Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 09:11:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Dell, China, and Bitcoin  (Read 3915 times)
kashish948
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 20, 2014, 07:06:11 AM

very very suprising the preic did not react to it!  Angry i remeber the rally when DISH started accepting btc, why nothing when a 4x times bigger company does the same?
has it been assumed that at some point everyone will acccept BTC and that has been factored in the price?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Benjig

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 20, 2014, 07:09:18 AM

very very suprising the preic did not react to it!  Angry i remeber the rally when DISH started accepting btc, why nothing when a 4x times bigger company does the same?
has it been assumed that at some point everyone will acccept BTC and that has been factored in the price?

One thing is that a company starts accepting bitcoin and another is that people use that method to pay, we need a detonator to bring people into this payment system.
kashish948
Legendary

Activity: 1596

View Profile
July 20, 2014, 07:26:03 AM

One thing is that a company starts accepting bitcoin and another is that people use that method to pay, we need a detonator to bring people into this payment system.

the problem is BTC is actually present only in the US (maybe China as well to some extent). But other than that, BTC is not really popular in majority of the countries!
novacn

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 20, 2014, 08:03:35 AM

Imho, as the bitcoin ecosystem becomes more mature, it tends to be increasely immune to news (Yes, not to groundbreaking ones), regardless of its positive or negative content.

huobi_network

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 20, 2014, 01:04:03 PM

Dell accepting bitcoin could be MUCH bigger than you think

http://ww4.sinaimg.cn/bmiddle/6d9e93aajw1eii0tf52tgj20hs0h6ac5.jpg

Andy, a Chinese, shared his experience on Weibo (Chinese Twitter). With the 10% discount, he bought an Alienware 14 (http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-14/pd.aspx) for 6442CNY in bitcoin

The same item is selling at 11999CNY in China: http://item.jd.com/1107676.html . He saved 46%

You may wonder why he couldn't buy it from dell.com directly before. Due to strict foreign exchange control, Chinese people could hardly have a "foreign currency credit card", and usual credit cards could not pay bills in USD or other foreign currency. As Dell now accepts bitcoin, Chinese people could order from dell.com directly, asking them to deliver to the US address of Haitao ( http://www.haitao.com/ ), who will then ship the item to China.

This is only the beginning.

But normal Joe Blogg's Chinese can't get Bitcoin easily.

46% discount should provide enough incentive for Joe Bloggs to open an account on huobi or okcoin. Despite China has banned bitcoin 10 times, I can tell you that, based on my first hand experience, Chinese people could still deposit fiat to exchanges in less than 30 minutes.

That is correct.
boraf

Activity: 315
Merit: 103

View Profile
July 20, 2014, 01:49:32 PM

Andy, a Chinese, shared his experience on Weibo (Chinese Twitter). With the 10% discount, he bought an Alienware 14 (http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-14/pd.aspx) for 6442CNY in bitcoin

The same item is selling at 11999CNY in China: http://item.jd.com/1107676.html . He saved 46%

You may wonder why he couldn't buy it from dell.com directly before. Due to strict foreign exchange control, Chinese people could hardly have a "foreign currency credit card", and usual credit cards could not pay bills in USD or other foreign currency. As Dell now accepts bitcoin, Chinese people could order from dell.com directly, asking them to deliver to the US address of Haitao ( http://www.haitao.com/ ), who will then ship the item to China.

46% discount should provide enough incentive for Joe Bloggs to open an account on huobi or okcoin. Despite China has banned bitcoin 10 times, I can tell you that, based on my first hand experience, Chinese people could still deposit fiat to exchanges in less than 30 minutes.

That is correct.

Care to give out detail on how an average citizen can do fiat deposit?

What about withdraw?

jl2012 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1097

View Profile
July 20, 2014, 03:30:38 PM

That is correct.

Care to give out detail on how an average citizen can do fiat deposit?

What about withdraw?

Exchange has a list of authorized middlemen. Client sends fiat to a middleman with bank transfer, and the middleman will deposit CNY to the client's exchange account. It could be done within 30 minutes

Withdraw is same as before. Nothing has changed.

Donation address: 374iXxS4BuqFHsEwwxUuH3nvJ69Y7Hqur3 (Bitcoin ONLY)
LRDGENPLYrcTRssGoZrsCT1hngaH3BVkM4 (LTC)
PGP: D3CC 1772 8600 5BB8 FF67 3294 C524 2A1A B393 6517
jl2012 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 20, 2014, 03:32:19 PM

This is true:

People have to transfer their money to a middle man first.

This is NOT true:
It is still pretty hard to get money into exchange markets like Huobi, OKcoin and BTCChina.

Dalmar

Activity: 1092
Merit: 500

Life is short, practice empathy in your life

View Profile
July 20, 2014, 03:45:55 PM

the problem is BTC is actually present only in the US (maybe China as well to some extent). But other than that, BTC is not really popular in majority of the countries!

Per capita it is a lot more popular in Northern European countries (Sweden, Netherlands etc.) and Israel than China or the US.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄
▄▄██████████████████████▄
 █████████████▀█████████████▄
▄█████████████▀ ▄█▀ ███████████
▄██████████      ▀▀  ████████████
▄█████████████   ▄▄▄   ▀▀██████████
█████████████▀   ████▄   ▀█████████▄
█████████████    ▀▀█▀▀   ▄██████████
████████████▀   ▄▄      ████████████
████████████   ▄████▄    ███████████
█████████      ██████    ██████████
█████████▄▄            ▄██████████
▀██████████  ██  ▄▄▄▄████████████
▀█████████▄▄█▄ ███████████████▀
▀██████████████████████████▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀▀██████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

B i t c o i n t a l k   ▄▄▄▄▄

DONATION CAMPAIGN

▄
                                   ▄██
               ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄           ▄███
             ▄█████████▄        ████
▄▄▄         ▄████████████     ▄████▀
 ▀██▄▄      █████████████   ▄█████▀
  ▀█████▄   █████████████  ▄██████
    ▀█████▄  ███████████▀▄███████
     ▀██████▄▄▀▀██████▀ ████████▀
       ████████▄      ▄████████▀
        █████████▄  ▄██████████
         █████████████████████
          ████████████████████
          ███████████████████
          ███████████████████
          ██████████████▀▀▀
          ███████▀▀▀▀
          ▀▀▀▀

BE A HOPE
FOR A LIVABLE WORLD
▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄
▄▄███████████████████▄▄
▄▄█████████████████████████▄▄
▄███████████████████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▀██████████
███████████▀       ▀█▀       ▀█████████
███████████▀                    █████████
███████████                     █████████
█████████████                   ███████████
██████████████▄               ▄████████████
████████████████▄▄▄         ▄█▀▀   ████████
███████████▀▀     ▀▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄██     ▄████████
██████▀█▄                ▀▀▀█▄ ▄█████████
██████▄ █▄          ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄███████████
██████▄ ▀█                ▄████████████
██████▄  ██████▄▄▄    ▄██████████████
▀██████▄██████████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████████████████▀
▀▀█████████████████████████▀▀
▀▀███████████████████▀▀
▀▀▀█████████▀▀▀

ONE

little

HELP CHANGES
EVERYTHING

..DONATE..
Tzupy
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1074

View Profile
July 20, 2014, 03:48:15 PM

Exchange has a list of authorized middlemen. Client sends fiat to a middleman with bank transfer, and the middleman will deposit CNY to the client's exchange account. It could be done within 30 minutes

Important question: can the middleman deposit more CNY into his own exchange account, or he already has the CNY in his account and only moves the required sum to the client's account?

Sometimes, if it looks too bullish, it's actually bearish
ajareselde
Legendary

Activity: 1722

Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin

View Profile
July 20, 2014, 04:54:35 PM

Only the beggining , yes, but keep in mind that gouvernment can just as easily simply make deposits to exchanges impossible.
It is a good start, allowing average person to gain little bit aditional discount, but i seriously doubt this will affect the price.
FUR11

Activity: 378

FURring bitcoin up since 1762

View Profile
July 20, 2014, 05:08:07 PM

I mean it's one more step and one more big company going the experimental way of accepting bitcoin. How many companies are just in for the media hype remains to be determined, but it's nevertheless a very important step for the self-fulfilling-prophecy theory that an increased adoption leads to an even higher adoption.
I just hope those companies don't just drop bitcoin anytime soon Undecided Have any done so, actually?

jl2012 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 20, 2014, 05:13:01 PM

Important question: can the middleman deposit more CNY into his own exchange account, or he already has the CNY in his account and only moves the required sum to the client's account?

It works like the MtGox USD code or the BTC-E USD code.

However, I suspect that some "middlemen" are actually employed by exchanges.

jl2012 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 20, 2014, 05:14:38 PM

I mean it's one more step and one more big company going the experimental way of accepting bitcoin. How many companies are just in for the media hype remains to be determined, but it's nevertheless a very important step for the self-fulfilling-prophecy theory that an increased adoption leads to an even higher adoption.
I just hope those companies don't just drop bitcoin anytime soon Undecided Have any done so, actually?

I couldn't see why they would drop bitcoin, as it costs them nothing to accept bitcoin.

FUR11

View Profile
July 20, 2014, 05:19:18 PM

I couldn't see why they would drop bitcoin, as it costs them nothing to accept bitcoin.

Well, if it stays drastically below your expectations (even for a rather experimental currency) you might just drop it just as well. It bitcoin still had a very bad image in the media or should it someday become obvious that it failed, you don't exactly want your name connected to it, do you? Wink

An amorous cow-herder

Activity: 322

View Profile
July 20, 2014, 05:22:55 PM

All it takes is for Coinbase or Bitpay to go bust and leaving the merchants with unpaid bills.
Not like anything similiar has ever happened with exchanges before.
FUR11

View Profile
July 20, 2014, 05:32:01 PM

All it takes is for Coinbase or Bitpay to go bust and leaving the merchants with unpaid bills.
Not like anything similiar has ever happened with exchanges before.

Yes, they are indeed one of the weak links when it comes to regular-businesses' bitcoin adoption. If they (who have an oligopoly on that kind of BTC-FIAT acceptance service) go bust and bitcoin hasn't already gained that much traction, many of their customers (the businesses) will be pretty upset and are just going to drop bitcoin acceptance and want to be done with it. This it a definitive risk for bitcoin adoption!

PinkRanger

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 20, 2014, 05:59:56 PM

there are several other countries that bitcoin is used in. Japan, Australia, Canada, Greece, cypress, Germany, France, England among others
2_Thumbs_Up

Activity: 323
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 20, 2014, 07:58:01 PM

Alienware is kind of overpriced to begin with though, and I assume a very niche product in China. I'd be interested to see what the price difference is for more "standard products".
azguard
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1001

Crypto-News.net: News from Crypto World

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 06:11:16 AM

there are several other countries that bitcoin is used in. Japan, Australia, Canada, Greece, cypress, Germany, France, England among others

Germany have law on bitcoin if i remember correctly they voted on it last year i think.

Something is bothering me if I, You, He, She any1 purchases some dell machine let say for 1.5BTC rounded price with 1000$.

From time of purchase to delivery let say that price dropped/or goes high.

What will happen will they return some found or we have to pay additionally?

▄▄▄██████▄▄▄
          ▄██████████████████▄
       ▄████████████████████████▄
 ▄▄  ▄████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████████▄
 ▀▀█████████████████████████████████▄
   ██████████████████████████████████
   ▀████████████████████████████████▀
    ▀██████████████████████████████▀