Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 05:44:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: massAPI (deepbit & slush)  (Read 11191 times)
qberty (OP)

Activity: 405
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 02, 2011, 04:36:38 AM
Last edit: May 03, 2011, 03:09:10 AM by qberty

Hi, i've developed a program that manipulates API's specifically for deepbit and slush.

Uses for this application (Windows only for now):

- Monitor mining status
- Make your own events

Now this application was designed for a global API in mind, meaning that I would like this application to expand on the available API's. For it to do so, it needs to be tested. I also need people to give me more API's they would like to monitor using this desktop application.

Here's a look.
Main Screen

Config Screen

Download 1.0 (Windows) - http://0m3ga.net/forum/downloads.php?do=file&id=6 About 1.5 MB

The main OS targets for this application are Windows, Linux, Mac OSX, and Android.

Depending on how popular this is, I will try my best to expand on it.

There are many bugs right now, but every function works as it was made.

I would like feedback for new API's and different layouts (current one is very minimalistic). This program actually doesn't have a refresh rate yet, but I want to know if a good amount of people would use it before I continue development on it for other platforms.

Current Bugs
- Slushs API is off
- graphic glitches

Things to do
- Add more API's not just bitcoin related. (MtGox, Mint, etc.)
- Add refresh rate
- Add events

Ideas
- Make this into a GUI based miner with a smaller footprint than any existing GUI based miner.
- Bitcoin Poker (I will definitely be making this if atleast 5 people want it. 5 Player per table minimum Cheesy)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
OVerLoRDI

Activity: 60
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 02, 2011, 06:52:57 AM

I'm getting a way wrong numbers for my confirmed and unconfirmed reward.

Shades

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 02, 2011, 07:02:14 AM

Looks promising. Just did a test with my deepbit API. All the values are correct. Some overstepping while expanding the settings window is visible though.
slush
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1097

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2011, 12:49:23 PM

Are sources available? I'm suspicious in tools like this, we already had virus in closed source tool for  Bitcoin wallet backups which sent wallet.dat over Internet.  Also, this is first post of tool author on this forum...

error

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 02, 2011, 12:51:22 PM

Are sources available? I'm suspicious in tools like this, we already had virus which sent wallet.dat over Internet in closed source tool for  Bitcoin wallet backups.  Also, this is first post of tool author on this forum...

No source, no install.

Hell, it doesn't even have to be a virus; the program itself could send the wallet.dat somewhere.

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
xenon481

Activity: 406

View Profile
May 02, 2011, 12:58:52 PM

Are sources available? I'm suspicious in tools like this, we already had virus which sent wallet.dat over Internet in closed source tool for  Bitcoin wallet backups.  Also, this is first post of tool author on this forum...

No source, no install.

Hell, it doesn't even have to be a virus; the program itself could send the wallet.dat somewhere.

Which we've also already had instances of in the past.

Tips Appreciated: 171TQ2wJg7bxj2q68VNibU75YZB22b7ZDr
error

View Profile
May 02, 2011, 03:47:39 PM

Or worse, if you just stuck your mining pool password into an untrustworthy program; it would be trivial for it to sweep away your accumulated balance to some random address.

[Tycho]

Activity: 742

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2011, 06:00:43 PM

Or worse, if you just stuck your mining pool password into an untrustworthy program; it would be trivial for it to sweep away your accumulated balance to some random address.
There is no way to do something with your balance by using only API token.

Welcome to my bitcoin mining pool: https://deepbit.net - Both payment schemes (including PPS), instant payout, no invalid blocks !
ICBIT Trading platform : USD/BTC futures trading, Bitcoin difficulty futures (NEW!). Third year in bitcoin business.
slush
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2011, 08:28:32 PM

There is no way to do something with your balance by using only API token.

But users still need to run blackbox on they computers, so I call for cautiousness...

qberty (OP)

View Profile
May 03, 2011, 03:00:41 AM

Wow, I understand everyones suspicious behavior but this isn't intended to be malicious. I'm not going anywhere. As long as people want this to be updated, I can do that. I may have a couple of posts, but I have lurked here for quite a bit for help on mining tips. So not charging for a fully working program is the least I could do.

Reasons for it being closed source is so that I have a proper handle on it. It's a simple program that aids Ease of Use for anyone mining.

There isn't an install because it's not fully like one of my original applications. Not enough features to put 100% support in. All I want is feedback related to it's function to make it a better and more easy to use program.

As for those bugs, I need a minimum of 5 different API selections before that bug fixes itself (Ofcourse I could just code a workaround, but I atleast want this programs lifecycle to include 10 API layouts).

If anyone can give me any wanted API systems they would like to monitor and the layout, i'd be glad.

As for current API issues, regarding slushs API. I realize that it's a little off, but that because it's selecting the wrong nest from the slush API. These JSON API's are harder to deal with when encrypting information.

Any more constructive criticism is welcome.

PS. If your too suspicious about my software, and think I want your bitcoins lol, then don't use this program. In my opinion, I want it to be useful for miners and mabye even pool owners if they have private API's
pwnyboy

Activity: 125
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 03, 2011, 03:51:56 AM

If you want to make it useful, release the source.  End of story.
qberty (OP)

View Profile
May 03, 2011, 04:41:58 AM

If you want to make it useful, release the source.  End of story.

That's pretty inconsiderate don't you think?

I spend time making software, and spend time testing it.

It may not be the best program, nor is it as useful as an actual miner but just because it's closed source like 90% of software on the internet does not mean that it should be shut out completely.

There's many programs that are successful and closed source because of originality and corruption issues.

If someone else wants to do what I'm doing and thinks they are capable, it defeats the purpose of using my source when they could just make it all themselves and call it their own. I for one don't strive on modifying other peoples work. Sure it takes less time to complete it, but it's not your own, nor is it as original.

Open source is out of the question until it's actually to peoples liking. Until then, stop trying to make an incomplete application open source JUST for the fact of it being open source. It being open source could help it progress, but it's my choice to start this application, if it hadn't been started by someone, everything on the planet would be on github for people to modify.

I figured it's a good decision to keep this closed source for the same fact that one person can actually learn something from their own projects. How do you gain experience if other people are solving problems for you.
error

View Profile
May 03, 2011, 04:52:30 AM

The source-code issue has nothing to do with your programming skill level or what you might learn. It has everything to do with the fact that you are an unknown quantity and have absolutely no reputation here.

qberty (OP)

View Profile
May 03, 2011, 05:35:12 AM

It's not upto me who uses the program. Windows 7 isn't open source but most people still use it. Same with every single Apple product. Keeping things closed source DOES improve skill by making only one person responsible of something. If they can't take that responsibility, they can open source it.

It's wrong to force someone to open source someone JUST so other people can tinker with it when it's at such an unstable state like this. It's completely un-ethical from a business standpoint, and only makes sense from nothing but a janitors standpoint.

I don't need reputation on a particular bulletin board to display my skill. If you don't like the program, don't use it. There's absolutely no need for you to voice un-related opinions that have nothing to do with the direction of the development of this program.

I created it. So, I think I have the right to decide what route it takes. If someone can do a better job, then do it. No one is forcing anyone to use my program. I'm just putting it out there. Yeah, i've only been registered on this forum for a couple days, but that has nothing related to the program besides respect and trust. That's it. None of those aspects actually take part in the development of this program, nor should it be a victim of it's own selection.

pwnyboy

View Profile
May 03, 2011, 06:44:44 AM

I think you're confused on the meaning of "open source".  Quite simply, it means that you've released your source code into the public domain, presumably with some kind of license (i.e. the public can use it to make derivative works or a commercial product, or the public cannot, etc).  Open-sourcing your product doesn't mean that you have to take code contributions from anyone else.

As was previously stated, the reason people would like you to open your code up is because you're an "unknown quantity".  I wasn't trying to be rude, just stating my opinion based on experience that uptake of your software will be considerably less with closed source *because* you're unknown on these forums.  And for goodness sake, stop comparing your product to the likes of Apple or Microsoft - these are multi-national multi-billion dollar enterprises.

By the way, I'd most certainly try your product if it were opened up.  I think it has larger and far more reaching implications than itself, which could serve the greater community.  For example, perhaps the off-spin of an API library for inclusion into other programs in the future.
error

View Profile
May 03, 2011, 11:22:57 AM

It's not upto me who uses the program. Windows 7 isn't open source but most people still use it. Same with every single Apple product. Keeping things closed source DOES improve skill by making only one person responsible of something. If they can't take that responsibility, they can open source it.

It's wrong to force someone to open source someone JUST so other people can tinker with it when it's at such an unstable state like this. It's completely un-ethical from a business standpoint, and only makes sense from nothing but a janitors standpoint.

I don't need reputation on a particular bulletin board to display my skill. If you don't like the program, don't use it. There's absolutely no need for you to voice un-related opinions that have nothing to do with the direction of the development of this program.

I created it. So, I think I have the right to decide what route it takes. If someone can do a better job, then do it. No one is forcing anyone to use my program. I'm just putting it out there. Yeah, i've only been registered on this forum for a couple days, but that has nothing related to the program besides respect and trust. That's it. None of those aspects actually take part in the development of this program, nor should it be a victim of it's own selection.

And none of this is even relevant. What part of "You are unknown and untrusted" don't you understand?

Anonymous

May 03, 2011, 12:34:51 PM

Ive spoken to him on irc a few times and he doesnt strike me as wanting to steal peoples wallets Smiley

slush
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2011, 02:50:42 PM

Maybe I'm paranoic, but using this type of closed sources utilities targeted to bitcoin are high-risk business for me. There is no reason to _not_ show the code, except it is doing something nasty or you're shy for your codebase.

Please don't take it personally, but:
1) You offering simple tool which does almost nothing except downloading one or two json files from the net.
2) This tool have full access to computers with (probably) thousands of bitcoins.
2) You are absolutely unknown entity for us.
3) You're refusing to show sources for no obvious reason (is there anything valuable in the sources?) and explaining that as "MS/Apple are also closed source"

Maybe you're just shy for your codebase, which I understand, but maybe you're just another script kiddie who want to 'earn' bitcoins easily. Who knows?

qberty (OP)

View Profile
May 03, 2011, 04:16:34 PM

Maybe I'm paranoic, but using this type of closed sources utilities targeted to bitcoin are high-risk business for me. There is no reason to _not_ show the code, except it is doing something nasty or you're shy for your codebase.

Please don't take it personally, but:
1) You offering simple tool which does almost nothing except downloading one or two json files from the net.
2) This tool have full access to computers with (probably) thousands of bitcoins.
2) You are absolutely unknown entity for us.
3) You're refusing to show sources for no obvious reason (is there anything valuable in the sources?) and explaining that as "MS/Apple are also closed source"

Maybe you're just shy for your codebase, which I understand, but maybe you're just another script kiddie who want to 'earn' bitcoins easily. Who knows?

I know.

I don't need a reason to protect my work, even if it's as simple as laying information out in a different way.

This application does NOT need admin rights on any OS. There fore it cannot utilize any port access, or send any data. For Windows, specifically windows 7 which this program was designed for, it can do nothign but pull data TO the client program. This application might not even work on XP, and maybe vista which is even more secure in terms of permissions than win7.

I know I don't have much people to vouch for me besides noagendamarket but I am going to tell you again, I don't have any malicious intention.

If this community is going to do nothing but bash people before getting anywhere, you'll be stuck.

Okay, so say this IS a virus, or it DOES steal your wallet.dat from wherever the hell it is on your computer. Yet you still trust it enough to run it, but don't trust what it'd do. A wise choice would be to run it in a sandbox, or wrap it with a vm sandbox and then run it. It would then do absolutely no damage, or harm to the host of the sandbox. Ofcourse, why would anyone here do that? You all just want open source, and don't care for closed source.

If you didn't realize by now. Software that is open source, gets no proper support, gets a gross development cycle and has no final version when multiple people are screwing with it. Whatever your defense is for making open source software has no ideal effect on what I actually develop. It's a different ballgame and Open source clearly loses to closed source. I designed this program for the END USER. Not another developer. So that's it. Enough of this open source discussion. It's not going to happen. Use this program, or don't. I don't need a big reps support.
pwnyboy

View Profile
May 03, 2011, 11:02:18 PM

You're severely misguided, and nobody is going to use your program in a sandbox, that defeats the whole purpose.  Get real.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: