't understand it took 24 hours for their miners to build up correct speed. But it's all good. BTC Guild is a steady payout, there is always something everyday. I use it for some of my miners and is stable for my type of mining needs(set it and forget it). It's just luck, it comes and goes.

Listen: meat beat manifesto ~ Edge of no control (pt.1)
Read:"He who controls the past controls the future. He who controls the present controls the past." ~ George Orwell
Think: http://unenumerated.blogspot.com/2014/12/the-dawn-of-trustworthy-computing.html
DrG
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1035

View Profile
August 01, 2014, 06:01:48 AM

Ghash has had 4 hour blocks before - that's 1/3 of the network not finding a block for 4 hours!

Last year when BTC Guild was close to 40% I think we had a 7 hour block - 40% of the network twiddling thumbs for 7 hours.

It happens - it comes under the concept of variance and Poisson distribution.
jammers

Activity: 290
Merit: 262

Is maith liom bitcoin

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2014, 03:38:00 PM

I've noticed things have picked up a bit in the last week, especially now that the pool speed has gone from a low of about 8.5k back up to 12k. It took a little while to kick in, but the pool has been fairly consistently, bar a couple of very unlucky days, getting about 1 block every 1.5-2 hours on average. Some times there's been none, followed by two or three in fairly short succession.

my earnings have been going up and down, as the pool speed dropped, i was getting more per block on fewer blocks, but now i'm getting less on more blocks, and earnings are going up again for me.

██████
███▀▀▀
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███▄▄▄