Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 03:20:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New Secure Brainwallet Service  (Read 1018 times)
benhc19170852 (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 07:26:46 PM

Bitcoinsarefree.com is a pretty new (I think) brainwallet generator, but what I like about it is that they give you a pre-generated passphrase if you want one, 14 characters, 7 letters and 7 numbers. According to the website this means it would take 48 thousand years for a hacker to get access to a wallet (although I'm not completely sure about this aspect).

Anyway, seems to be a nice new service, no coins stolen so far! But if you're going to get a wallet with them then obviously don't put huge amounts in a wallet as they are pretty new and we don't know if they are trustworthy or not!.

First post on bitcointalk, hope it was helpful.  Smiley BTC

grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 07:38:43 PM
Last edit: July 20, 2014, 12:36:26 AM by grue

password is generated server-side. 0/10

edit:
the passwords are also sent to the server to generate the address/private keys.

Do not use!

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
benhc19170852 (OP)

Activity: 2

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 07:49:58 PM

Yeah, that is a bit dodgy. I have an account with over 0.5BTC in it before I realised server-side but nothing taken. Test before you de-merit.

I was trying to think of something that rhymed with test but never mind. Smiley
williamj2543

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Get ready for PrimeDice Sig Campaign!

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2014, 07:52:49 PM

I would never trust this

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
Cryptopher
Legendary

Activity: 1789
Merit: 1008

Keep it dense, yeah?

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 08:04:31 PM

Yeah, that is a bit dodgy. I have an account with over 0.5BTC in it before I realised server-side but nothing taken. Test before you de-merit.

How about trial before denial? Lol.

I dunno about this site - seems like a likely way to lose some coin. Would seek alternatives before this.

redskins49

Activity: 67
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 08:11:01 PM

You should always have your private keys generated on the client size (meaning by your computer/browser)

Another problem is that this kind of brainwallet will be difficult/impossible to memorize, forcing you to write it down, so you might as well use a paper wallet.
wolfYella

Activity: 48

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 08:13:27 PM

Anyone trusting a service that generates private keys on the server side will always risk that the service will steal your coins sometime in the future. Even if the coins are not stolen right away, they could be taken later to wait for the user to put more coins in the address, or for more people to start using the service.
Benjig

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 08:16:13 PM

Yeah obviously they will not take funds at first day.. but they can take funds whetever they want, when they are high on funds, etc.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: