Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 04:29:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: My Bitcoins are not stolen ..  (Read 4118 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2014, 11:50:52 AM

I'd been keeping my bitcoins since 2011, and isn't that difficult. Just that I use Linux, have no Win computer, and store some of them under different approaches, including "in the outer space" (brainwallets)

Linux is better than Windows as it is virus free. I also use Linux. If you want to give your BTC to your Son/Daughter, then brainwallets will be useless if you die unless you tell them. It will be good if you convert them to Fiat currency, if the USD/BTC price is average or higher.

Need suggestion...
Multisig is better, right? For families, it will be better to use multisig. So why don't you use Multisig?

Kindly,
       MZ

BCEmporium
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 11:58:00 AM

That issue exists for brain and regular wallets with password.
Multisig can help if you want to force your children to come together after you die, as they will need each other to be able to access the key. Otherwise is more for e-commerce escrowing.

My idea around that one was to built a password I could explain "how is it made" in a way that my descendants are able to access it after one month of trying or so; the money there worth the try. Still 1 BTC is holding half-way and kept as watch only address as trip wire in case they try to get it before I'm gone.

██████████████████            ██████████
████████████████              ██████████
██████████████          ▄█   ███████████
████████████         ▄████   ███████████
██████████        ▄███████  ████████████
████████        ▄█████████  ████████████
██████        ▄███████████  ████████████
████       ▄██████████████ █████████████
██      ▄███████████████████████████████
▀        ███████████████████████████████
▄          █████████████████████████████
██▄         ▀███████████████████████████
████▄        ▀██████████████████████████
██████▄        ▀████████████████████████
████████▄        ████████████████▀ █████
██████████▄       ▀█████████████  ██████
████████████▄       ██████████   ███████
██████████████▄      ▀██████    ████████
████████████████▄▄     ███     █████████
███████████████████▄    ▀     ██████████
█████████████████████▄       ███████████
███████████████████████▄   ▄████████████

▄█████████████████   ███             ███   ███   ███▄                ▄███            █████            ████████████████   ████████████████▄             █████
███▀                 ███             ███   ███   ████▄              ▄████           ███████           ███                ███           ▀███           ███████
███                  ███             ███   ███   █████▄            ▄█████          ███▀ ▀███          ███                ███            ███          ███▀ ▀███
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███ ███▄        ▄███ ███        ▄███▀   ▀███▄        ███                ███           ▄███        ▄███▀   ▀███▄
███                  ███████████████████   ███   ███  ▀██▄      ▄██▀  ███       ▄███▀     ▀███▄       ████████████████   ████████████████▀        ▄███▀     ▀███▄
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███   ▀███    ███▀   ███      ▄███▀       ▀███▄      ███                ███        ███          ▄███▀       ▀███▄
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███    ▀███  ███▀    ███     ▄███▀         ▀███▄     ███                ███         ███        ▄███▀         ▀███▄
███▄                 ███             ███   ███   ███      ██████      ███    ▄███             ███▄    ███                ███          ███      ▄███             ███▄
▀█████████████████   ███             ███   ███   ███       ████       ███   ▄███               ███▄   ████████████████   ███           ███    ▄███               ███▄

|
  TRUE BLOCKCHAIN GAMING PLATFORM 
DECENTRALISED AUTONOMOUS UNIVERSES

HOME PAGE                                                                  WHITE PAPER 
|
Pepin

Activity: 57
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 01:27:52 PM

Here is what I do. For cold storage it is really simple. I keep copies of the public and private keys and send coins to the public address. I don't need to worry about any software until it is time to spend the coins, which I have never done to date.
CharHill

Activity: 56

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 01:58:26 PM

How do someone can stole that?? Is the btc are not protected by stole??
DjPxH

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 02:02:30 PM

Here is what I do. For cold storage it is really simple. I keep copies of the public and private keys and send coins to the public address. I don't need to worry about any software until it is time to spend the coins, which I have never done to date.

Even then you won't necessarily have to worry about the keys! You could just sign your transactions on an offline device that's never connected to the internet and then publish the transaction on your main machine. That way no one can ever get hold of your private keys!

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
BCEmporium
Legendary

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 02:34:49 PM

Even then you won't necessarily have to worry about the keys! You could just sign your transactions on an offline device that's never connected to the internet and then publish the transaction on your main machine. That way no one can ever get hold of your private keys!

Depends on how much of BTC you have, if it is just a few bitcents won't pay of for have a dedicated computer for it.

▄█████████████████   ███             ███   ███   ███▄                ▄███            █████            ████████████████   ████████████████▄             █████
███▀                 ███             ███   ███   ████▄              ▄████           ███████           ███                ███           ▀███           ███████
███                  ███             ███   ███   █████▄            ▄█████          ███▀ ▀███          ███                ███            ███          ███▀ ▀███
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███ ███▄        ▄███ ███        ▄███▀   ▀███▄        ███                ███           ▄███        ▄███▀   ▀███▄
███                  ███████████████████   ███   ███  ▀██▄      ▄██▀  ███       ▄███▀     ▀███▄       ████████████████   ████████████████▀        ▄███▀     ▀███▄
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███   ▀███    ███▀   ███      ▄███▀       ▀███▄      ███                ███        ███          ▄███▀       ▀███▄
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███    ▀███  ███▀    ███     ▄███▀         ▀███▄     ███                ███         ███        ▄███▀         ▀███▄
███▄                 ███             ███   ███   ███      ██████      ███    ▄███             ███▄    ███                ███          ███      ▄███             ███▄
▀█████████████████   ███             ███   ███   ███       ████       ███   ▄███               ███▄   ████████████████   ███           ███    ▄███               ███▄

|

HOME PAGE                                                                  WHITE PAPER 
|
bitbinn

Activity: 55

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 02:43:02 PM

so what is the best way to secure my bitcoins so they won`t be stolen?
CrackedLogic
Legendary

Activity: 1050

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 02:52:49 PM

It depends on the amount and what you're comfortable with.

I have an external portable drive that has my most of my bitcoins stored with it, it's running with bitcoin core.

I only connect it to the internet once a month to update for the blockchain.

I know my private keys off by heart and I have a stored copy of it in my dad's vault.

Shocked BUY GAMESWITHBTCITCOINFORDISCOUNTEDPRICES Shocked
frankh13

Activity: 35

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 03:27:59 PM

I have an external portable drive that has my most of my bitcoins stored with it, it's running with bitcoin core.

I know my private keys off by heart and I have a stored copy of it in my dad's vault.

But btc includes security of 2 times spent, and how can you to make your transactions more safely??
CrackedLogic
Legendary

Activity: 1050

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 05:37:59 PM

But btc includes security of 2 times spent, and how can you to make your transactions more safely??

Oh,  that wallet only receives.  Im planning to hodl it hard.

Shocked BUY GAMESWITHBTCITCOINFORDISCOUNTEDPRICES Shocked
DjPxH

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 07:13:22 PM

Depends on how much of BTC you have, if it is just a few bitcents won't pay of for have a dedicated computer for it.

You don't have to. Just have a dedicated partition for it or use a live cd to sign those transactions. That way you'd have to spend 0.50-5.00 USD I guess...

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Muhammed Zakir

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2014, 07:17:11 PM

There are Malwares and Trojans for stealing BTC. If they got access to your computer which has wallet, then there is a likely chance of stealing your BTC.
Kindly,
      MZ

seriouscoin

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 07:25:08 PM

Just dont come back here and cry when you lose your coins ok kiddo?

The worst in security is when you think you're secured.
BitcoinLlama

Activity: 46

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 07:27:25 PM

Interesting and secure... you could teach classes on this...Bitcoin needs it.
BCEmporium
Legendary

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 07:35:49 PM

Taken on a different approach; the bitcoins I lost along the way. All of them were to online services, namely MtGox then MyBitcoin.com (same user/pwd combo) then MyBitcoin.com again (MBC went offline).
So whatever you do I would always recommend to stay away from online wallets and just leave at an exchange what you intend to exchange in a short term.

|

|
Muhammed Zakir

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2014, 07:59:23 PM

Taken on a different approach; the bitcoins I lost along the way. All of them were to online services, namely MtGox then MyBitcoin.com (same user/pwd combo) then MyBitcoin.com again (MBC went offline).
So whatever you do I would always recommend to stay away from online wallets and just leave at an exchange what you intend to exchange in a short term.

Earlier I used walllets on my pc but because of network problems, now I am using Blockchain wallet. I think it is secure. Smiley Anyway, I too suggest to stay away from online wallet unless you don't have any other options.
Kindly,
      MZ

BitcoinLlama

Activity: 46

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 08:14:34 PM

Surely having to go to such lengths to protect your Bitcoin is only going to make it harder for mass adoption?

Quoted for truth

It is likely bitcoin in 10-20 years will look different than how it does today, possibly easier for "the mass" to adopt.
spazzdla
Legendary

Activity: 1722

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 08:16:13 PM

Good write up!  I do something similar.
Beliathon

Activity: 784

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2014, 08:34:28 PM

Surely having to go to such lengths to protect your Bitcoin is only going to make it harder for mass adoption?
Things will change in time. Bitcoin will become easier, more user-friendly, more secure for the average joe.

When that happens, you will know. Because you will be rich.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
CharHill

Activity: 56

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 12:52:00 PM

There are Malwares and Trojans for stealing BTC. If they got access to your computer which has wallet, then there is a likely chance of stealing your BTC.
Kindly,
      MZ

But then, you would protect your PC, and btc protect include protects of all users. It's so sad i think.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: