Bitcoin Forum
May 29, 2024, 12:37:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Unrecognized! Trying to sign transaction on cold storage [solved]  (Read 1309 times)
bananaControl (OP)

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

Decentralize All The Things!

View Profile
July 20, 2014, 10:30:17 AM
Last edit: July 20, 2014, 01:05:25 PM by bananaControl

Hi,

I'm trying to sign a transaction on my cold storage, but armory will not let me do so. It gives me a big fat red "Unrecognized!" and when I press the "click here for more information about this transaction"-button I get this message: "Transaction is invalid and cannot be shown!"

What's going on here? This has never been a problem in the past.

Online Armory version: 0.91.99.8-beta
Cold storage Armory version: 0.90-beta
prezbo

Activity: 430

View Profile
July 20, 2014, 10:38:03 AM

Probably has something to do with this?
bananaControl (OP)

View Profile
July 20, 2014, 12:18:45 PM
Last edit: July 20, 2014, 12:40:50 PM by bananaControl

Probably has something to do with this?

Looks like you might be right. I will try to update my cold storage and see what happens.

Breaking compatibility like that and just give users big red non-descriptive error messages really isn't very elegant though  Undecided
bananaControl (OP)

View Profile
July 20, 2014, 12:37:24 PM

Updating Armory on my cold storage did the trick, thank you Smiley
doug_armory

Activity: 255

Senior Developer - Armory

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2014, 02:10:16 PM

Breaking compatibility like that and just give users big red non-descriptive error messages really isn't very elegant though  Undecided

Alan can correct me if I'm wrong but I believe he added a much clearer warning to 0.91.99.9.

Senior Developer -  Armory Technologies, Inc.
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
July 20, 2014, 02:20:10 PM

Alan can correct me if I'm wrong but I believe he added a much clearer warning to 0.91.99.9.
Is the warning going to be in the right place?

The warning should occur on the online instance of Armory as soon as they try to being the spending process from an offline wallet.

Currently you don't get a warning at all until you've created the unsigned transaction, moved it to the offline machine, and try to sign it.
prezbo

View Profile
July 20, 2014, 03:47:43 PM

Is the warning going to be in the right place?

The warning should occur on the online instance of Armory as soon as they try to being the spending process from an offline wallet.

Currently you don't get a warning at all until you've created the unsigned transaction, moved it to the offline machine, and try to sign it.

Of course you don't. The online armory doesn't know which version of offline armory you're using. Best it could do is to warn you it's incompatible with older versions and you should upgrade if that is the case.
justusranvier
Legendary

View Profile
July 20, 2014, 04:22:38 PM

Best it could do is to warn you it's incompatible with older versions and you should upgrade if that is the case.
Exactly.
prezbo

View Profile
July 20, 2014, 05:33:32 PM

Best it could do is to warn you it's incompatible with older versions and you should upgrade if that is the case.
Exactly.
I think getting such a warning every time would be rather annoying.
justusranvier
Legendary

View Profile
July 20, 2014, 05:54:06 PM

Somebody should invent a general solution to the problem of repetitive and redundant warning dialogs.

If only there was some way for a user to indicate that they have seen a warning and thus should not have not have it shown again... such an invention could be useful in a wide variety of situations.
prezbo

View Profile
July 20, 2014, 10:44:13 PM

Somebody should invent a general solution to the problem of repetitive and redundant warning dialogs.

If only there was some way for a user to indicate that they have seen a warning and thus should not have not have it shown again... such an invention could be useful in a wide variety of situations.
If seeing it once is enough than they can just make it clear on the download page and be done with it, a much simpler solution, no need for a dialog.
etotheipi
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2014, 11:52:27 PM

It's called "Do not ask again" or "Do not show this message again".  That's been there for a while but only when you click the "Offline Transactions" button on the main window.  On the .11 testing release, it is now also displayed when you try to create any unsigned transaction.  

If you click the "Do not show again" box, it will disable it in both places.

Founder and CEO of Armory Technologies, Inc.
Armory Bitcoin Wallet: Bringing cold storage to the average user!
Only use Armory software signed by the Armory Offline Signing Key (0x98832223)

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
justusranvier
Legendary

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 01:42:51 AM

It's called "Do not ask again" or "Do not show this message again".  That's been there for a while but only when you click the "Offline Transactions" button on the main window.  On the .11 testing release, it is now also displayed when you try to create any unsigned transaction.  

If you click the "Do not show again" box, it will disable it in both places.
Sounds perfect.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: