Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 03:48:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Newbie question on bitcoin transactions  (Read 1517 times)
stan.stan (OP)

Activity: 36
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 20, 2014, 01:16:39 PM

hey guys
I am new to using bitcoins and i would like to pay for a certain service however i would like my payment to be anonymous , so i would like to know if it is possible to make anonymous bitcoin payments and if yes , how exactly can i do that ? I have done some "googling" but haven't found anything on this issue. I would really appreciate your posts . Thanks a lot
Justin00
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
July 20, 2014, 01:56:27 PM

Are  you familiar with Tor ?
It can be used with Bitcoin-qt and possibly other clients.

That will hide your IP from other nodes seeing who sent the TX, in case they are logging them...I am not sure they do though Huh

The problem is... if you send from XX address.. and you tell people XX address is yours.. then people can see you sent money to some where.
Or if a friend of yours sent you the coins, then you pay the service, your friend will see you paid *someone*.

Basically if you buy coins anonymously into a new wallet, then pay the service then stop using that wallet, no one should be able to trace it back to you.
in theory.

whiteflight31

Activity: 28

View Profile
July 20, 2014, 02:18:39 PM

Yup, just use new wallet only for this transaction, you can use TOR.
It won't hurt, if you do it all through VPN, also.
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3273

View Profile
July 20, 2014, 04:00:26 PM

hey guys
I am new to using bitcoins and i would like to pay for a certain service however i would like my payment to be anonymous , so i would like to know if it is possible to make anonymous bitcoin payments and if yes , how exactly can i do that ? I have done some "googling" but haven't found anything on this issue. I would really appreciate your posts . Thanks a lot

A bitcoin payment only has an address associated with it. The level of anonymity depends on the ability to associate the address with your identity. It is nearly impossible for any normal person to make the association, unless you have publicly linked the two. However, it is possible for law enforcement to link them unless you take precautions.

And don't forget that the person you send the bitcoins to may know who you are.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
tatu

Activity: 138
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 20, 2014, 06:16:13 PM

It depends what level of anonymity you want. Bitcoin can be completly anonymous, but can also be tied to you pretty easily if you're not careful or lax with your details.
ACCTseller

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

no longer selling accounts

View Profile
July 20, 2014, 06:35:11 PM

It would be advisable to use some kind of mixing service (bitcoin fog - only accessible via tor, or bitmixer.io - accessible via the clearnet) after you purchase your coins on an exchange.

When you go go spend your coins you should use a VPN or TOR to mask your IP address as the person who sent the TX.
Frijj

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 20, 2014, 07:07:52 PM

Depends on what service you are sending money to as well. If it's tied to your account name of that service it can be traced that way, though its obviously not like being traced by your credit details.
Justin00
Legendary

Activity: 910

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
July 20, 2014, 09:30:44 PM
Last edit: July 20, 2014, 09:53:48 PM by Justin00

Yeah what he said.

Depends on what service you are sending money to as well. If it's tied to your account name of that service it can be traced that way, though its obviously not like being traced by your credit details.

Also I forgot to say last night, if you are using an exchange or service that does NOT need to verify your ID (like btc-e or bter so far..) sign up and access it using Tor and use a fake name and username not tied to your usual usernames. Some sites will block Tor so you will need to play around until you find one that it allows through.

When you find an exitnode save the IP (goto www.whatismyip.com) and enter it manually into your torrc file so you can use it on demand when you access the site.

torrc (keep all the other stuff be enter in)

ExitNodes X.X.X.X
StrictExitNodes 1

Actively swap it up and find others to use though..you don't want to keep using the same exitnode to access the same site often, you know just in case Smiley

obocaman

Activity: 70

View Profile
July 20, 2014, 10:01:21 PM

use the cryptonote coins Huh
obocaman

Activity: 70

View Profile
July 20, 2014, 10:10:45 PM

is dark wallet as anonymous as monero coin?
stan.stan (OP)

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 07:45:25 AM

That will hide your IP from other nodes seeing who sent the TX, in case they are logging them...I am not sure they do though Huh

The problem is... if you send from XX address.. and you tell people XX address is yours.. then people can see you sent money to some where.
Or if a friend of yours sent you the coins, then you pay the service, your friend will see you paid *someone*.

Basically if you buy coins anonymously into a new wallet, then pay the service then stop using that wallet, no one should be able to trace it back to you.
in theory.

I use elecrum as my bitcoin wallet / client , Would this process of using TOR for anonymous transactions work with Electrum ? Also I came across this article online http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1c8yb3/a_stepbystep_guide_to_creating_an_anonymous/ has anyone used this method before and did it work ?
Yuki1988

Activity: 614

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 07:54:50 AM

Or, you can simply use Tor browser to access http://blockchain.info/pushtx or https://btc.blockr.io/tx/push to push your tx to the network. Smiley

stan.stan (OP)

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 08:59:48 AM

is dark wallet as anonymous as monero coin?

How about this ? How effective is dark wallet / monero coin and can they be used for anonymous payments ? If anyone here has used either one then what has your experience been like with them and which would you say is best ?
stan.stan (OP)

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 07:10:47 PM

It would be advisable to use some kind of mixing service (bitcoin fog - only accessible via tor, or bitmixer.io - accessible via the clearnet) after you purchase your coins on an exchange.

When you go go spend your coins you should use a VPN or TOR to mask your IP address as the person who sent the TX.

Or, you can simply use Tor browser to access http://blockchain.info/pushtx or https://btc.blockr.io/tx/push to push your tx to the network. Smiley

Can you guys please explain how this works ? Would like to use either one of the methods suggested but i don't have a clue. I'm new to using btc
stan.stan (OP)

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 04:36:27 PM

Anyone ? Huh
ACCTseller

Activity: 532

no longer selling accounts

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 05:05:54 PM

Can you guys please explain how this works ? Would like to use either one of the methods suggested but i don't have a clue. I'm new to using btc
If you go to bitmixer.io (search these forums and google to make sure you can trust them) you simply click on, add foreward address and past in a BTC address that you control but have not yet used. I would recommond clicking on "add one more foreward address" for added anominoty at least once to add an additional foreward address. You select the time delay that you want the coins to have before they send it to you.

You will then click on mix my coins and there will be an address to send the coins that you want mixed to. At the bottom there is a letter of guarantee that you will need to open and save in case there is a problem. You then send the coins that you want mixed to the address provided and bitmixer will give you new coins that are not associated with your previous coins at the addresses that you provided them.
stan.stan (OP)

View Profile
January 15, 2015, 07:28:22 AM

So after almost 6 months I am returning to this topic, I abandoned the idea of mixing coins but now I am back to it all over again so it wouldn't really make sense to create a new topic entirely. Anyway would like to ask this:
when mixing coins for the sake of anonymity, would I have to create a totally new address on my electrum wallet to receive the mixed coins? Also I have cyberghost VPN on my pc, would this be enough to ensure that my payments are anonymous?
opossum

Activity: 924

View Profile
January 15, 2015, 07:52:38 AM

So after almost 6 months I am returning to this topic, I abandoned the idea of mixing coins but now I am back to it all over again so it wouldn't really make sense to create a new topic entirely. Anyway would like to ask this:
when mixing coins for the sake of anonymity, would I have to create a totally new address on my electrum wallet to receive the mixed coins? Also I have cyberghost VPN on my pc, would this be enough to ensure that my payments are anonymous?
You really should always create a new address for every transaction that you send.

It would probably be a good idea to create an entirely new wallet to receive the transaction from your mixer if you are using electrum because it could potentially spend funds you received with other funds that are linked to your identity in the same transaction 

▄▄█████████▄▄
      ▄█████████████████▄
   ▄████▀            ▀████▄
  █████                █████▄
 ███████████████████████████▄
████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███▄
████        ██████        ████
 ████▄      ██████      ▄████
  ▀████     ██████    ▄████▀